Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SRX5308 Traffic meter - what the heck?

externaluse
Aspirant

SRX5308 Traffic meter - what the heck?

Pictures speak a thousand words.

This was open in a tab on an SRX5308 running FW 4.3.4-2, the Tab was refreshed periodically for a while. The traffic made sense, and kept growing over time within expected amounts.

Traffic meter 1

At one point coming back from being logged out due to inactivity (but not for the first time), this is the same screen (yes, on the same router) after logging back in:

Traffic meter 2

OK... We transfer way more data then that per day. The reset time hasn't changed, it has not been reset or otherwise fiddled with! So if in doubt, reboot. Guess what the screen looks like now:

Traffic meter 3

Anyone noticing how I managed to time it so accurately that I got 2048/4096/512? Those numbers ring any bells?

Something is completely broken in this. All I want to know is how much traffic I send, and which machine(s) generate the most.

If anyone could help with a clever idea that'd be great! Thank you!

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 3
train_wreck
Luminary

Yes, I see the same thing on an FVS336Gv3. If I had to guess, the Netgear is incapable of showing data amounts past a certain number, and either resets & begins counting again or just shows those powers-of-2 (which I have also seen). My theory would be that the firmware is using a 32-bit integer variable to store the data amounts, and is overflowing when the value is maxed out, but of couse I don't have firmware source access and so can't be certain.

Seeing as there hasn't been a substantial feature update to any of the current FVS line in a number of years..... I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix.

Message 2 of 3
SamirD
Prodigy

And consider trying an older version of the firmware as this might have been broken in newer firmware releases.  If this is a critical feature for your usage, I would run the older firmware.  The firmware versions are more like 'feature sets' than sequential anyways.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements