Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS336GV2 Nat or Routing ?

rsisson
Aspirant

FVS336GV2 Nat or Routing ?

I am trying to secure our home network a bit more before it gets "tested".

I understand NAT, and I understand Routing. What I don't understand is how the FVS336GV2 can do routing without NAT or if that is what it is doing.

On my Network Configuration - WAN Mode, I can choose "Use NAT or Classical Routing between WAN & LAN interfaces?"

What does "Classical Routing" do differently and is it any better than NAT?

I Google'd this and found lots of stuff on NAT and firewalls and software vs hardware and more, but nothing that compared NAT vs Routing in the same device...
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
fordem
Mentor

Re: FVS336GV2 Nat or Routing ?

I'm not so sure that you understand NAT or why it's necessary.

Answer this question - do you need to share a single public ip between multiple devices - or in the case of a dual WAN router such as the FVS336G, two public ip addresses?

If the answer is yes, then classic routing is not an option, you MUST use NAT and this is why you're unlikely to see a comparison between the two - consider them mutually exclusive options, that do different things.

If you used the FVS336 as a classic router connected to the internet (and yes, you can use it that way), you're going to need a public routable ip address for every device on it's LAN interface

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 17

All Replies
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

classical routing removed the NAT .

use NAT all times for regular setup unless you have useable IP from ISP that you want use on devices on LAN
Message 2 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WAN Mode
The WAN mode page allows you to configure how your router should use your external Internet connections, for example your WAN1 and WAN2 port connections.
NAT is a technique which allows several computers on a LAN to share an Internet connection. The computers on the LAN use a "private" IP address range while the WAN port on the router is configured with a single "public" IP address.
Along with connection sharing, NAT also hides internal IP addresses from the computers on the Internet.

NAT (Network Address Translation)
Select NAT if your ISP has assigned only one IP address to you. The computers that connect through the router will need to be assigned IP addresses from a private subnet (example: 192.168.1.0). If your ISP has assigned an IP address for each of the computers that you use, select Classic Routing.
Message 3 of 17
fordem
Mentor

I'm not so sure that you understand NAT or why it's necessary.

Answer this question - do you need to share a single public ip between multiple devices - or in the case of a dual WAN router such as the FVS336G, two public ip addresses?

If the answer is yes, then classic routing is not an option, you MUST use NAT and this is why you're unlikely to see a comparison between the two - consider them mutually exclusive options, that do different things.

If you used the FVS336 as a classic router connected to the internet (and yes, you can use it that way), you're going to need a public routable ip address for every device on it's LAN interface
Message 4 of 17
crowland
Aspirant

This has been suggested on various pages returned from a google search as the way to disable SPI on this router. I need to use NAT and disable SPI. Is there a way to do that?
Message 5 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Look under firewall tab and SPI should be there
Message 6 of 17
crowland
Aspirant

I do not see it under the Security->Firewall menu option.

Under the Attack Checks tab I see Enable Stealth Mode, Block TCP Flood, and Block UDP Flood all of which are unchecked. Not under the Advanced tab either.
Message 7 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Top of my head I may didn't pointed but right tab but you already saw what you should have seen so

Location you mention is the only place to look
Message 8 of 17
crowland
Aspirant

So there is no way to do this?
Message 9 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Use NAT and don't open the ports would mostly fine

Go to GRC.com and run shields up and if you pass well then you should be ok
Message 10 of 17
crowland
Aspirant

Does running shields up disable SPI? From what I can tell it does not do that.
Message 11 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

What may you think it does for something the website check ports opening check only ?
Message 12 of 17
crowland
Aspirant

Sorry, I do not understand what you are asking.
Message 13 of 17
fordem
Mentor

ShieldsUp does NOT disable SPI, it only checks to see how your router/firewall responds when queried - why do you want to disable SPI?
Message 14 of 17
crowland
Aspirant

I read that SPI has overhead that affects throughput. Current throughput is 50% of the rated speed of the router. It is a new router from Netgear I just got a couple of days ago as an RMA replacement for my old FVS336Gv1 that died. Have updated to latest firmware, reset to defaults, and added my isp info.
Message 15 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

What is the ISP speed and speed behind FVS
Message 16 of 17
crowland
Aspirant

ISP with their throwaway router - 50
FVS - 32
(download)