Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fvs318gv2 connectivity issues

SamirD
Prodigy

Re: Fvs318gv2 connectivity issues

I think a lot of those Cisco layoffs have to do with them trimming the fat on acquisitions or divisions that aren't the 'core' of Cisco like Linksys and the Meraki acquisition.  I hope it doesn't spell bad things for CSCO.  I've owned that stock since 1995...

Message 26 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Didn't they sell Linksys to Belkin?

A bit off topic, but I look forward to the day that my Netgear FVS-318Gv2 and FVS-318N are running as they should be.

Message 27 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

I don't think they did.  But I haven't looked at any linksys products in quite a while now.

Yes, it would be nice if your 318s worked like they should.  They are quite nice for what they are when they're up and running.  

We used to have some bandaids in place to keep our rv016s up and solid (script to reboot them every 24hrs).  We had the same script on our old fvs114, but then had to step that up to a hardware rebooter.  Luckily the 114 rebooted in literally a second so that wasn't that big of a deal.  Once the 114 wan port died, we put a spare rv016 in its place while I searched for a real solution.  During that time, we ran across a great deal on some nib 318Ns and got those.  Finally switched out the fvs124g I was using at my endpoint with a 318 as a test.  Initially it was super-painful (just like you're going through now), but once it was up and solid, it was great.  We installed another 318N at a new location, and again setup was a pain since dhcp was an issue on the firmware we were on.  But a firmware upgrade later, it was up and solid too.  Then we replaced the rv016 with a watchguard and sold off the businesses where the rv016s were so they came back as spares.  I've taken a rv016 overseas to quickly build a tunnel when I need one, but other than that, we've just have them, one 318, and the fvs124g as backups.  We still have the 114 and we might put that in place as a switch where we need one.  It's amazing how long of a life networking equipment really has.

Message 28 of 133
shiekh
Guide

http://www.belkin.com/us/pressreleases/8802834973756/

"March 15, 2013 – Belkin today announced the completion of its acquisition of Linksys."

Lets hope the next firmware update does the trick.

Message 29 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

Interesting.  I don't think Cisco bought all of Linksys when they did.  I think they only bought the 'business' side of Linksys, which was quite small at the time since their only products were the rv-series routers.  I bought our first rv016 around this time and didn't know if I was going to get the Linksys branded one or the Cisco branded ones.

[img]http://compulab.co/compulab/auction/images/computer/rv016_router_2.jpg[/img]

Message 30 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

Man, I just happen to see this...  I too just bought this junk!  And worst... and I have the same issues...   My internet connection doesn't stay up.  I try a couple of reboot... But worst is my VPN doesn't wanted to stay up either.  Sometime it work sometime it didn't!  

What the hell! I too upgraded to the latest version firmware... Did many resets!  and Factory reset... Nothing!

Message 31 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Welcome to hell... you are in good company 😉

But it has to be working for some people, so maybe we can share our provider and modem; looking for comon modalities... for me

Provider: Charter

Modem: Arris TM822G

Message 32 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

Well, I am in Toronto, Canada.  My Provider is Rogers.  I did what you guys suggest. Just go into the GUI and do a reboot!  But damn!  After I did that, my VPN won't stay up!  Should have just brough a Dlink!

Message 33 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Modem?

Message 34 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

It is hitron.  Model: CGN3.   I beleive is this one.

http://www.hitron-americas.com/product/cgn3/

Message 35 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

One thing I just thought of that I've done to each of my FVS318Ns is to disable all flood checks and other firewall features and see if that helps.

I know that on the Cisco rv016s we had, they would think they were under attack by the ISP because the ISP was sending 100 packets/second of ack/nak packets (it amounted to 4k/sec of data--the equivalent to the entire bandwidth of a dial-up modem).  And they would drop the wan and not come back up, which sounds oddly like this issue.

The type of modem wouldn't matter since its the head end carrier equipment that would be the issue.

Message 36 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

I just did a factory reset.  Resetup my Router and this time everything working.  VPN and DMZ... everything.  I set the router to do a reboot every night at 4:50 AM.  Let see if it can stay up this time!

Man, what the hell is this!  Does Netgear know this issues?  I just file a support ticket.  Does anyone of you have the same issues contacted support?  This is bull**bleep**!

Message 37 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Don't reset!

The way to get them to work is bring them up with nothing connected, then connect them up; they will work fine till rebooted...

Message 38 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

I though people say you can just go into the router web setup.  Monitoring, Diagnostics then hit the Reboot button.  And that way the router will stay up.

Message 39 of 133
shiekh
Guide

You are right, I forgot this.

Message 40 of 133
rickgode
Aspirant

The GUI reboot doesn't/didn't work for me after the latest firmware update.  I haven’t had a power outage since the last fiasco and when mine is running, it runs FANTASTIC!  

I am reluctant to pull the power to test if these fixes Band-Aids worked.  As the last time the power went out it took weeks until it came back up.

Provider:  Charter

Modem: Motorola SURFboard 6121

Ricky

Message 41 of 133
shiekh
Guide

I am jealous and will now proceed to sulk...

After a reboot (good nights sleep) I'll be back... 😉

Message 42 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

Crap, I know why my VPN kept going down.  Turning on the DMZ will kill it!  Why?????  WTF wrong with Netgear!  If you put any DMZ WAN Rule in Security will kill your VPN!  You can log into VPN.  but you can't see anything or connect to anything once you are in!  

Message 43 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

I just got a reply from support.  Because I bought this thing from eBay they say they can't help me with it even the unit is new!  What the hell.  He said, he things is a defective unit.  I told him and a copy the link to show him, it is a firmware issues.  But all he care is close the ticket and move on!

Lesson learn!  I will never buy NetGear again... This is the final $160 you get from me! Period!

Message 44 of 133
shiekh
Guide

I was also told it was defective; but I didn't have the time or money to waste on getting a refurbished unit that had the same issue. You should still be able to register the unit, no matter where you purchased it from.

When my FVS-318N showed these issues, I was foolish enough to purchase a new FVS-318Gv2; they use the same circuit board, although I didn't know that at the time.

So now I just look forward to a new firmware in the hope I will one day be able to use these units; till then my ZyXEL VFG6005N firewall does sterling service (with gigabit ports).

Message 45 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

Well, I did that GUI reboot it is now over 14 hours... no issues so far...  Just keep hoping...

Message 46 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Very promising

However, the problem is a power glitch, when the unit reboots normally.

Message 47 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

Well, hope they fix all these bugs on the router... It is a good router... just the firmware is crap.

Message 48 of 133
shiekh
Guide

It runs cool, it runs fast... for 10 mins

Message 49 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

Well after 48 hours here is what happen.  I set my router to reboot itself inside the GUI at 4:50 AM each monring.  The frist 14 hours went fine after I manually did a reboot inside the GUI.  On Saturday morning at 4:50am it reboot itself as I programed it, worked fine for 24 hours.  Then this (Sunday) morning it again reboot itself as I programed at 4:50am, I came home at 6:30 and my internet light went out!  I need to unplug it off the wall and plug it back in.  

I do shift work, and I am doing night shift.  I was trying to access my VPN around 4:57am, while it is rebooting... maybe that screw it up or something... But I give it more testing run...

But if Netgear reading this!  PLEASE GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!  AND RELEASE A GOOD FIRMWARE!!!!!!

I don't know how many router they sell, but this is happen on every FVS318GV2 out there???!?

Message 50 of 133
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 132 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements