× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS324TP PoE Schedule stops working on change of month

Kelson
Aspirant

GS324TP PoE Schedule stops working on change of month

I have 2 GS324TP switches (I'm located in the Uk if that makes a difference) that have PoE timer schedules defined and are using a UK SNTP server. As per the title, the PoE timer has stopped working for two months running on both switches when the month changes. The only way to resolve it has been to delete the timer and create a new one (I hate the way Netgear implemented these times as you need two if you want to span midnight and then they cannot be contiguous) For simplicity I set my timer (because I have had a number of difficulties making these work consistently) for the PoE access points to start from 00:01 and stop at 08:30 on one switch and at 09:30 on the other (they are in different locations).

The only way to get them working each time is to delete the timer and set up a new one (same of different name, both work but only for the current month. Both timers are set for every day and no end date.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue (I'm on firmware 1.0.43). I suspect, though have not got there yet, it might also be a problem on change of year. I've raised a ticket, but just wanted to see if any other users have this issue.

Also, is there any way to consolidate two community/netgear accounts into one (I have a legacy account plus this one).

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@Kelson wrote:

I have 2 GS324TP switches (I'm located in the Uk if that makes a difference) that have PoE timer schedules defined and are using a UK SNTP server. As per the title, the PoE timer has stopped working for two months running on both switches when the month changes. The only way to resolve it has been to delete the timer and create a new one

When I get you right, the schedule does fail with the month changing from August to September, and now again from September to October?

"using a UK SNTP" is more than vague. Provide more details like name (FQDN) of this SNTP server.

Have considered to use a probably more generic SNTP instead? Keep in mind calendar and TOD are pretty much standard. This looks to me like an oddity on the implementation of the SNTP server, or a bug interpreting the SNTP date on the switch.

@Kelson wrote:

I hate the way Netgear implemented these times as you need two if you want to span midnight and then they cannot be contiguous.

Yes, more than strange on how the PoE scheduling is implemented eg. if the intended time window goes over midnight. Here you are certainly not alone.

@Kelson wrote:

Also, is there any way to consolidate two community/netgear accounts into one (I have a legacy account plus this one).

For merging accounts, please send an email request to customer.service@netgear.com - on your subject line mention "Merging Accounts". Kindly include your name, phone number and email addresses that you want to merge and indicate which one you would like to retain.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@Kelson wrote:

I have 2 GS324TP switches (I'm located in the Uk if that makes a difference) that have PoE timer schedules defined and are using a UK SNTP server. As per the title, the PoE timer has stopped working for two months running on both switches when the month changes. The only way to resolve it has been to delete the timer and create a new one

When I get you right, the schedule does fail with the month changing from August to September, and now again from September to October?

"using a UK SNTP" is more than vague. Provide more details like name (FQDN) of this SNTP server.

Have considered to use a probably more generic SNTP instead? Keep in mind calendar and TOD are pretty much standard. This looks to me like an oddity on the implementation of the SNTP server, or a bug interpreting the SNTP date on the switch.

@Kelson wrote:

I hate the way Netgear implemented these times as you need two if you want to span midnight and then they cannot be contiguous.

Yes, more than strange on how the PoE scheduling is implemented eg. if the intended time window goes over midnight. Here you are certainly not alone.

@Kelson wrote:

For merging accounts, please send an email request to customer.service@netgear.com - on your subject line mention "Merging Accounts". Kindly include your name, phone number and email addresses that you want to merge and indicate which one you would like to retain.

Message 2 of 4
Kelson
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply

@schumaku wrote

KJL: Correct, after deleting and recreating the schedule (such as 00:01 to 08:30 recurring every day, no end date) at the beginning of August, it worked correctly up to and including 31 Aug 2023 (so PoE was off as expected 00:01 to 08:30) on 31 August (just past midnight of the 30th). But just past midnight of 31 Aug (so 1 Sep 2023) the PoE did not switch off as per the schedule and only started working again after I deleted and recreated a schedule with the same details. Exactly the same for the 30 Sep to 1st Oct boundary. Switch PoE of just after midnight of 29 Sep (for small hours of 30 Sep), but then failed to switch off PoE just after midnight of 30 Sep (00:01 to 08:30 of 1 Oct 2023) and is still not following schedule - I have not altered the switch settings as support will probably want an extract - I did one from each switch when they should have been following the off schedule but were not).

@schumaku wrote

KJL: I have 3 DNS addresses defined - 0.uk.pool.ntp.org, 1.uk.pool.ntp.org, 2.uk.pool.ntp.org (I am UK located) in this order of priority (port 123, version 4). I use these SNTP servers on all other devices without issue, so not sure this is the problem. I have an IT background and was wondering about date formats and the like, but the switches work as expected over a 12th/13th day of the month when the format could potentially be miss-interpreted (8/12/2023 being 8 Dec in UK format, 12 Aug US format, but 8/13/2023 can only be 13 Aug or an invalid date depending on how the software handles it.

Thank you for the consolidation information, I'll do that.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

The pool.ntp.org should be fine, not causing issues.

Something to work on for Netgear QA 8-)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements