Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318Gv2: ping pcname results in ping pcname.netgear.com... need to remove suffix - case # 25539883

nousndthem
Aspirant

FVS318Gv2: ping pcname results in ping pcname.netgear.com... need to remove suffix - case # 25539883

I just relpaced a broken FVS318G with a new FVS318Gv2 and have a configuration problem that I can't find a fix for.

I vaguely remember getting rid of this in the old FVS318G
so that I could       ping machinename         and get results without the router adding the suffix      .netgear.com

... but can't remember specifically how to do it.

This also seems to be what is blocking my remote desktop connections to other PCs on the LAN.

If you can, please just point me to the location in the menus and tell me how to remove .netgear.com

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FVS318Gv2: ping pcname results in ping pcname.netgear.com ... need to remove suffix

Hi nousndthem,

I just want to share this forum link below I found online and this might help you:

http://superuser.com/questions/97103/how-to-remove-local-dns-suffix-on-windows-7

Hope it helps.  Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Regards,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 2 of 4
nousndthem
Aspirant

Re: FVS318Gv2: ping pcname results in ping pcname.netgear.com ... need to remove suffix

Thanks DaneA but it's not a Windows issue it's a new netgear product configuration issue.

The documentation isn't great.

A phone support call solved it. The solution is removing "netgear.com"

Network Configuration > Lan Setup > Edit VLAN Profile > Delete "netgear.com"

Now ping pcname results in ping pcname with no suffix and a reply from the ping machine and my remote desktop connections are now working.

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi nousndthem,

Thank you for your response and posting the solution.

I am glad that you have contacted Netgear Support and the problem is now resolved.  Smiley Happy

Cheers,

DaneA

Netgear Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements