× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108t appends -1 to IP address

jojoseph
Aspirant

GS108t appends -1 to IP address

Hi All

I was wondering if anybody has a solution to this problem?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/NetGear-ProSafe-Smart-Switch-FS728TPv2-se...

My issue is with a number of GS108t's rater than the FS728t mentioned in the linked post, but otherwise it's the same issue.

Many thanks

Jo

Message 1 of 8
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: GS108t appends -1 to IP address

Hi Jo,

It might be worth raising this to Netgear support?

Message 2 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi jojoseph,

Welcome to the community!

May I know if you are experiencing any irregularity on your network? 

Regards,

Message 3 of 8
jojoseph
Aspirant

No, the network is fine. It's just that monitoring the logs (external log server) is much harder/confusing than it would otherwise be.

All other devices appear properly in the logservers, so I'm confident it's not dns/logserver config etc.

Message 4 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@jojoseph,

I don't think this -1 will affect your network or will cause any irregularity. It's just that the logs of this GS108T is different from other switches on providing those information. It's nothing to worry about.

Regards,

Message 5 of 8
jojoseph
Aspirant

Indeed, it doesn't affect the functioning of the network. It does, however, affect the logging and reporting that's used by the engineers that physically maintain the network.

(I've been digging more since I posted this thread)

All other devices (from various manufacturers) return log messages with a space ending the address "10.1.0.1 - message". This then gets resolved properly via DNS and displayed appropriately in the logs. The Netgear switches have the format "10.1.0.1-message" this doesn't get extracted properly leaving a significant percentage of logs displaying "10.1.0.1-" as an addres requiring the engineers to look up the device manually.

This new observation has also prompted me to contact the log processing manufactrer to see if that can refine their address extraction.

Any suggestions greatfully recieved (well...almost any 😉 )

Thanks for your input.

Message 6 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@jojoseph,

I see. Were you able to open a chat / case online so that our support team will be able to analyze the logs that you have?

Regards,

Message 7 of 8
jojoseph
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply... No not yet, work has been very busy.

I'll be in touch next Monday or Tuesday, hopefully support will have some suggestions.

Cheers

Jo

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements