× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

10G Managed Switch with gPTP 802.1AS Support

yossi2000
Aspirant

10G Managed Switch with gPTP 802.1AS Support

Hi, we are looking for managed ethernet switch with the following parameters:

• At least 4x 10G ports (can be RJ45 or SFP+)
  • 802.1AS gPTP (P2P) profile- with focus on not performing BMCA (lack of announce messages)

(https://avnu.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Auto-Ethernet-AVB-Func-Interop-Spec_v1.6.pdf)

Could you please suggest us a possible solution?

Thanks,

Yossi

Message 1 of 6
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: 10G Managed Switch with gPTP 802.1AS Support

Hello,

Any M4250 or M4350 switch will do that for you:

www.netgear.com/m4250
www.netgear.com/m4350

Please look at M4250-26G4XF-PoE+ (GSM4230PX) or M4350-24G4XF (GSM4238)
Message 2 of 6
yossi2000
Aspirant

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback!

looking on the datasheets on website, I have seen that it support 802.1AS, but it does not give more details on the profile, could you please approve that it is not performing BMCA (lack of announce messages) ?

can you refer us to the user manual/any resource that related to the supported gPTP profile and possible configuration?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

The documentation for M4250 is for instance here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4250/#docs

The user manual (IT configuration of 802.1AS) is there https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/M4250/M4250_UM_EN.pdf 

Although it's way simpler to enable AVB on the Default VLAN 1 profile in the AV User Interface (one click).

Sorry it I misread your message previously, I don't think we comply with your requirements (lack of announce message, no BMCA). Like PTP, gPTP 802.1AS needs BMCA to learn who is the GM (or being elected itself) - I think we follow the standard with a BMCA for 802.1AS.

Message 4 of 6
yossi2000
Aspirant

Hi

thank you for your answer.

in the evolving gPTP world, we have noticed that vendors are requiring the other side to avoid announce, I am wondering how can we work together to implement it as a settable feature in the switch configuration.  

Could you direct me who is the relevant contact person to discuss this?

Message 5 of 6
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @yossi2000 ,

We are planning now for our May release (under SQA right now) and the good news for AVB is that our AV Line switches (M4250, M4350) will be Grand Master capable for 802.1AS with configurable Local Clock Priority 1 &2.

Please send us an email at ProAVDesign@netgear.com and one of us will schedule a call with you. I am the product line manager so, discussing current implementation, finding workarounds, and eventually discussing possible future enhancements, I am the right contact for you. I am leading the ProAV Design team worldwide, please write us an email and mark my name in it. Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements