× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to configure IGMP Snooping for Bonjour

infra-stephan
Aspirant

How to configure IGMP Snooping for Bonjour

Dear community,

we ran two switches A and B until recently (both HP ProCurve, fully managed). A printer is connected to switch A, some desktops and Wifi access points are connected to switch B. In this configuration, Bonjour worked without any issues. All mentioned devices are connected to VLAN 1.

Recently, we added a M4300 (latest firmware, 12.0.7.12) and connected switches A and B to it, so the M4300 is now our "core switch". We have noticed that Bonjour no longer works. Cross-checking (remove M4300 and connect switches A and B directly again) made Bonjour working again.

All switches are working on Layer 2 only.

First investigations revealed that some IGMP Snooping configuration is required on the M4300. What exactly has to be configured to make Bonjour work again?

Thanks for your help.

Stephan

Model: XSM4316S | M4300-8X8FStackable Managed Switch with 16x10G including 8x10GBASE-T and 8xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Stephan

In the meantime, and without interfering with NETGEAR Tech-Support teams, please see how you can reconfigure the M4300 back to default for IGMP Multicast on VLAN 1 without factory defaulting the switch.

The below is with the GUI if you need CLI commands just let me know.

Log into the M4300 GUI, and click blue button APPLY before leaving each page below:

- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Configuration: have all three IGMP Snooping Configuration Admin Mode, Validate IGMP Header and Proxy Querier mode ENABLE

Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Interface Configuration: all interfaces should show DISABLE in Admin Mode

Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\IGMP VLAN Configuration: we should show VLAN 1 (if not, we should add VLAN 1) and Admin Mode should show ENABLE, Fast Leave should show ENABLE, Membership interval 260, Maximum Response Time 10, Multicast Router Expiry Time 0, Report Suppression DISABLE and Proxy Querier ENABLE

-  Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Multicast Router Configuration: all interfaces should show DISABLE in Admin Mode

Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Multicast Router VLAN Configuration: it should be empty

Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Querier Configuration: Querier Admin Mode should show ENABLE, Snooping Querier Address should show 0.0.0.0 (used for querier election priority), IGMP Version 2, Query Interval(secs) 125 and Querier Expiry Interval(sec) 255

-   Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Querier VLAN Configuration: we should show VLAN 1 (if not, we should add VLAN 1) and Querier Election Participate Mode should show ENABLE, Querier VLAN Address should show 0.0.0.0 (used for querier election priority)

Go back to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Querier Configuration: now we should show VLAN 1 at the bottom of the page, under VLAN IDs Enabled for IGMP Snooping Querier

- Go to Maintenance\Save Config, or click the little "floppy disk" icon at the top of the page

With that, your M4300 should be back to default for its default IGMP Configuration on VLAN 1.

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

There was some recursion when it came to IGMP and Bonjour - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/M4300-v12-0-7-10-EIGRP-multicast-is-filtered/m-p/1... - guess we need some assistance from @LaurentMa here again.

Message 2 of 12
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi, extremely sorry for your issue. We shall fix it asap.

Can you make sure the Bonjour feature is set to Enabled in 12.0.7.12?

Using the M4300 GUI:
1. Navigate to System > Management > Bonjour > Bonjour Configuration.
2. Set Admin Mode to Enable.
3. Click the blue Apply button.

Using the M4300 CLI:
enable
configure
bonjour run
exit
save

Please let us know, with 12.0.7.12 the Bonjour feature must be enabled to let mDNS packets go through.

Regards,
Message 3 of 12
infra-stephan
Aspirant

Hi Laurent,

thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately it does not help, Bonjour/mDNS is still not working in the setup described above.

Best, Stephan

Model: XSM4316S | M4300-8X8FStackable Managed Switch with 16x10G including 8x10GBASE-T and 8xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 4 of 12
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi, sorry about that. I suspect an interop issue between A / B and the newly added M4300 core switch.

I'd like to make sure, before making you troubleshoot. Can you disconnect A and B, and connect your left printer and other right Access Points devices to the M4300 (as far as the port count lets you do that)? As you said it's Layer 2 and flat VLAN 1, nothing else should be done and Bonjour should work? Can you tell us?

If Bonjour works, then we have an IGMP issue between the new core and A /B. We shall fix it by configuring the IGMP Querier accordingly between the three switches. We will also control the Multicast Router mode in between A and B previously (maybe the ProCurve's do that). Again, sorry. Based on your response, we will evaluate the issue.

Regards,
Message 5 of 12
infra-stephan
Aspirant

Hi Laurent,

hm… connecting the printer and one other device to the M4300 is challenging due to the locations. I'll try to arrange a test setup but cannot guarantee that I can manage it.

Stephan

Message 6 of 12
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Stephan

OK sorry, if different locations I understand the challenge.

Then, we need to directly go to the troubleshooting. For this, we would need the following files:

- The switch A configuration file 

- The switch B configuration file

- The M4300 core switch tech-support file when the problem occurs (To do so, you can use the Web GUI, go to Maintenance \ Export \ HTTP File Export and select Tech Support in the dropdown list).

I am going to send you my email address by private message. If you can send me these files, we should be able to understand where the problem resides and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

Message 7 of 12
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Stephan

Thank you for the files, your case has been escalated at our Tech Support and you will be in touch asap. I am not sure yet of the root cause, for instance, the modified configuration of IGMP, over the NETGEAR default M4300 IGMP configuration on VLAN 1 (IGMP Snooping, IGMP Querier and IGMP Fast Leave).

I will update this thread per our findings so that it helps the Community.

Regards,

Message 8 of 12
infra-stephan
Aspirant

Hi Laurent,

changing the IGMP config was more try and error. I'll set it back to default if somebody tells me what they are. Unfortunately, it is not an option the reset the entire switch to factory defaults.

Best, Stephan

Message 9 of 12
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Stephan

In the meantime, and without interfering with NETGEAR Tech-Support teams, please see how you can reconfigure the M4300 back to default for IGMP Multicast on VLAN 1 without factory defaulting the switch.

The below is with the GUI if you need CLI commands just let me know.

Log into the M4300 GUI, and click blue button APPLY before leaving each page below:

- Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Configuration: have all three IGMP Snooping Configuration Admin Mode, Validate IGMP Header and Proxy Querier mode ENABLE

Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Interface Configuration: all interfaces should show DISABLE in Admin Mode

Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\IGMP VLAN Configuration: we should show VLAN 1 (if not, we should add VLAN 1) and Admin Mode should show ENABLE, Fast Leave should show ENABLE, Membership interval 260, Maximum Response Time 10, Multicast Router Expiry Time 0, Report Suppression DISABLE and Proxy Querier ENABLE

-  Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Multicast Router Configuration: all interfaces should show DISABLE in Admin Mode

Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Multicast Router VLAN Configuration: it should be empty

Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Querier Configuration: Querier Admin Mode should show ENABLE, Snooping Querier Address should show 0.0.0.0 (used for querier election priority), IGMP Version 2, Query Interval(secs) 125 and Querier Expiry Interval(sec) 255

-   Go to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Querier VLAN Configuration: we should show VLAN 1 (if not, we should add VLAN 1) and Querier Election Participate Mode should show ENABLE, Querier VLAN Address should show 0.0.0.0 (used for querier election priority)

Go back to Switching\Multicast\IGMP Snooping\Querier Configuration: now we should show VLAN 1 at the bottom of the page, under VLAN IDs Enabled for IGMP Snooping Querier

- Go to Maintenance\Save Config, or click the little "floppy disk" icon at the top of the page

With that, your M4300 should be back to default for its default IGMP Configuration on VLAN 1.

Regards

Message 10 of 12
infra-stephan
Aspirant

Hi Laurent,

thanks for your detailed instructions. That helped! When switching back the topology to the Switch A – M4300 – Switch B setup, all devices on Switch B can now see the printer on Switch A via Bonjour/mDNS.

Not sure how to continue. My issue seems to be resolved but I'd really love to see some instructions and explanations in the manual. Currently, it just reads

A Mac OS device that supports Bonjour can discover the switch in the network so that you
can find the switch IP address and log in to the local browser interface of the switch. Bonjour is enabled by default. You can disable Bonjour for security reasons.

Fantastic support, Laurent, by the way! 🙂

Best, Stephan

Message 11 of 12
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Stephan

Good news, in your case the default IGMP Snooping / Querier / Fast Leave configuration for VLAN 1 on an M4300 core switch  - as well as the default Bonjour management enabled feature - were necessary to carry Bonjour/mDNS packets from switches to other switches via the M4300 switch running 12.0.7.12 in your network. This is good information for the Community. Yes, this is right, let me work on our technical documentation, we shall explain this in the manual and online.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements