× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4300-24x: switching ports to "stack" mode needs reboot?

jmozdzen
Tutor

M4300-24x: switching ports to "stack" mode needs reboot?

Hi *,

I'm extending our existing M4300-24x (latest firmware) by another chassis (-24x) and want to create a stack of the two.

From my tests, it seems that switching an interface to "stack" mode (to link both chassis) will only be active after a reboot. Since all ports are per default set to "Ethernet", this means we'll have to reboot the existing switch in order to create the stack.

While the software administration manual mentions to reboot the switch after setting the according port(s) to "stack" mode, it seems strange that I need to break production just to enable a port for stacking. Have I overlooked some possibility to achieve the same without rebooting the already running switch?

Regards,

Jens

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ElaineP
NETGEAR Expert

Re: M4300-24x: switching ports to "stack" mode needs reboot?

Hi Jens,

Welcome to the community! 

After change port to ‘Stack ’ mode from ‘Ethernet’ mode, the switch need to reboot, or not, the port still work as Ethernet port.

If add another switch for stack, the stack member will reboot, too.

Hope it can help you.

Regards,

NETGEAR Employee.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
ElaineP
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Jens,

Welcome to the community! 

After change port to ‘Stack ’ mode from ‘Ethernet’ mode, the switch need to reboot, or not, the port still work as Ethernet port.

If add another switch for stack, the stack member will reboot, too.

Hope it can help you.

Regards,

NETGEAR Employee.

Message 2 of 4
jmozdzen
Tutor

Hi Elaine,

> After change port to ‘Stack ’ mode from ‘Ethernet’ mode, the switch need to reboot

I feared so. Well, have done it (and done it wrong, it's been too late on Friday event, obviously) but now the stack is up & running.

May I suggest that Netgear engineers have another look at that part of the code and try to implemement a  non-disruptive way of configuring that port mode? Rebooting switches is always putting server applications at risk (if you at least have an already redundant switch configuration you're simply trying to expand) or requires a maintenance window (if you currently have only set up your first of more switches in the stack), which is something to avoid in today's infrastructures...

But since above is more of a rhetorical question: case closed 😉

Regards,

Jens

Message 3 of 4

Just FYI, every vendor who supports switch stacking (Aruba, Cisco, Netgear) requires a reboot for a switch stack to take effect. This is not endemic to Netgear.

I recommend you plan for reboots accordingly if you intend to do this in the future. If rebooting is not an option, trunk the switches instead. 🙂

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements