× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sync switch with time server and 10GB camera

eliso02
Aspirant

Sync switch with time server and 10GB camera

Hi
I have  a Time server NTP-PICO3 connected to GPS antenna in lab.

I need to Connect to PTP client (e.g., RGB camera) and capture images before (‘floating’ Time Stamp) and after PTP sync (Global TS). 

From this camera (10GE RGB camera (FLIR) )  i need to the data to be synced to the camera (same GPS time ) and the output from the camera will go to several outputs from the switch. 
So the switch and camera need to be synced to the time server and from the camera the data can be out to several LANs. 

My switch is Netgear 4300-X16 10GE.

If someone knows how to config the devices (switch specifically) that would be helpful.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: Sync switch with time server and 10GB camera

Most M4300 versions are supporting a PTP end-to-end transparent clock, which is enabled by default, both globally and at the port level

# show ptp clock e2e-transparent

It's also covered in the Web UI System > Management > PTP TC for the Global and per-interface settings.

@LaurentMa are there any recent news on thie subject?

Message 2 of 6
eliso02
Aspirant

My model is XSM4316PS

How do i see the time?

maybe i didn't configure it correctrly?

It's important to me that it takes the time out of the GPS, RTC time (UTC) 
From the TNS PICO 3 device.

(https://teleorigin.com/images/download/NTS-pico3-manual.pdf)
I don't see any time on the netgear.

did i do something wrong? Maybe also on the NTS i need to configure something?

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Appears there is some misunderstanding here: These switches do neither _not_ participate nor use PTP. Everything mentioned before is related to transparently forwarding PTP, allowing a PTP end-to-end transparent clock connection, e.g. between your camera and the time server. But of course, you could use the same time source for the switch itself by using NTP.

Message 4 of 6
eliso02
Aspirant

thanks.

One more question as part of this thread. 

I have a camera that will be connected to the switch. the camera sends data in 10G. 

And i need several devices to get the data simulatinously. is there a way to clone/ duplicate the data arriving to one port so it will be present in other ports simulanously as well?

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@eliso02 wrote:

I have a camera that will be connected to the switch. the camera sends data in 10G. 

And i need several devices to get the data simulatinously. is there a way to clone/ duplicate the data arriving to one port so it will be present in other ports simulanously as well?

This depends on how the camera is "sending" the data.

Typical approach would be that IGMP Multicast receivers (recording, data acquisition, ...) systems registering to the Multicast stream. Impossible to answer without any insight on the FLIR capabilities, the related data acquisition ...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements