× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4300-12X12F 24-Port Managed Switch 10G link fails to come up with Intel SFP PN: FTLX8571D3BCVIT1

Demi_California
Follower

M4300-12X12F 24-Port Managed Switch 10G link fails to come up with Intel SFP PN: FTLX8571D3BCVIT1

When Intel SFP PN: FTLX8571D3BCVIT is used inside M4300-12X12F 24-Port Managed Switch the 10G link fails to come up, an only way to get this link up is to go into switch configuration and make a manual update to settings, this removes ability to automate traffic tests and it's counter productive ecause the switch specification says that it has a Universal support for SFPs.  We bought probably a hundred Intel SFPs and we need this working.  

We also use another brand "Approved" model EX-SFP-10GE-SR-A and 10G link comes up right away.  We updated firmware to be latest 12.0.2.9 is there a new firwmare that will be available that fixes this bug?

Message 1 of 21
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: M4300-12X12F 24-Port Managed Switch 10G link fails to come up with Intel SFP PN: FTLX8571D3BCVIT

Hi Demi-California

Welcome to the Community!

Can you explain the manual update to settings you are forced to make on M4300-12X12F in order to see the link established with FTLX8571D3BCVIT1? As you can read here, these SFP+ transceivers are advertized by Intel® as "compatible" with X520 NICs, but not with certain other NICs. To me this is not a good sign first thing, I am wondering which interop one would expect with a 10G switch?

To answer your question, we strive to offer maximum compatibility with standard based, high quality third-party modules, but we don't claim universal support. Our M4300 documentation specifies NETGEAR-only compatible modules. There are thousands of modules on the market, and NETGEAR designs and tests its switch products for use with genuine NETGEAR Modules only. The use of third-party modules may result in reduced network performance and reliability, such as packet loss and connectivity issues. While the use of third-party Modules does not affect the NETGEAR switch's warranty, NETGEAR may not provide technical support for networking problems it determines are caused by third-party Modules only.

The Community is going to help you, before we open a case at Technical Support. Learning which settings you have to change on the switch will be a first step.

Next, it will be useful to learn what is located at the other end of your fiber connection: is it a server equipped with X520 NIC and that FTLX8571D3BCVIT1 transceiver too? If yes, did you try another combination, for instance the  FTLX8571D3BCVIT1 transceiver in M4300-12X12F and another transceiver on the other end? We need to nail down the issue as much as we can here. Often server connectivity issues with a 10G switch come from outdated driver for the NIC in the server for instance.

Please let us know!

Regards,

Message 2 of 21
atian
Aspirant

Re: M4300-12X12F 24-Port Managed Switch 10G link fails to come up with Intel SFP PN: FTLX8571D3BCVIT

Hi Demi-California,

1) when you said it failed to come up with 10G, did you mean the link is down or the link is up, but at 1G?

2) Could you provide the techsupport file? you can upload it to PC through GUI: Maintanence->export->http file export, select the 'techsupport file' in the drop menu.

3) what's the partner device? is it another M4300?

Message 3 of 21
Zebibyte
Aspirant

I see the same behavior on an M4300-28G and using Intel SFP+ modules.  They work fine with autonegotiation and at 1Gbps, but to get a 10Gbps link I have to manually configure both ends (NIC is an Intel x520).

The problem with this fix is that the configuration appears to be lost after each reboot or power cycle of the switch.  That means  the link won't come up, despite the switch seeing the SFP+ Ok in the tranceiver menu.  To fix this, all I have to do is select the port in the Switching->Ports->Port Config screen and then click Apply.  Somehow this wakes up the port and everything works again at 10G.  

Any way to get these SFPs to work and keep their 10G link config thru a reboot?

Running 12.0.2.9 on an M4300-28G, using either Intel FTLX8571D3BCV-IT optics or AFBR-703SDZ-IN2 optics (same behavior on both), and Intel x520 NICs

Message 4 of 21
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Zebibyte

I understand you're using Intel SFP+ modules in your Intel x520 NICs. I think you are doing so because Intel NICs might not work with third-party SFP+ modules. In our M4300 documentation, we specify NETGEAR-only modules. Why? Because NETGEAR designs and tests its switch products for use with genuine NETGEAR Modules only. The use of third-party modules may result in reduced network performance and reliability, such as packet loss and connectivity issues. While the use of third-party Modules does not affect the NETGEAR switch's warranty, NETGEAR may not provide technical support for networking problems it determines are caused by third-party Modules only. In your situation, best would be the Intel x520 NIC equipped with this Intel SFP+ module --> multimode fiber  --> NETGEAR AXM761 10GBASE-SR SFP+ module in M4300 switch.

To answer your question, we strive to offer maximum compatibility with standard based, high quality third-party modules, when it's possible. We don't claim universal support. The Community is going to help you, before we open a case at Technical Support.

First, please log in to the command line interface of the switch, and from enable mode, run the command: show tech-support. When done, you can proceed with the Web GUI. Please log in to the web interface, go Maintenance->Export->HTTP file export, select the 'techsupport file' in the drop menu.

Please send us the Tech Support file by email to switch_support@netgear.com. Please don't forget to include a link to this post on the Community forum. With the Tech Support file, we will be equipped to understand the problem with these SFP+ modules.

Regards,

Message 5 of 21
Zebibyte
Aspirant

Thanks, file and link sent as requested

Message 6 of 21
Zebibyte
Aspirant

Just a thought, while I appreciate the community and tech support, it's worth mentioning that this policy of requiring Netgear branded SFP+ does prevent some of us from purchasing more of your switches...

As an example, the current Amazon price for the SFP+ mentioned is $313.50

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-10GBASE-SR-GBIC-AXM761-10000S/dp/B0030L6ATQ

An SFP+ that's comparable for your competitors switches (Cisco and compatible)  is $19.99

https://www.amazon.com/10Gtek-SFP-10G-SR-Transceiver-module-300-meter/dp/B00U8Q7946

It's great to see the quick response from a Senior Product Line Manager here on a community support board, and it helps to know Netgear is listening to the issues we experience.  It would be great to see Netgear test and validate some less expensive modules for use in these switches.  Many of us in the industry have a drawer full of "compatible" SFP+ that just work in almost all of our other gear.

Message 7 of 21
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Thank you for your thoughts, this is good feedback! Yes, third-party modules can seem cost effective, when there's no interop issue. All major networking vendors experience same dilemna, how to offer high quality solutions with strict, intensive QA testing for perfect interop with genuine modules, and how at best support variable quality modules in the field. Should that make a difference for you, we also offer packs of 10s for our NETGEAR genuine 10GBASE-SR and 10GBASE-LR transceivers with better pricing incentive: for instance AXM761P10-10000S.

Back to your issue, our teams are on it. You might be contacted by PM or email from now on, and the Community will continue to monitor this post.

Regards,

Message 8 of 21
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

I'm just said we produced 12.0.2.10 new version of M4300 software solving this issue with Intel fiber modules above.

It will take a week before it is posted on our webiste as new firmware, so please contact Technical Support asking for 12.0.2.10 eroom and mentioning this post if you need it earlier.

Bst regards,

Message 9 of 21
Zebibyte
Aspirant

Hello, just checking on the release of 12.0.2.10.  Any estimate as to when it will be available on the website?

Thanks

Message 10 of 21
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

I am sorry it takes so long with our internal testing processes. Again, please contact Technical Support for this new firmware and you will receive private link for it.

Regards,
Message 11 of 21
Zebibyte
Aspirant

Thanks, just confirming, the only way I have to contact support now is via live chat, Monday-Friday 9AM-5PM PST?  I was hoping there was a way to email or open a ticket to request a link to this firmware, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Product Warranty Information

Product: M4300-28G (GSM4328S)
Serial Number: xxxxxx
Country of Purchase: United States
Purchased on:   08/Sep/2016 Upload proof of purchase
Registered on: 12/Sep/2016

Standard Product Warranty * :

- Hardware Warranty: **LIFETIME**
 - Phone Support: 90 days -> 07/Dec/2016
 - Email Support: 90 days -> 07/Dec/2016
 - Chat Support: ** LIFETIME **
 - Power Supply Warranty: **LIFETIME**
 - Accessories Warranty: **LIFETIME**

Advanced Support / Hardware Contracts:  

Complimentary ProSafe Lifetime NBD Replacement - Contract available till 24/Jan/2044

Message 12 of 21
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Zezibyte

With M4300 series models and all other NETGEAR ProSafe switches, you have 90 days of Technical Support via phone and email after the date of purchase; and then Lifetime Technical Support through online chat with Lifetime Next Business Day hardware replacement.

Yes I see you have purchased in September '16 so the 90 days are over for phone and email. When online chat isn't suitable enough, we have Service Contracts detailed in our switches datasheet. For instance PMB0333-10000S (OnCall 24x7 3-year CAT 3) for your M4300-28G (GSM4328S).

But the Community can help as well, that's why we are here. I will make sure we follow up with you as soon as possible. Please stay tuned!

Regards,

Message 13 of 21
sark
Aspirant

Has the issue been resolved concerning the direct connection between the M4300 12x12 and the Intel X520-DA2 10 GB SFP server card?

Message 14 of 21
sark
Aspirant

I am interested in buying this switch, and have a DELL R510 server with a dual port INTEL X520-DA2 card, which uses a passive copper coax direct attached cable (no SFP module required for the X520).

Message 15 of 21
Zebibyte
Aspirant

Yes, the latest firmware has helped with the Intel SFPs, but I'm not sure if they would work with a direct attached cable or not.  That introduces another SFP+ that Netgear would have to make work.  I'm not sure if they have any DAC certified or approved yet.

Message 16 of 21
sark
Aspirant

Great thanks.  So I will need to buy two LC compatible modules, one for the X520 and one for the 12x12.  Any suggestions? 

Message 17 of 21
Zebibyte
Aspirant

Message 18 of 21
sark
Aspirant

I was hoping for a non-$300+ option.

Message 19 of 21
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi sark,

I checked Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520-DA2 specifications, and I don't think it should work with SFP+ optical modules (transceivers).

Instead, Passive Direct Attach cables seem to be required for each port.

On the switch side, we should now support any MSA standard-based DAC cable, including our AXC761/AXC763.  But we know that servers are picky most of the time. I would advise you check with your DELL R510 server vendor, and requests the information for approved/certified DAC cables for your new server. This should be the best way to go.

Regards,

Message 20 of 21
NickNak
Aspirant

Hi,

I know this is an old pors, but just wanted to add some info to help anyone else.

I have the following hardware installed running VMware 6.x, and not experiancing any of the previously mentioned connection issues. Switches are on 12.0.2.12

2 x 4300-12X12F Stack
4 x Dell R810, with 1 x Intel82599EB 10 Gig TN, 1 x Qlogic NetXtreme II BCM57711 10 Gig cards fitted

1 x ReadyNAS 4312
2 x ReadyDATA 5200

All of these are connected together with following SFP / DAC

Fiberstore SFP-10G-DAC (less than $20)
FiberStore SFP-10GSR-85 (less than $20)
Intel Corp FTLX8571D3BCV-IT 10GBase-SR

The FS kit was low enough cost to be worth a try, and I have to say all worked first time, and have seen no issues in production. The mentioned Intel kit was from some legacy kit, so no price known, but all works fine.

Nick

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements