× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4300-12X12F (XSM4324S) needs reboot to access admin interface

Trollpaw
Aspirant

M4300-12X12F (XSM4324S) needs reboot to access admin interface

Hello. 

I have a strange issue with a couple of our Netgear Switches. 

They're of model m4300-12x12f(XSM4324S). 

They're being used as core switches in the different houses in a business park. 

After some time running we can no longer access the switch to administer it. Neither WebGUI or Telnet is accessible, and the switch shows as down in NMS300. Doesn't seem to be any other loss of function, but we can't admin it, or ping the device, and since NMS300 sees them as down, we can't really get reliable data when looking for issues in the network.

After reboot of the switch it's accessible for a while, both over web and telnet. Not quite sure how long, but it think it holds for about a week, then it's unreachable again and needs to be rebooted to be accessible. 

We have not seen this in any of the other Netgear-switches we have deployed(mostly S3300). 

all 3 switches has different firmware versions (12.0.2.6, 12.0.4.8 and 12.0.6.7)

when i've searched for the issue it mostly comes down to doing RMA, but I find it unlikely that 3 switches purchased months apart would be broken. 

I have included the "TechSupport" file downloaded from one of the switches, this is downloaded today after a reboot. 

Any suggestions? 

Regards

Stoffe Eriksson

Västgöta-data AB

Model: XSM4324S|M4300-12X12F - Stackable Managed Switch with 24x10G including 12x10GBASE-T and 12xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: M4300-12X12F (XSM4324S) needs reboot to access admin interface

@Trollpaw,

As far as I have checked with the NETGEAR Support Team, there are no known issue as per described here in the initial post on the previous firmwares.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Trollpaw,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I suggest you try to update the firmware of all 3 M4300-12X12F switches to the latest version which is v12.0.7.15.  You can download it here.  Then, check if the same problem will occur. 

You may want to perform a factory reset on the switch after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure the settings from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 14
Trollpaw
Aspirant

Thank you for the answer. 

I will try that. 

In the meantime, do you know if this is something known to happen in previous firmwares? 

Regards

Stoffe Eriksson

Message 3 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Trollpaw,

As far as I have checked with the NETGEAR Support Team, there are no known issue as per described here in the initial post on the previous firmwares.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 14
Trollpaw
Aspirant

@DaneA 

Thank you for replying and checking. 

I will try and update the firmware to the latest on all 3 switches and see how it goes. 

I'll accept your reply as a solution in the meantime. 

Regards

Stoffe Eriksson

Message 5 of 14
Trollpaw
Aspirant

@DaneA 

I got another question if that is alright, in regards to this. 

Is it alright to use the old config-file after the update and factory reset, or must I do everything from scratch?

I mean, backup configuration, update, factory reset, reload configuration. 

or should i do it another order? or not use the backup config at all after the update?

Regards

Stoffe Eriksson

Message 6 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Trollpaw,

You can reload the config file after doing a factory reset. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 14
jg1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can confirm that there is a problem. I have several M4300-12X12F with 12.0.7.12 that reboot when accesing the web interface. These were upgraded from 12.0.2.15. SSH assess is not triggering the reboot, only the web interface. 

Message 8 of 14
jg1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also confirmed that 12.0.7.10 exibits the same behavior.  

Message 9 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jg1 / @Trollpaw,

Just want to inform you that M4300 firmware v12.0.7.17 has been released.  Kindly check its bug fixes and known issues as well as you can download it here.  

I suggest you to upgrade the firmware of your M4300 switch/es to firmware v12.0.7.17 and observe if the same problem occurs. 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 14
jg1
Aspirant
Aspirant

12.0.7.17 does not fix the issue. The swtich still reboots as soon as the web gui is accessed.

Message 11 of 14
msi
Luminary
Luminary

I'd recommend opening a case with Netgear and also to configure a remote syslog server where the affected switches can send their logs to. This has proven useful for analysis of post-mortems overall since you will at least catch the logs until the point where the switch crashes and reboots. Configuring a Linux box with rsyslog to receive syslog from remote systems is pretty easy to accomplish, there are plenty of examples and tutorials on the internet.

I don't use the WebUI on our M4300 as the access to the management VLAN is pretty restrictively configured in my case and I prefer SSH, however I actually need to run 12.0.7.17 due to stacking fixes that were quite annoying (in 12.0.7.12) or actually problematic (12.0.7.15) that have been fixed with 12.0.7.17

Message 12 of 14
Trollpaw
Aspirant

Hello everyone

Thanks all for all the answers. 

The update of the switches did not solve the problem. 

I think however there has been some confusion. That's most likely my fault, not explaining thourogh enough

The switches does not reboot when we access the admin interface. We need to reboot the switches to be able to access it. And that goes for SSH aswell. Whenever the problem manifests itself, we cannot access it to administer it, regardless of what method we use

The switch does what it is supposed to do still, it handles the traffic, and everyone has a connection. But since we can't access it, we can't administer it, do backups via NMS300, or do any monitoring via NMS300, since NMS300 sees the switch, erroneously, as down. So it seems like it stops accepting traffic on the management VLAN, or something. We have configured NMS300 with access to HTTPS, SSH and SNMP. 

As i said, we only see it on our M430012X12F, we have 3, all three behaves the same.    All other Netgearswitches in the the network(several S3300, and a couple older ones) does not behave like this. 

So it does not feel like it should be a hardware issue, since it manifests on all 3, and have done so since the beginning. The switches is bought a couple of months apart.

I've been looking for a way to send a case to Netgear, but we have no support agreements or anything like that, and the 90 day complementary support has passed on all 3. So I can only see hardware to be a viable option for support, but since this does not feel like hardware issues that feels incorrect. (plus, we can't really send the switches away since we have nothing to replace them with right now). 

Sorry for the text being long and rambling, just trying to be as clear as possible. 

If anyone has any ideas or other things we can try with, it is highly appreciated. 

Regards

Stoffe Eriksson

Message 13 of 14
msi
Luminary
Luminary

I've had an actual bug in the firmware way past the 90d support. If you have registered your switch, log into my.netgear.com

There should be an option for chat support. Contact them via chat, thereafter they will likely open a case.

Good luck!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements