× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to setup LAG between 2 Netgear switches?

tonynsx
Luminary

How to setup LAG between 2 Netgear switches?

I'm trying to setup LAG between 2 Netgear switches, but its not working.  The switches I'm using are S3300-52X-PoE+ ProSAFE 48-Port Gigabit Stackable Smart Switch with PoE+ and 4 10G uplinks and XS728T ProSAFE 28-Port 10-Gigabit L2+ Smart Switch

On the 52 port switch, I'm using ports 51 and 52, and on the other switch I'm using ports 27 and 28, both LAG 1.  I do have VLANs, so I removed VLAN 3 from ports 51 and 52, and assigned to LAG 1 (lag on 52 port switch), and on the other switch, removed VLAN 3 from ports 27 & 28, and assigned it to LAG 1 (lag on the 28 port switch)

And when I connect the SFP+ cables, I'm loosing ping.  I can see the link lights on the SFP+ cables.  This is my first time setting up LAG, what am I doing wrong?  I'm trying to make a 20 Gb LAG between the 2 switches.

This is the KB that I'm following, but it looks old. 

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GSM7352SV2/how_to_configure_lag.pdf

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: How to setup LAG between 2 Netgear switches?

Here again, the same setings must be used on both ends. And for the obvious (?) reasons, only one VLAN can be run untagged and with the same PVID configured.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
tonynsx
Luminary

Not sure if this matters, but on the LAGs, I'm using it as untagged (U), do I need to use trunk (T)?  So from the 52 port switch (U) to the 28 port switch (U), should I be using 52 port switch (T) to the 28 port switch (T)?

Message 2 of 15
tonynsx
Luminary

Message 3 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Have changed the two SFP+ ports from stacking- to Ethernet-mode? 

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/S3300/S3300_SWA_EN.pdf p.84,  System > Stacking > Advanced > Stack-port Configuration (hm, the default is Stacking FWIW).

@tonynsx wrote:

And when I connect the SFP+ cables, I'm loosing ping.

Is there another link - direct or indirect - between the two swtches? Appears it is - because of no connection, no ping ... with a loop, with STP/RSTP being active globally on all connections, the links and/or the LAG can be shutdown due ot the loop situation.

Message 4 of 15
tonynsx
Luminary

On the S3300 52 port switch, the SFP+ ports 51,52 were already set to Ethernet.  And when I go to ports, I can see that these ports are labeled 'Trunk-Member' on this switch and the 28 port switch.

Currently I do have an ethernet cable as the trunk, but when I connect the SFP+ cables to both switches, I'm disconnecting the ethernet trunk.

The only thing that I can think it that may be I bought the wrong type of SFP+ cables?

Message 5 of 15
tonynsx
Luminary

I think the problem is that my LAG Type is still set to Static.  It says Static disables LCAP, but setting to LCAP enables it.

LAG Type. Specify whether the LAG is configured as a static or LACP port.
- Static—Disables Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP). The port does not
transmit or process received LAGPDUs, for example the member ports do not
transmit LAGPDUs and all the LAGPDUs it can receive are dropped. The LAG is
configured manually. The default is Static.
- LACP—Enables Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) on the selected LAG.
The LAG is configured automatically.

Message 6 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Needless to say the same LAG config is required on both switches - both LACP or both static LAG - isn't it?

Message 7 of 15
tonynsx
Luminary

I have both switches on Static lag.  On the 52 port switch, when I connect the SFP+ cable, it says link up on ports 51, and 52 on LAG 1, so looks like the 52 port switch is configured right.

I cannot get to the 28 port swith, so I can't look at its settings, but its setup the same way as the 52 port

Message 8 of 15
tonynsx
Luminary

I double checked both switches, and as far as I can tell, they're both configured right.  May be I have my cables crossed because I ran 4 SFP+ cables because I'm configuring 4 switches.  I'm testing with these 2 switches.

I'm going to remove the cables, and start over just to make sure its not a simple crossed cable.

Message 9 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@tonynsx wrote:

I have both switches on Static lag. 

This means much less assistence - a properly configued and working LACP LAG woud show if there is something wrong. On static LAG, you just have the links.

@tonynsx wrote:

On the 52 port switch, when I connect the SFP+ cable, it says link up on ports 51, and 52 on LAG 1, so looks like the 52 port switch is configured right.

This does just proof there are two links. Point. Nothing else.

@tonynsx wrote:

I cannot get to the 28 port swith, so I can't look at its settings, but its setup the same way as the 52 port

This does make things a little bit hmmmmmm Tonyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, hey?

Message 10 of 15
tonynsx
Luminary

Update, I have the LAG same way on both switches, but I changed it from untagged (U) to tagged (T), and now on both switches, LAGs are showing up.  I'm able to ping both switches now.

Message 11 of 15
schumaku
Guru

So the LAG isn't the issue - the VLAN association is (or was).

Message 12 of 15
tonynsx
Luminary

I suppose so, but in the documentation it says I can use U or T, besides the cat 5 trunk was using U

Message 13 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Here again, the same setings must be used on both ends. And for the obvious (?) reasons, only one VLAN can be run untagged and with the same PVID configured.

Message 14 of 15
tonynsx
Luminary

Ok, I appreciate your help

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements