Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SRX5308 - Firmware v 3.0.8-12 & v4.3.3-8

STUP
Aspirant

SRX5308 - Firmware v 3.0.8-12 & v4.3.3-8

This post is regarding an issue I'm currently seeing in v3.0.8-12 but in trying to resolve have another issue in v4.3.3-8

Reason for upgrading firmware - 

I have both a production SRX5308 and a backup unit which I keep updated with the latest config, rather than run in a load balanced config at the moment. The production unit is still running Firmware v 3.0.8-12 however we've been seeing a strange issue with DHCP on a guest wi-fi network I have connected to LAN port 2 on the router.

The SRX5308 DHCP allocates IP's to connected devices but after 2-3 weeks the router stops allocating IP's and I also cannot log in to the main admin UI.  The only way around this is to reboot the router which cycles the DHCP allocation and then I can also log back in to the admin UI.  Obviously being a production router in a business this means a manual power cycle before staff begin work and in between any automated system jobs which require external connectivity.

I couldn't see any known issues for this so I decided to upgrade my backup router to the latest firmware, obviously having to manually re-configure everything on the router afterwards. I've completed and tried switching out the production router for the upgraded device, the router comes up and also picks up our leased line connection however there's no external connectivity.

Again the router states the connection is up on the admin UI but I can't ping externally and the 'test' button on WAN setup fails to resolve the netgear.com site.

I'm running the router in IPv4 mode, classic routing, connections doesn't require a login, dynamic DNS disabled

Seems like finding a stable release of firmware is a trade off of which bugs you're able to put up with.

Thanks

Stuart

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi STUP,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below:

a.  Does the same DHCP problem on the guest WiFI occur after you have updated the firmware of your backup SRX5308 to v4.3.3-8?

b. Did you perform a factory reset on the backup SRX5308 after upgrading the firmware?

Try these steps below to gain internet access through the backup SRX5308: 

1. Power off both modem and the backup SRX5308.

2. Power on modem and wait for it to initialize.

3. After the modem has initialize, turn on the backup SRX5308.

4. Observe if you are able to go online through the backup SRX5308.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi STUP,

I've read your message.  About the DHCP concern, kindly try to test the backup SRX5308 running on firmware v4.3.3-8 then let us know the results.  

It is possible that the production SRX5308 (could be the MAC Address) is easily recognized when you have re-connected it that is why the internet connection was up right away.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi STUP,

Were you able to test the backup SRX5308 running on firmware v4.3.3-8 regarding your DHCP concern?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
STUP
Aspirant

Hi Dane,

I haven't as yet i'm afraid, the DHCP issue i described though has literally just happened again on my live router on the older firmware.  The fact I'm also unable to login to the web GUI...either as Admin or any other user until I hard reset the unit is also odd behaviour.

I'll be in early tomorrow so I'll test out switching out our router for the upgraded backup unit and rebooting our leased line router before powering up the upgraded SRX5308.  If that fixes the DNS issue on that firmware then I'll keep it running and wait to see if DHCP issue occurs.

Thanks

Stuart

Message 5 of 8
STUP
Aspirant

Hi Dane,

I switched out the router this morning for the upgraded backup unit, inbetween I rebooted our Juniper router as advised.

The outcome was a step closer in that I could ping external DNS servers but still no DNS resolution? I left it for around 10 minutes but still no change.  Obviously I had to switch them back over again and conenctivity came back up within about 2 minutes.

I've been all over the config of the upgraded unit and cannot see anything which would be causing me a problem, however upon switching it out I can't even hit the admin login page, I can ping the internal IP (haven't tried PuTTy or anything as yet) and I can ping external DNS but this Firmware just isn't working for me so far

I need to get over this hurdle before I can test the DHCP issue

Thanks

Stuart

Message 6 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi STUP,

Just to confirm, the DHCP problem only happens on the guest WiFi not on the LAN, am I right?  

Also you mentioned that there is a Juniper router.  How is everything connected?  It would be best that you post an image or screenshot of your detailed network setup.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi STUP, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements