Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firewall rules with softwares and VPN

Ahiro
Aspirant

Firewall rules with softwares and VPN

Hello everybody!

I'm trying to configure our new firewall in order to securise our network but I got some questions :

- How to configure firewall rules? I mean I got several softwares I use to work with and I don't want them to be blocked. Must I configure a new service and then use inbound/outbound rules to allow them? If yes how can I know the port they are using?

- I want to use the VPN server in our Firewall. Should I create some specific rules to connect myself to the network remotely or will the Firewall let me pass through it?

- My Firewall is right behind the modem. Should I configure my modem in bridge mode in order to access to the VPN server?

Thank you for your reply! I stay tuned 😉

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Re : Firewall rules with softwares and VPN

Hi Ahiro,

If you are referring to the FVS336Gv3 to be used as a modem, I am certain this is not possible.  I suggest you to contact your ISP and request them to change your modem to one that is configurable to bridge mode. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
Ahiro
Aspirant

Re : Firewall rules with softwares and VPN

Oh and the last question :

Can I delete the modem before in order to use the VPN server or can I let the modem?

The modem don't got any bridge mode...

Here is my configuration :

Internet => Modem (FritzBox) => FVS336Gv3 => Internal network

So there is a network between modem and firewall at the moment and another network after the firewall.

It would be nice if the firewall can be used as a modem but I don't think so...

Message 2 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Ahiro, 

Welcome to the community! 

I have listed down your questions and my answers will be below each one of them: 

- How to configure firewall rules? I mean I got several softwares I use to work with and I don't want them to be blocked. Must I configure a new service and then use inbound/outbound rules to allow them? If yes how can I know the port they are using?

-To configure firewall rules, go to Security>Firewall Rules

-There is a pre-defined list of rules that you can already use, if you do not see the service that you are looking for then that is the time you will add a custom service. 

-You will have to check it on the device/software itself. See the manual or ask the manufacturer. The firewall does not have the option to see what ports the devices are using. 

- I want to use the VPN server in our Firewall. Should I create some specific rules to connect myself to the network remotely or will the Firewall let me pass through it?

-No rules necessary, once it is connected to the tunnel you should be able to access the resources on the remote network unless you have defined a specific rule on one of them. 

- My Firewall is right behind the modem. Should I configure my modem in bridge mode in order to access to the VPN server?

-Yes, you'll need to have it bridged. If there is no option to bridge it then check if it has a DMZ port option. The DMZ will forward all request to the FVS336Gv3. 

-This should also answer you last question. 

Let me know if this helps. 

Thanks, 

Message 3 of 10
Ahiro
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply!

So I've just checked my modem : no bridge more and no DMZ... Such a crap!

So I tried to forward all of the ports to my Firewall but it didn't work! The modem (FritzBox) still keep VPN packets for itself and doesn't give them to the firewall and I can't stop that...

So here is my last question : Can I use the FVS336Gv3 as a modem integrating VPN server at the same time? This way I (hope) 'll be able to access to the VPN server with WAN ip address and my LAN network will still get connexion to the Internet.

Tell me if this is possible please...

Thank you!

Message 4 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Ahiro, 

I don't think it has a modem functionality, other modems need to specify VCI/VPI settings. But there is an option on the router to enter PPPoE settings. Do you need to enter PPPoE settings or is it dynamic? 

Thanks,

Message 5 of 10
Ahiro
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

For the moment, this is dynamic but I can enter PPPoE and PPTP settings if I want to.

The router is asking if my Internet connection requires a login and then I'm able to configure PPPoE or PPTP settings.

Does it means I can use it as a modem if I put my internet settings? But it asks for account name, domain name, my ip address and server ip address. What should I put in there?

Message 6 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Ahiro, 

Yes, it has those fields in case you are using a "bridged" modem. All settings including IP addresses and server IP address should be provided by the ISP. To answer you question, I am still unsure because it will depend on your ISP. 

Thanks,

Message 7 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Ahiro, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your concern or if you need further assistance.  If ever your concern has been resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 10
Ahiro
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

My problem isn't resolved yet since I still got not information about using the firewall as a modem.

I didn't test it yet and I'm still looking for an issue.

Message 9 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Ahiro,

If you are referring to the FVS336Gv3 to be used as a modem, I am certain this is not possible.  I suggest you to contact your ISP and request them to change your modem to one that is configurable to bridge mode. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements