× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't print after installing ProSafe 16-Port Switch

sohanshop
Aspirant

Can't print after installing ProSafe 16-Port Switch

I installed a new switch yesterday. All my peripherals work fine except the Fiery RIP. I can't ping it or print to it. I have Command Central and that won't link either. As far as I know, the switch didn't come with any instructions to install software. What should I do before reinstalling the old switch? Thanks.

Message 1 of 14
sohanshop
Aspirant

Re: Can't print after installing ProSafe 16-Port Switch

I called Ricoh and they said I broke the connection to the switch. Is there a way to reestablish the connection or is this something Ricoh has to come in and administer the changes?

Message 2 of 14
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello sohanshop, 

Welcome to the community! 

First, we'd like to know what is the model number of the switch that you are using. Are the printers and other devices getting the correct IP? If you have a network diagram it will help us identify the issue. 

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 3 of 14
sohanshop
Aspirant

I'll have to draw up something later today but it goes like this: We have two workstations. Both connected by ethernet cable to switch. The Fiery RIP goes to the Switch. I have to double check but I believe another cable goes directly from the Ricoh press to the switch. Scanner goes to the switch. One ethernet cable from switch to cable modem. Last cable in switch is for people who come in and need to hard wire a laptop. Since we also have wireless wifi we very rarely use the cable and will probably remove.

Message 4 of 14
fordem
Mentor

What was the make & model of the old switch you removed?

Message 5 of 14
sohanshop
Aspirant

It was a Linksys Broadband Router Model RTP300

Message 6 of 14
fordem
Mentor

That is most likely your problem - you're replacing a ROUTER with a SWITCH - the router has a switch built into it, so it can perform switching functions, but the Netgear switch, does not provide the routing functionality.

Message 7 of 14
sohanshop
Aspirant

I wish I was more technical. Our network has been very slow and I went online to see how to make network a little quicker and many of the articles recommended a faster switch. I ran out of ports and was piggy backing a smaller Trendset TE100-ST Fast Ethernet Switch to the Lynksys router. I wanted to replace the two boxes with one box. Should I just buy a new router or just go back to what I had? Something like this: ETGEAR’s FS116 10/100 16 port dual speed switch with uplink button provides your LAN with high-speed, 10/100 Mbps auto-sensing connectivity for as many as 16 users.

Appreciate the feeback.

Message 8 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sohanshop,

Instead of the FS116 which is just capable of 10/100Mbps ethernet connection, I recommend you the GS116v2 which is capable of 10/100/1000Mbps of ethernet connection.  Check the GS116v2 data sheet here.

In addition to fordem's response unto you, let me share this image below which is the recommended network setup as your guide:

As per the image above, the router should be directly connected to the modem.  Then, the switch is directly connected to the router.  The router provides private IP addresses to each networking devices (such as PCs, laptops, printers) connected within the network.  The switch extends the local network if additional ethernet ports are needed.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 14
fordem
Mentor

If what you had was working for you, and the ONLY reason for a change was to reduce the number of boxes, I would go back to the original configuration.  You need to have a router (or a device that has routing capabilities to connect to the internet, and you need a switch because of the limited number of network ports on the router, so any way you twist & turn it, you're going to need the two boxes.

What you described was a very small network - it seems to be some sort of print business, it might benefit from a faster (gigabit) connection, but, the equipment would need to have gigabit network cards to take advantage of a gigabit switch, so there's a little more analyses that would need to be done before making suggestions.

Bottom line - if it was working well, and the only reason for a change was the box count, then go back to what you had.

Message 10 of 14
sohanshop
Aspirant

My original purpose for the upgrade was that the entire network was poky. I reformatted my HD and it seems faster (formatted Saturday, reinstalled apps/files Sunday) so far. Another problem was that after updating to El Capitan, it takes me a good 30-40 seconds for print window to come up when I try to print from any application. Our older iMac running Mavericks doesn't have this problem. Overall, my goal was to speed up performance network-wide overall and, hopefully, improve the speed of printing from any app on my mac. I wish I could figure out why the print dialogue is so slow. I have three windows I have to go through so 30-40 seconds a window x dozens of jobs sent to the printer a day and you lose some valuable time day in and day out.

Message 11 of 14
sohanshop
Aspirant

Went back to original config and we're up and printing. Bummer is I purchased this back in August even though I didn't crack open the box until Sunday.

Message 12 of 14
fordem
Mentor

I don't know that much about Macs, but, if you're having a problem on one system, but not on the other, then network performance is unlikely to be a factor.

I have seen situations in which large files have to be transferred across the network, and in situations such as these, upgrading to a gigabit network can make a difference, but, as I mentioned previously, the computers will also have to be gigabit capable, and it's been my experience, that with regular office type applications in a small network, there is little to be gained from the upgrade - yes, documents load 1~2 seconds faster, but that does not translate into increased productivity.

Message 13 of 14
Jedi_Exile
NETGEAR Expert

Since it is switch and the other older item you had working was router,... do a simple thing.  Connect 1 port on the new switch to 1 port on the LAn of the old router.  Now hookup up PC and see if everything works the same.. if it does.. move everything on the LAN ports of the router to the switch and you are good to go.  See the diagram before.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements