× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GSM712 not recognizing Unifi AP.

Fffrank
Aspirant

GSM712 not recognizing Unifi AP.

This is an older gigabit switch but works fine for my needs.  All the ports work and I've tested them with various devices.  It also worked fine with my Unifi AP until recently when it just sort of went dead.....  When I plug in the AP it doesn't light up or blink or do anything.  I've tried multiple cables and every port.  Zilch, nada, nothing.  The same AP works fine in other switches and routers.  Would could possible cause this?

Model: GSM712|12-port Managed Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Fffrank,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

As I understand your concern, the GSM712 was working fine before with the Unifi AP. Then unexpectedly, the GSM712 won't work with the same Unifi AP and still the GSM712 switch works fine with other devices.  Also, the same Unifi AP works fine with other switches and routers.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Are there any recent changes made in the settings of the GSM712? 

b. Are there any recent changes made in the settings of the Unifi AP?

c. Is the port of the GSM712 where the Unifi AP is connected to a member of a VLAN?  If yes, is the same VLAN also configured on the Unifi AP? 

d. What is the current firmware version of the GSM712? 

e. Since the Unifi AP works with other switches as you have mentioned, are these switches also NETGEAR devices?  If yes, what is the model of the switches. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
Fffrank
Aspirant

@DaneA

Thanks for the response!  I've figured out the problem (sort of) but it's still puzzling.  First I'll answer your questions:

a. Are there any recent changes made in the settings of the GSM712?  No.

b. Are there any recent changes made in the settings of the Unifi AP?  Yes -- this has been confirmed to be part of the problem.  More below.

c. Is the port of the GSM712 where the Unifi AP is connected to a member of a VLAN?  If yes, is the same VLAN also configured on the Unifi AP?  No VLAN.  Flat Network.

d. What is the current firmware version of the GSM712? 2.6.0

e. Since the Unifi AP works with other switches as you have mentioned, are these switches also NETGEAR devices?  If yes, what is the model of the switches.  No, the other routers/switches I have tried are a generic PFSense box, a windows box with multiple NICs and a ASUS router.  The Netgear device is the only one having issues.

When the AP is flashed with version 3.9.54 it works perfectly.  As soon as I upgrade to the Unifi 4.xx firmware it quits linking with the Netgear switch, however.  Works with all of my other devices but never causes a light to come on on the face of the Netgear.  Auto-negotiation problem?  My next step is going to be to try and flash it with the 4.xx firmware and then manually set the router link speed.  Any other ideas?

Message 3 of 5
Fffrank
Aspirant

Tried another experiment. Connection links if I manually set port to 10 or 100. As soon as I set it to AUTO or 1000 it fails.
Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Fffrank,

Thank you for your response.  It seems that a compatibility issue happens between the GSM712 and the Unifi AP after the Unifi AP has been upgraded to the latest firmware.  The GSM712 is already on the latest firmware.  Have you tried to factory reset the GSM712 and check if the same problem will occur?  

Be reminded that the GSM712 is already End of Life (EoL) and there won't be any new firmware release or future fixes for it since it has been discontinued years ago. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements