Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fvs318gv2 connectivity issues

train_wreck
Luminary

Re: Fvs318gv2 connectivity issues

@SamirD wrote:

And this is exactly why the smb market isn't for 'rock solid reliability'--that's enterprise stuff.

In the smb market, you simply move to another product with a different set of trade-offs that fit you needs better.  Why do this?  Simple--cost.  You could spend 4x the amount on an enterprise unit or go through a couple of different cheaper smb models before you find the one that works.

If I had a lot of DHCP clients jumping on and off the network, the FVS318N would never have worked for my application.  But that wasn't a requirement compared to reliability once it booted, which the FVS318N outshined the rv016 which needed a reboot every 24hrs to be stable.

I don't know, I've always had great experiences with Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter line, particularly their newer EdgeRouter X (that one's just ~$55 !!). And Mikrotik's RB2011 devices. And ZyXel's USG-20/USG-50. And TP-Link's R600VPN. And Linksys's LRT line.

Actually, I've had good experiences with lots of different manufacturers. Can't say the same for Netgear 😉

Message 76 of 133
rickgode
Aspirant

@shiekh wrote:

Yes but the FVS-336Gv2 does not seem to have any booting issues.

Yup! That's why mine is still hooked up and ready to go whenever my FVS318Gv2 won’t boot up after a power outage.  But... my FVS318Gv2 has been going fine since August 18th.

I don't know if it was the firmware update, GUI reboot, Turning off DNS Proxy, Change WAN upload/download, or Spoof MAC address. that did it though...

On my FVS336G everything is "default" and after a power outage it comes back, whereas the FVS318Gv2 will be on, but the internet light will be out,

That's the problem, then I would get into the endless cycle of hard reboots by unplugging/plugging back in the power only to have it "work" for 5-10 minutes before the internet light goes out.  Then I'll try unplugging/plugging it back in with nothing plugged into it.  I did this for over an hour and a half while on the phone with netgear.  Then I plugged in my desktop and after 10 minutes the internet light went out again.  Then the netgear people tried something weird where I plugged in the one of the LAN ports to the WAN port and then waited another 30 minutes and the light never went out.  After this, they concluded that it wasn't Netgear's problem, it was the fault of my ISP.

I had been on the phone well over an hour and a half by this point, so I plugged in my trusty FVS336Gv2, did nothing special and after it booted and the internet light came on it worked fine until Aug 18th where I did the steps above to get my FVS318Gv2 going.

Ricky

Message 77 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Did you dare try to see if it can survive a power cut?

Message 78 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

If it does have a power cut the. Just go inside the GUI and do a reboot. I used to schedule a reboot inside the GUI to do a reboot every 5 AM. I still having issues every 2 days. Then I just decided to turn that auto schedule reboot off. And just do a GUI reboot once and don't touch it. It's 4 days now and it is still going. I have a UPS hooked up to power the router. Technically I won't get any power bump unless I unplug it myself.

Message 79 of 133
shiekh
Guide

When on the Navajo Nation I even had the electric blankets on sine-wave UPSs, so frequent were the power problems; but batteries are not exactly cheap and now I try to do without.

Message 80 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

@train_wreck wrote:

@SamirD wrote:

And this is exactly why the smb market isn't for 'rock solid reliability'--that's enterprise stuff.

In the smb market, you simply move to another product with a different set of trade-offs that fit you needs better.  Why do this?  Simple--cost.  You could spend 4x the amount on an enterprise unit or go through a couple of different cheaper smb models before you find the one that works.

If I had a lot of DHCP clients jumping on and off the network, the FVS318N would never have worked for my application.  But that wasn't a requirement compared to reliability once it booted, which the FVS318N outshined the rv016 which needed a reboot every 24hrs to be stable.

I don't know, I've always had great experiences with Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter line, particularly their newer EdgeRouter X (that one's just ~$55 !!). And Mikrotik's RB2011 devices. And ZyXel's USG-20/USG-50. And TP-Link's R600VPN. And Linksys's LRT line.

Actually, I've had good experiences with lots of different manufacturers. Can't say the same for Netgear 😉

Oh, I agree.  The lack of reliability in the smb market has brought some of the enterprise players in with some fantasic products.  I seriously considered the usg-50 before we got our watchguard.

Message 81 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

@shiekh wrote:

When on the Navajo Nation I even had the electric blankets on sine-wave UPSs, so frequent were the power problems; but batteries are not exactly cheap and now I try to do without.

That's crazy!  That's 3rd world stuff right in the middle of a first world nation!  I'm shocked!

Message 82 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Actually it was delightful to go out back with a chain saw for Winter wood, and I built a 30' repeater tower and so had Wi-Fi at home. A few power cuts was a small price to be part of the past with few of the inconvieniences. It's not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

Message 83 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

@shiekh wrote:

Actually it was delightful to go out back with a chain saw for Winter wood, and I built a 30' repeater tower and so had Wi-Fi at home. A few power cuts was a small price to be part of the past with few of the inconvieniences. It's not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

I can understand that, but the power cuts still shouldn't be happening.  It should be a choice if someone doesn't want power when they're paying for it.

That tower sounds pretty cool.  Was it just an antenna or did you put an AP up there?

Message 84 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Two APs, back to back using different channels so there was no loss in bandwidth.

The Navajo Nation is very big, with few people on it, so the supply is vulnerable.

Message 85 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

Pretty cool.  The power supply makes sense.  I guess it pays to have a UPS and/or portable generator then?

Message 86 of 133
shiekh
Guide

The buildings were heated by propane and I managed to convince IT to get a large generator that ran on propane, even if I was told by an 'expert' with 'extensive experience' that such engines did not exist... at 7000ft it was down-rated. The 'expert' wanted a diesel, even if at that altitude diesel can wax in the Winter.

The heated blankets would not tolerate square wave UPSs, and hence the sine-wave units; in reality I was adopting and repairing the units IT discarded and using the old batteries they were replacing, so it was not as expensive as might at first seem. Even started a project to figure out how to rejuvenate lead-acid batteries.

But this is getting a little off topic (my fault entirely)

Message 87 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

I'll take some blame for the off-topic too. 😄

That's some super cool stuff.  I didn't realize how brutal cold it is there as I've heard of Diesel gelling, but waxing has to be bitterly cold.

It doesn't suprise me that the blankets couldn't take the square waves--most stuff really can't for a long time because of the cheaply made power supplies these days.  It's sine-wave or no-wave for me now.  That's pretty slick to simply 'upgrade' the UPSs by using the same batteries in sine-wave units.

Message 88 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Maybe I exaggerate about the diesel (at what temperature does Winter diesel gel?)... anyhow the generator runs on propane, and so no extra fuel tanks were needed.

For the electric blankets, the driving units switch on only for the low voltage part of the mains sine wave and turn off it any higher voltage is detected (for safety). The square wave has no low voltage parts, so the safety is triggered; or at least that is how I understand it.

Message 89 of 133
SamirD
Prodigy

Biodiesel gels earlier than regular diesel, so for regular diesel it's near 0F.  Propane is a very versitile fuel.  I've seen cars in India that run on it.  They even have conversion kits since propane is more readily available.

Yeah, you're beyond my knowledge on the driving units.  All I know is that most circuitry is made for a sine wave and chopping that up into a square notched wave is like putting a lot of micro surges and spikes in the power.

Message 90 of 133
Bitzerj
Guide

Getting ready to dump my FVS318Gv2...same issues...when it runs it runs fine.  Last night it just stopped working, I could ping the LAN port, but Telnet didn't work and routing stopped. (Running the latest Firmware)

I cycled the power...it came up for about 15 minutes and died...I then remembered the GUI reboot...did that and it stayed up for about 2hrs and died.

I did a few more GUI reboots (after having to cycle power) and after the 5th try, it stayed up all night.

I'm about done with this router...I need something that works and keeps on working. 

Message 91 of 133
shiekh
Guide

Like you and many others I have found that once up and running it can go on indefinitely (till the next power glitch).

We now have little choice but to remain hopeful about the next firmware.

How to get Netgear to take this seriously?

Message 92 of 133
Bitzerj
Guide

The problem is that mine is on a UPS...no power glitch.  It just locked up for no reason.  Did this twice in the past two weeks (after running for at least 30 days without a hickup).  I'm tired of chasing these issues, when it happens during the day work suffers...at night the family is yelling.  I need something that is stable and secure.

Message 93 of 133
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Everyone, 

We apologize for this inconvenience. As of now, there are a small number of customers that have contacted the technical support regarding similar issues and are working with our support team and engineering teams to diagnose and resolve the issue. Hopefully, this issue will be fixed as soon as possible. 

Thanks,

Message 94 of 133
shiekh
Guide

I suspect that people here might be more than happy to try any beta version that might be available.

Message 95 of 133
Bitzerj
Guide

I had another round of lockups...same symptoms as before.   One additional piece of information, DNS was acting up.  I have a Pi-hole DNS Server/ad-blocker setup and it handles all DNS calls.  It is configured to use 3 External DNS servers.  

DNS Proxy on the router is turned off (turning it on made no difference).

The issue was that DNS would not resolve (Spotty response)...however, if DNS Proxy was on and I used the router as the DNS server (Nslookup), it would work fine (NsLookup, not the clients). 

The previous fix for this was to change the setting for TCP or UDP attack (the first one on the page)...I bumped it to a very high number and it fixed it before...this time it didn't make a difference.

The "fix" was turning off the "Attack" setting...that worked for a while and the router locked...

I pulled the router out of service and replaced it with a different brand...It has been rock solid, no glitches, everything has worked perfectly over the weekend and into today. 

I hope engineering can fix the issue, however the rebooting issue and locking has impacted me since the router was new (FYI - the HW has been replaced by NetGear, and the symptoms happened on both devices)

Message 96 of 133
shiekh
Guide

4.3.4-2 is now out for both the FVS-318Gv2 and FVS-318N and I have upgraded both my units to this, but have not time for now to test them. Perhaps someone else can tell if this has fixed the issues

From the release notes:

"Fixed DoS CVE: Zero-Day # Category: PoC & Denial of Service Exploits."

Message 97 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

Thanks for the head up.  I just updated mine.  My Router stay up 100% after my last GUI reboot and took off that auto reboot function for like 3 weeks!

I don't know what that  "Fixed DoS CVE: Zero-Day # Category: PoC & Denial of Service Exploits."  meant! 

Message 98 of 133
shiekh
Guide

And is it now staying up all by itself? without any reboot tricks?

Message 99 of 133
cclo
Aspirant

I don't know yet, I just updated like 2 minutes ago.  The router reboot itself after update.  I afraid to pull it out of the wall...  I need to goto work soon.  But from the release note, I didn't see they fixed anything about this reboot problem. That Zero Day thing is just a form of attack they used by hacker.  They just fixed a bug that hacker used to made the device unuseable.

DDos attack fix.  Nothing in the release say anything.  I don't think this release fix the connectivity issues.

Message 100 of 133
Discussion stats
  • 132 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements