× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lost access to Managed Switch via browser, prosafe utility & serial console port

Karlossimo
Guide

Lost access to Managed Switch via browser, prosafe utility & serial console port

I bought a used Managed Netgear switch Sept 2019 and have been using it with no issues. Recently I tried to login as I want to look at creating some VLAN's but noticed that there was no url to manage the switch. I have also tried to connect via Putty and ssh into the device on the serial port. That is not working either. I have reset the switch from the front but unable to find any factory reset button. I have also used the Netgear software - Smart Control Center & Prosafe Plus Utility which was unable to find the device even thuough I am using an IP of 192.168.0.210 as recommended. Is there anyway that I can get the management back so that I can make some changes?

Model: GSM7224P|ProSafe 24 ports gigabit managed L2 switch with PoE
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Lost access to Managed Switch via browser, prosafe utility & serial console port

@Karlossimo,

I reviewed again our conversation. 

I have tried connectiong through the serial port again. The switch is set to DB9 I have the serial cable plugged into the rear of the device. I have checked in the device manager and can see the USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM5) device is working with no errors.

Since you tried using a DB9 console cable, this time, let's use the USB console cable that came with your M4100 switch package.  Be sure that the switch at the rear part of the M4100 switch is set to USB console.  For you to be able to use the mini USB port, you must install the USB driver on the computer. To download the Windows USB driver, click here.  As reference, kindly read pages 22-23 of the M4100 Hardware Installation Guide here

Also, try using another PC/laptop to further isolate the problem.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 15

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Lost access to Managed Switch via browser, prosafe utility & serial console port

@Karlossimo,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I have also used the Netgear software - Smart Control Center & Prosafe Plus Utility which was unable to find the device even thuough I am using an IP of 192.168.0.210 as recommended.

The ProSAFE Plus Utility is for the Smart Managed Plus Switch Models while the Smart Control Center Utility is for the Smart Managed Pro Switch Models.  

I have also tried to connect via Putty and ssh into the device on the serial port. That is not working either.

Just to verify.  Since you tried to access the switch using the serial port, did you select the correct console port through the console slide switch on the rear panel as well as set the correct settings such Baud rate, Data bits, etc.?  As reference, kindly read pages 22-23 of the M4100 Hardware Installation Guide here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 15
Karlossimo
Guide

Hi @DaneA,

Thankyou for your reply.

I have tried connectiong through the serial port again. The switch is set to DB9 I have the serial cable plugged into the rear of the device. I have checked in the device manager and can see the USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM5) device is working with no errors. I have reviewed the hardware installation guide. Baud rate - 115200, Databits - 8,  Parity - None, Stop Bits - 1, Flow Control - None. I have applied these settings into Putty and I get nothing. If i choose the wrong COM port I get an error "Unable to open connection to COM1, Unable to open serial port", but on COM5 it connects but shows nothing.

Message 3 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Karlossimo,

If ever the M4100 switch is still connected to your existing network, it is possible that it has obtained an IP address from your DHCP server which could be your main router.  Kindly login to the web-GUI of your main router and check the attached devices.  From there, you might be able to determine what is the IP address of your M4100 switch.  

What is the behavior and status of the LED lights of the M4100 switch?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 15
Karlossimo
Guide

@DaneA 

Unfortunately it is not that easy. I have used Advanced IP Scanner to look for the switch with no luck. I also have a Unifi Security Gateway which lists all the devices connected and it doesn't show up there either.

The LED lights for each port behaves as expected with flashing green lights showing the gigabit traffic. I do have a couple of 100Mbit devices connected which is flashing orange/yellow. The Power light is lit and also the fan light.

Basically the switch is behaving well as a unmanaged POE switch. Unfortunately I need the managed functionallity

Message 5 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Karlossimo,

Just to verify.  Since you bought the M4100 switch used already, were you able to configure a Management VLAN on it before deploying it to your network?  If yes, were you able to access its web-GUI to manage it before? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 15
Karlossimo
Guide

@DaneA 

I was able to access the Web-GUI for a few months after I bought it. At the time I didn't have the need for VLAN's but now I do

Message 7 of 15
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Karlossimo,

I reviewed again our conversation. 

I have tried connectiong through the serial port again. The switch is set to DB9 I have the serial cable plugged into the rear of the device. I have checked in the device manager and can see the USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM5) device is working with no errors.

Since you tried using a DB9 console cable, this time, let's use the USB console cable that came with your M4100 switch package.  Be sure that the switch at the rear part of the M4100 switch is set to USB console.  For you to be able to use the mini USB port, you must install the USB driver on the computer. To download the Windows USB driver, click here.  As reference, kindly read pages 22-23 of the M4100 Hardware Installation Guide here

Also, try using another PC/laptop to further isolate the problem.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 8 of 15
Karlossimo
Guide

@DaneA 

WOW. The drivers were hard to install as it was being blocked by UAC and Windows 10 security. Had to disable a few settings but eventually installed the driver. Followed the guide to connect. checked the COM port number. and connected the cable to the switch and flicked the DB9 switch to use the USB. I opened Putty and input all the settings in and it connected. Amazing. Now I need to research what to do next????

I'm thinking of doing a firmware upgrade and wiping the existing config to start again.

Message 9 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@Karlossimo wrote:

@DaneA 

The drivers were hard to install as it was being blocked by UACC and Windows 10 security.

AFAIK there is a plain standard Silicon LabsCP210x driver. Unless Netgear has changed the USB device ID on the USB2serial chip integrated, one could assume that the switch (resp. the USB2serial chip integrated) would be recognized by Windows 10, the related drivers (correctly signed of course) are available direct on Windows resp. on the driver repository on Windows Update.

@DaneA  In case Netgear has changed the USB device ID, they should consider to update the Netgear distributed CP210xx USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers kit based on the sample available here - CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers Development Tools  - so there are properly signed drivers available, different from the almost on decade old 2011 legacy driver provided. 

@LaurentMa  this should be a part of the regular ongoing product management as these switches are certainly not throw away devices, isn't it? Thank you!

Message 10 of 15
Karlossimo
Guide

@DaneA 

I got the drivers to work and have full communications with the switch. I'm running through the Ezconfig now

Message 11 of 15
Karlossimo
Guide

@DaneA 

I have configured the IP settings and have the GUI back again. Thanks for your assistance

Message 12 of 15
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @schumaku 

There was no Device ID change. Let us control if a newer generation of drivers would be applicable, for now the drivers on our website for the Mini-USB console port can be used. Thank you,

@schumaku wrote:

@DaneA  In case Netgear has changed the USB device ID, they should consider to update the Netgear distributed CP210xx USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers kit based on the sample available here - CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers Development Tools  - so there are properly signed drivers available, different from the almost on decade old 2011 legacy driver provided. 

@LaurentMa  this should be a part of the regular ongoing product management as these switches are certainly not throw away devices, isn't it? Thank you

Message 13 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@LaurentMa wrote:

There was no Device ID change. Let us control if a newer generation of drivers would be applicable, for now the drivers on our website for the Mini-USB console port can be used.

Thank you Laurent for the feedback. Assuming the default USB2serial CP210x Device ID is in place (not a dedicted Netgear one), sholdn't Windows 10 install it automtically?

Message 14 of 15
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @schumaku 

I think the Device ID always been a specific NETGEAR Device ID hence requiring manual installation of the drivers. I just checked, the latest one on our website (all managed switch support pages is this one as you can see for instance there: instance https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4300.aspx#download

We will advise if a newer version can be made available or not. To our knowledge, the installation of the drivers we are providing for Windows, MacOS and Linux are seamless. Thank you

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements