Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fvs318gv2 connectivity issues

shiekh
Guide

Re: Fvs318gv2 connectivity issues

Same problem seen on the FVS318N, but I doubt everyone sees it, as there are some positive reviews on amazon.com

Like you I need the unit to recover gracefully from a power glitch, as I am not always present.

Message 51 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

@cclo wrote:

I set my router to reboot itself inside the GUI at 4:50 AM each monring.

Would you mind sharing exactly how you did this?  I've not had the need to set this up yet, but it would be very useful to know how to do it.

Message 52 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

I have experienced my 318n acting funky when it loses its wan.  It also needs a very extended time to boot and start working propertly (at least 30m).  This seems to just be the nature of the beast.  The two huge drawbacks to these units I've run across is the boot time and the dhcp server, but the pros are that they are pretty solid once up and do provide good throughput.

Message 53 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

Well, I have my router about 4 days. My internet usually last 10 hours before it goes out. Not 30 minutes to an hour like you guys. And when my internet goes out, my VoIP still works. Just no internet but my Ooma that connected to Netgear still work while my internet are dead. And of course I can't access my router's GUI then.

Scene I discover my internet went out at 6:30a this morning, it is 1:22p now. That already 7 hours, this is random.

Message 54 of 133
rickgode
Aspirant

That's weird that your internet light goes out after 10 hours.  If mine is up for more than 30-45 minutes, it's up until a power outage.

I too have a VoIP phone through charter.  Two times last week my internet service went out (I can tell because my phone won’t even work) After 10 minutes my internet service came back and everything was back to normal.

My issue (along with others) is that after a power outage. (I'm actually afraid to reboot) Everything else comes up, except the FVS318Gv2.  The internet light will be on and everything will be working for about 5-10 minutes, then the internet light will go out and the only way to access the GUI is after a hard reboot (unplug the router from the wall)

My router is in the house so it's not as big a deal for me to be physically work on it, but others that have this router away from themselves, this becomes a HUGE issue.

I'm sure we will have a brown out or something with the power in the coming months, I'll report my findings of what happens then.  Because when mine is up, it works FANTASTIC and the throughput is the entire reason I got this router in the first place.

I still have my FVS336G "in the rack" so that if my FVS318Gv2 doesn't come back up the first time, I can just plug in the FVS336G quickly and everyone at the house will be happy.  Too bad its WAN throughput is only 30MBps...

Ricky 

Message 55 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

Well, it is 23:46, I am at work now... And it is still up and running... I don't know what to say.

Message 56 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

@rickgode wrote:

My issue (along with others) is that after a power outage. (I'm actually afraid to reboot) Everything else comes up, except the FVS318Gv2.  The internet light will be on and everything will be working for about 5-10 minutes, then the internet light will go out...

This sounds exactly like what the 318N does.  But what you have to do is wait some more after it stops working and let it completely boot up.  I think also that if you try to access too much during its first 'working' phase it may actually mess it up and keep it from booting up completely.  At least that's what I've kinda learned about my 318Ns.  When they boot up, I don't touch them for at least 30 minutes.  After that, they're solid for months.

Message 57 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

I look at Amazon reviews.  There are 59 good reviews and 45 bad.  I say almost 50/50.  I don't know how people can gave good review on this thing.  I guess they never unplug there unit out of the wall before!

Message 58 of 133
shiekh
Guide

This firmware is also used on units other than the FVS318 series, and there it would seem without such aggravation.

I, for one, can't afford to baby my unit up each time it goes down; I need things to be robust and reliable in the face of a power glitch.

Message 59 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

And this is exactly why the smb market isn't for 'rock solid reliability'--that's enterprise stuff.

In the smb market, you simply move to another product with a different set of trade-offs that fit you needs better.  Why do this?  Simple--cost.  You could spend 4x the amount on an enterprise unit or go through a couple of different cheaper smb models before you find the one that works.

If I had a lot of DHCP clients jumping on and off the network, the FVS318N would never have worked for my application.  But that wasn't a requirement compared to reliability once it booted, which the FVS318N outshined the rv016 which needed a reboot every 24hrs to be stable.

Message 60 of 133
shiekh
Guide

My computers, Wi-Fi, etc are all rock solid, and most were fished out of the trash.

Message 61 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

It's almost completely irrelevant where something came from.  If it was built well (enterprise quality), it will still work fine.  And for some reasons, while computers and APs seem to not have problems being rock solid, routers regularly do.

Message 62 of 133
shiekh
Guide

True, but even the most basic equipment, no matter how cheap, should be able to boot up and work for longer than 10 mins.

Message 63 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

I think they actually do, just as my 318n does.  It's just that most people won't wait the 30m+ it takes for these to boot up solid.

Message 64 of 133
shiekh
Guide

I find that if all is left plugged in, then it doesn't come up even given time; so it is quite a balancing act to get it running.

People that work over the internet can't afford such disruption.

Message 65 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

My router ran good for about 3 days... It dead again this morning!  This is bull**bleep**!  I have it set to reboot on 5:00AM this morning.  Preheaps I should take it off!  Once the router run good... I shouldn't try to reboot it.  I just unplug my router, plug it back in and then did a GUI reboot.  This time I took off the self rebooting feature and see how long this last!

Freaking amazing!  The router came out over a year... we still a beta tester!

Message 66 of 133
shiekh
Guide

scat? was that the word you were looking for 😉

Message 67 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Actually the FVS-318N (same board and firmware) came out around 2012, and the FVS-318Gv2 around 2015; so one might argue they have had almost 5 years to iron out the bugs.

Message 68 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

But during the lifetime of the 318N, they have done some hardware changes because the wan-lan spec has changed dramatically.  It seems on older units like mine it will top out at only 60Mbps.

Message 69 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Didn't know that, as there was no revison 2; although I might well be wrong even on that.

The FVS-318N and FVS-318Gv2 boards look the same, although maybe I didn't look closely enough.

Same board, although the N vesion has more components (for the Wi-Fi).

Message 70 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

That would make sense that they look almost identical.  I've not seen any of the boards, so maybe there was just a bunch of firmware change that increased the speed.  But I do have 3 different Netgear spec sheets showing 3 vastly different wan-lan throughputs.  The model number also changed with the addition of a -100NAS designation (I believe that was it--I didn't check the spec sheet).

Message 71 of 133
shiekh
Guide

From the release notes:

FVS318Gv2 Firmware Version 4.3.3-3

FVS318Gv2 Firmware Version 4.3.3-6

FVS318Gv2 Firmware Version 4.3.3-8

Note: Support 25 VoIP phone calls. Next release we will support 50 VoIP phone calls.

FVS318Gv2 Firmware Version 4.3.4-1

Note: Supports 50 VoIP phone calls.

FVS318N Firmware Version 4.3.2-7

FVS318N Firmware Version 4.3.3-3

FVS318N Firmware Version 4.3.3-5

FVS318N Firmware Version 4.3.3-6

FVS318N Firmware Version 4.3.3-8

FVS318N Firmware Version 4.3.4-1

Note: it supports up to 50 VoIP calls

so I guess they may have got the bandwidth up through firmware, and earlier for the FVS318N

Interestingly

FVS336Gv2 Firmware Version 4.3.2-7

Note:  support 5 VoIP phone calls. Next release we will support 50 VoIP phone calls

FVS336Gv2 Firmware Version 4.3.3-3

FVS336Gv2 Firmware Version 4.3.3-5

Note: Support 25 VoIP phone calls. Next release we will support 50 VoIP phone calls.

FVS336Gv2 Firmware Version 4.3.3-6

Note: Support 20 VoIP phone calls. Next release we will support 50 VoIP phone calls.

Message 72 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Interestingly I have an

FVS-336Gv2

and it works fine and seems to use the same firmware versions as the

FVS-318N

FVS-318Gv2

so one wonders what is going on.

Message 73 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

But the firmwares haven't gone through any crazy revisions.  I'm basically using them straight out of the box and one is on 4.3.0-19 and the other is on 4.0.1-67 and both are pretty solid once they boot.  

System up Time: 71 days, 5 hours, 15 minutes, 52 seconds

System up Time: 46 days, 22 hours, 43 minutes, 36 seconds

And I've got site to sites vpns set up between them and a watchguard router that are always transferring traffic.

Message 74 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Yes but the FVS-336Gv2 does not seem to have any booting issues.

Message 75 of 133
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 132 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements