× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4300 fiber ports laser is off when port is disabled

sternk
Tutor

M4300 fiber ports laser is off when port is disabled

Hi,

We have used an XSM7224S switch previously, and that switch had the optical signal ON for every port,

whether the port was enabled or not ( meaning admin-mode enabled ).

On the M4300, however, when admin mode is disabled, the optical signal is OFF.

Is there a configuration setting on the M4300 which can keep the optical signal ON, even though the port is not admin-enabled ?

(e.g. not participating in the network)

Regards,

Ken

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
sternk
Tutor

Re: M4300 fiber ports laser is off when port is disabled

I'm talking about the "laser", e.g. the red light.   Even with the port disabled in software. the XSM7224S has the signal on.

We've resolved the difference in the M4300 by turning on the port before reading the optical laser power measurement (e.g. Rx) on the other end (from the transceiver in the device being connected to the switch ).

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @sternk,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

I checked the XSM7224S user manual here, there is no term "optical signal" or an option to configure that shows "optical signal" in Port Configuration (see page 169).  Also, I checked the M4300 user manual here and cannot find the term "optical signal" or an option to configure that shows or similar to "optical signal" in Port Configuration (see page 258).

What is the current firmware of the M4300 switch?  If ever its not yet the latest version, I suggest you to upgrade it to the latest version which is v12.0.4.9.  You can download firmware v12.0.4.9 here.  Be sure to perform a factory reset on the M4300 switch after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure the settings from scratch in order to start clean using the altest firmware version.  Then check is the same concern occurs.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@sternk,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
sternk
Tutor

The firmware revision made no difference.

The optical signal is off when the port is disabled.

I don't know why it was on with the XSM7224S.

It's logical to have the port on.

I've changed the test mechanization to turn the port on before checking the signal.

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @sternk,

Just following up on this.  It would be best that you post a screenshot of the hardware or image of the "optical signal" you are referring to on the XSM7224S. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
sternk
Tutor

I'm talking about the "laser", e.g. the red light.   Even with the port disabled in software. the XSM7224S has the signal on.

We've resolved the difference in the M4300 by turning on the port before reading the optical laser power measurement (e.g. Rx) on the other end (from the transceiver in the device being connected to the switch ).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements