Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN Firewall Comparison

Dion07
Aspirant

VPN Firewall Comparison

I currently have the SRXN3205 VPN Firewall installed at my home so that I may have a VPN site to site connection from my house to my office and other work sites. After installing it I found out quite quickly that the WAN to LAN throughput was limited to 60 Mbps, while my ISP is providing 200 Mbps.

I have been looking for alternatives to replace the SRXN3205 that will give me the same VPN capabilities as my current Netgear, but can give me the higher WAN to LAN throughput speeds so I can utilize my full internet speeds that are being provided by my ISP. 

So far, I have been looking and found the FVS318G which appears to be able to do the same VPN capabilities as the SRXN3205, but does have the faster WAN to LAN throughput speed. The FVS318G does not have Wi-Fi, but I do not need it as I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 in place to provide my Wi-Fi. 

Question(s):
Would the FVS318G be a comparable replacement for the SRXN3205 that I am currently using?
Are there any drawbacks to the FVS318G that I may run into/need to know about?
Is there a better alternative than the FVS318G?

Thanks in advance,
Derek

Model: FVS318G|ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall,FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall,SRXN3205|ProSafe Wireless-N VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dion07,

You will not lose anything that you currently need with the FVS318Gv2. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dion07,

I believe you are referring to the FVS318Gv2.  Its product code in North America is FVS318G-200NAS.  

About IPSec VPN, here are the differences: 

a. The FVS318Gv2 has a VPN throughput of 30Mbps while the SRXN3205 has a VPN throughput of 20Mbps.  

b. The FVS318Gv2 supports 12 dedicated VPN tunnels  while the SRXN3205 supports 5 dedicated VPN tunnels.

If you are looking for other ProSAFE VPN Firewall as alternative to the FVS318Gv2, you may check on the FVS336Gv3, FVS318N and SRX5308.  See their specifications and comparison here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
Dion07
Aspirant

@DaneA Yes, I am currently looking at the  FVS318G-200NAS. 

I currently have the SRXN3205 and wanted to verify that the FVS318G-200NAS (or FVS318Gv2) would be a viable replacement as I am not 100% sure and would like a second opinion. 🙂 

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dion07,

Let me also inform you that if you purchased the FVS318Gv2, it is bundled with a VPN Lite Client software that has 1 Lite license key included for free.  You can use this in setting up a client-to-box VPN. For more information, kindly read this article.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community TEam

Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dion07,

I just want to follow-up.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed / resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
Dion07
Aspirant

@DaneA 

What I was wanting to verify was that the new Netgear would be able to do the same things that my current one does.
IE: I would not lose anything that I am currently needing in order to use the VPN site to site connection.

Message 6 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dion07,

You will not lose anything that you currently need with the FVS318Gv2. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 8
Dion07
Aspirant

Perfect! Thank you!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies