Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Invited user does not have permission to access pro account

schumaku
Guru

Invited user does not have permission to access pro account

Ok, we have registered the license using the process suggested. created a Managed Service Provider owner account (using a generic, non-personal business email of course), and are logged in now as this (in my understanding Business Owner) role. Why ever, the "Sehr Ge..." (why ever a German translated "Hi, ..." obsolete in the English UI already) must be there in place is beyond me (just like the ongoing OVERSIZED UI design (shrink this UI by at least  at least 40 or 50% please!) - it can't be that such a simple form does take more than a standard, 100% sized, FullHD notebook screen, require scrolling!

insight Pro - Business Owner says its Administrator.PNG

Somehow I don't understand the idea of a "Business Owner" (or Managed Service Provider Owner in my context) as shown in the https://kb.netgear.com/000059502/YLuFI309RSVLXBclQIsUWeY2YBXkAOXy table.

What hurts me much more is that an (admitted existing MyNetgear account, used for product registrations - but neither used for Community nor for Insight) can not be added as a manager:

(i) Invited user does not have permission to access pro account

Of course Netgear he has no permission - thats why we want to add it!

A MyNETGEAR account is just an identity and must have no "logical" preset or meaning when it comes to Insight or Insight Pro. Of course I want to grant the permission to become e.g. a Manager in an Insight Pro Service Provider.

Sorry - there is a massive design problem here: Insight Pro must accept ANY existing MyNETGEAR account, regardless if used for product registration, warranty and support, regardless if used for the simple Insight, regardless if used for the Community access, regardless if used for say ReadyCloud!

We can't change standard business email addresses - being for Insight Pro Admin (or is it Administrators?), being for Managers, being for whatever other role - just because the Insight Pro design is basically borked! Whoever has done this does not understand the basics of Identity Management. FIX THIS!

Also interesting (and bare form any logic) is the fact that the UI does ask for a Name - not for Firstname and Lastname - as used anywhere else for MyNetgear. 

insight Pro - Invited User no Permission Pro Acount.PNG

Message 1 of 7
AjitKumar
Tutor

Agreed @schumaku I too find lots of complexity / vagueness. We can have a simple hierarchy administrators and managers.

Also why not allow existing Netgear account to become managers?

I am struggling to create additional admin account.

It is really getting hard to position the solution in a competition to Meraki and Ubiquity.

Netgear devices are such a solid hardware however the features are too low in comparison. I am struggling hard to sell.

I shall request the netgear team to explore the competition and help us with more features/privileges as MSP / VARs.

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@AjitKumar wrote:

Agreed @schumaku I too find lots of complexity / vagueness.  

And odd error messages - Offline ... seen on on the standard Insight before, too.

@AjitKumar wrote:

We can have a simple hierarchy administrators and managers. 

In the VAR case, multiple administrators and managers are stacked.

@AjitKumar wrote:

Also why not allow existing Netgear account to become managers? 

MyNetgear must serve as an identity only - no organisational logic is allowed be bound to one ID. If there are multiple options, one ID can be used for a simple Insight, as a Administrator for a VAR, or as a Manager for a Organisation - even in different structures. Complete object orientation. Back to redesign - these "hard coded" functional levels must be unbound from the IDs!

@AjitKumar wrote:

I am struggling to create additional admin account. 

Gimme some time for sleep, just back from a ice hockey game. Have to install some cabling tomorrow to urgent replace a Powerline set-up (killing VDSL2 links!). We're located in Switzerland GMT+0200 on DST, soon GMT+0100  - will continue digging into Insight Pro tomorrow.

Message 3 of 7
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

Can you send me a private message with the email addresses in question so that I can compare them? When inviting users to your Insight account NETGEAR account creation status should not be the deciding factor to allow the invite to complete but Insight account status for that email. You cannot invite an email that is an admin of another Insight Pro account. The admin is always the highest account of every Insight Pro hiercy and inviting them another Insight Pro account will not allow you. You would need to create a second email if you wish to add that specific user.

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@MrJoshW wrote:

When inviting users to your Insight account NETGEAR account creation status should not be the deciding factor to allow the invite to complete but Insight account status for that email. 

There are several mistakes in the process and the Insight Pro design here. Any existing (or a new) MyNetgear account must be available to become an adminitrator or a manager. These functions must not be bound and limited to a single and new to create account 

@MrJoshW wrote:

You cannot invite an email that is an admin of another Insight Pro account. The admin is always the highest account of every Insight Pro hiercy and inviting them another Insight Pro account will not allow you.

Every reliable commercial business organisation mit have more than one person assigned to a defined function, beeing for concurrent operations, beeing for stake holder and deputy model.

@MrJoshW wrote:

You would need to create a second email if you wish to add that specific user.

Please explain.

Message 5 of 7
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

An example would be you have two emails currently with pro accounts:

testemail@gmail.com

testemail2@gmail.com

Both of these are admins of their individual Insight Pro accounts and both cannot be admins on the same account as they are both admins. If testemail2@gmail.com want's access to testemail@gmail.com you will need to create a new account and give them access, in this case testemail3@gmail.com. Testemail3@gmail.com would not have any Pro account bound to it, so you would be able to add it to the testemail@gmail.com account and from there you can give it manager access and give it the approiate policies.

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

MyNetgear accounts are just generic identities. Any hard binding (or exclusivity) required is not acceptable. That's the much bigger design error.

I'm not interested to hear that an account is bound to a ROLE in Insight Pro. Rejected. Fail. BUG.

We need ways to have more than one Administrator. Just like the multiple Managers. And each of these MyNetgear Accounts must be workable as an already existing MyNetgear account already in use for Insight or whatever, in one Insight Pro environment one MyNetgear account must be able to be defined as Administrator, and in another environment it must be useable as a Manager for all or defined site(s).

And I _do_ understand the difference between email addresses. Fact is that one PERSON must have ONE IDENTITY. And this identity must be able to serve for many different jobs, roles, assignments, privileges. That makes the very basic of what is called Identity Management. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements