Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS336Gv2 No Internet connection for some users

Scootysdad
Novice

FVS336Gv2 No Internet connection for some users

My FVS336Gv2 firmware v3.1.1-08 has about 50 connected devices. Some do not have internet connectivity even though they can see other devices within our LAN. All of the devices are Windows 7. All using IPv4 with some having IPv6 enabled. I've disabled and enabled IPv6 on the problem devices to no avail.

Question: Is there a limit to how many connected devices for this router?
Message 1 of 19
Nhellie
Virtuoso

You can configure session limit but that is disabled by default.

Can you test it with FW 4.3.2-7?

http://support.netgear.com/product/fvs336gv2
Message 2 of 19
adit
Mentor

Scootysdad wrote:
Question: Is there a limit to how many connected devices for this router?
No limits, other than the subnet mask that you choose. Are they DHCP or Static IP clients? Any proxy enabled? Make sure that the FVS is the default gateway for the clients.
Message 3 of 19
Scootysdad
Novice

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
The router does not have DHCP enabled. Devices are assigned static private IPs 192.168.xxx.xxx.

The latest firmware has some stability problem regarding port forwarding so I backed down to 3.1.1-08.
Message 4 of 19
Scootysdad
Novice

Are they DHCP or Static IP clients? Any proxy enabled?
No proxy. IPs are static with the FVS being the default gateway with auto metric.

The FVS is set to WAN roll-over but that does not matter any how.

All clients are Win7 with and without IPv6 enabled (no correlation there).

I have a second identical FVS on a separate ISP working as gateway #2 (192.168.0.2). If I switch the problematic user over to gateway #2 then the client has internet access. Switching back to gateway #1 and it goes nowhere.
Message 5 of 19
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Scootysdad wrote:
The latest firmware has some stability problem regarding port forwarding so I backed down to 3.1.1-08.

When backed down to v3.1.1-08 did you perform a factory reset then configure your FVS336Gv2 from scratch?
Message 6 of 19
Scootysdad
Novice

I did a complete reset many times already. I restored the configuration from an earlier back up as well as reconfiguring it from scratch to no avail. This is a 6-month ordeal. Nothing I've done seemed to affect the count of devices not able to access the internet. Hence I figured there might be a limit on the number of connected devices.
Message 7 of 19
fordem
Mentor

Question one. If you were to do a reset (or power cycle) of the router, (so as to clear arp cache, MAC tables etc.), do you run into the problem after a given number of systems have connected - or - does the problem always affect the same systems, regardless of the number of systems affected? Question two If you were to interchange the two identical routers (you would only need to change the LAN addresses, and the WAN connections), does the problem also show up with the second router, or is it unique to one particular router? If it does, that would suggest defective hardware.
Message 8 of 19
Scootysdad
Novice

fordem:

As far as resetting the router/cycling the power or any activity that will cause the router to start from a known state have been done. Regardless of what I did, it would seem the same specific devices would not have access to the Internet.

On those devices, if I change the gateway address to the secondary router then they work. I've deleted the protocol stack on those devices. Changed the IPv4 from static values to DHCP and back. Uninstalled Symantec Endpoint Protection. Disabled firewall. Nothing seemed to have any effect.

The second router does not have the same number of connected devices and those problem devices work just fine on the secondary router (having a lower bandwidth, this router is not an ideal solution).
Message 9 of 19
fordem
Mentor

Scootysdad wrote:
Regardless of what I did, it would seem the same specific devices would not have access to the Internet.

This has piqued my curiosity - can you ping the router and/or access the router's config page from these devices?

If the answer is no, take a look at the devices arp cache - does it show the router's ip/mac pair as static or dynamic, and if static does the MAC match the router?
Message 10 of 19
Scootysdad
Novice

Those problem devices access all of the internal resources perfectly. It just could not get past the gateway. They can ping the gateway and reach all of the network services (SMTP/SQL) without a problem. They can resolve a DNS query, though the DNS server/forwarder is within their subnet.

Using tracert, I was able to get to the router. So it stopped there. The packet capture facility on the FVS saw the ICMP packets from the problem devices though there are no indication that it was forwarded.
Message 11 of 19
fordem
Mentor

Thanks for making that clear - let's go back to my previous train of thought - swapping the routers. First - the suggestion was made as a diagnostic test, and not as a solution to the issue - if the problem does not occur when the second router.is substituted for the first one, that could point to failed or failing hardware, which can then be confirmed by pointing a problem device to the original router by changing it's default gateway. Second - if I understood you correctly, the routers are identical, so and bandwidth differences have to relate to the WAN links - if you look at my post, you'll see I suggested interchanging the routers' LAN ip addresses and WAN connections - so router2 takes the place of router1 - maybe I am missing something, but I don't see how lower bandwidth affects the test or makes it "non ideal".
Message 12 of 19
Scootysdad
Novice

fordem wrote:
This has piqued my curiosity - can you ping the router and/or access the router's config page from these devices?

If the answer is no, take a look at the devices arp cache - does it show the router's ip/mac pair as static or dynamic, and if static does the MAC match the router?

It's static and it does match the router's MAC. Using the packet capture facility on the FVS I was able to identify that the router itself received the ICMP packets from device but no disposition on what happened with those packets.
Message 13 of 19
fordem
Mentor

Under normal circumstances, the only static arp entries will be a couple of multicast & broadcast addresses, so you have something odd going on with those clients, and that might be the problem - you can delete the static arp entries using the arp command, but if you have already deleted & recreated the protocol stack, any static arp entries should have been cleared. In any case, as long as the arp entry has the correct MAC address, it should work, and you say you can see icmp packets reaching the router, so that's not where the issue is. Back to swapping the routers as a test.
Message 14 of 19
Scootysdad
Novice

Back to swapping the routers as a test.[/QUOTE]

What I meant to say was that the primary router has a 10MBPS WAN connection while the secondary router has a DSL/4MBPS WAN connection. Both has the other's WAN connection as a roll-over.

On the problematic device, I configured its default gateway to the primary router (as well as 40 other devices). Although the other devices work without a problem, these devices just can't get past the router. The packet reached the router because it shows up in the router's packet capture facility.

So I changed these problematic devices so their default gateway is now the secondary router. I has internet connectivity just fine. Packet capture shows ICMP packets going out and responses coming back.

Nothing else changed on these machines other than the default gateway address (ergo the router).
Message 15 of 19
fordem
Mentor

I hear you, I understand that, and I'm suggesting you transfer router1's connections to router2 (and vice versa) and change router1's LAN address to router 2 (and vice versa), and leave the clients just as they are. If the problematic client connects to the internet when connected to the "new" router1(which it may not with a static arp entry - because of the static arp entry) change the default gateway to point to the new "router2" - if it looses it's connection, the problem just might be defective router hardware. I realize that this is frustrating you, but, there are several areas that you have pointed out to me WORK - yup, but the traffic don't pass through the router for that to work, so I expect it to. Things like being able to access everything else on the LAN - LAN~LAN traffic doesn't pass through the router, SQL/SMTP - those only pass through the router if the server is "off the local LAN", DNS with the resolver on the subnet. I'm asking questions to try to establish a pattern, and there are two things that strike me as odd - the packet capture utility shows the icmp packets reaching the router - why would the router not pass those particular packets? The second one is why is the routers arp entry showing up as static? Are the two related? I've checked four different systems, including one with a static address and in every case the arp entry for the default router has been dynamic - I'm not going to tell you that the problem is not the router, although, to be honest, I don't think it is, so I'm looking for away to be able to test the router itself. Another approach might be to collect all the MAC addresses in your network - I know, I know, tedious) and parse them in to the binary format and then look at all the problem devices, do they have a particular bit set? It might sound strange, but I date back to an era when we repaired computers with a logic analyzer and a soldering iron, so my mind works differently
Message 16 of 19
Scootysdad
Novice

fordem wrote:
It might sound strange, but I date back to an era when we repaired computers with a logic analyzer and a soldering iron, so my mind works differently

Man! You've dated yourself. I will check that out. Thanks for the assist.
Message 17 of 19
Scootysdad
Novice

[QUOTE=fordem;495431]I'm suggesting you transfer router1's connections to router2 (and vice versa) and change router1's LAN address to router 2 (and vice versa), and leave the clients just as they are.

😞 Same clients are having problems after I swapped the routers' LAN ip's. The clients do show up in the attached devices tables.

Sorry about misinformation, the ARP cache shows everything dynamic except 192.168.xxx.255, 224.0.0.2, 224.0.0.252, and 239.255.255.250.

Got every MAC address on the network. I can't begin to tell you what I need to look for. Nothing jumps out at me.
Message 18 of 19
SamirD
Prodigy

Scootysdad wrote:
😞 Same clients are having problems after I swapped the routers' LAN ip's. The clients do show up in the attached devices tables.
So is each router still connected to its same wan? (10 or 4Mbs)

You're lucky that you have two identical routers and two wans to test with, so what fordem was suggesting to do (I believe) is physically swap the units, changing the LAN as necessary to fully swap over each unit to the others' function.

Then if the problem follows the router, it's a possible hardware issue. If the problem stays with the same wan/lan configuration, it could be something else.

Are you able to run a ping from each router's diag page to the internet?
Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements