× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: M5300-28G3 Management VLAN Disable Routing

pbrady
Aspirant

M5300-28G3 Management VLAN Disable Routing

Hey,

I'm testing a stack of M5300-G3 switches with the 11.x firmware and just cannot get the managment VLAN figured out.  It seems that whatever I do the managment VLAN becomes a routing VLAN - which I don't want.  What I do have is:

1. a number of other VLANs, both IPv4 and IPV6, all happily routing and switching
  2. DNS, DHCP etc all happy.
  3. Alternate CISCO ASA manages the routing between the normal user subnets and my secure management VLAN

I had this configuration working on firmware 10.x but can't seem to find the magic commands to set an IP address of the device without also setting the management VLAN to a routing VLAN.

Thanks in advance,

-pete

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pbrady,

I regret to inform you that the method in the v10.x firmware of having a non-routable management VLAN is no longer available in the v11.x firmware.  With regard to this, it would be best to implement Access Control Lists or ACLs to restrict unwanted traffic to/from the management VLAN using the v11.x firmware.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pbrady,

I regret to inform you that the method in the v10.x firmware of having a non-routable management VLAN is no longer available in the v11.x firmware.  With regard to this, it would be best to implement Access Control Lists or ACLs to restrict unwanted traffic to/from the management VLAN using the v11.x firmware.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
pbrady
Aspirant

No need to apologise - firmware series changes are a chance for vendors to implement changes.  Its just this was not clear from my reading of the V11 documentation.

Is the management VLAN then a full routing VLAN the same as any other VLAN?

If I adjust the routing and ACLs across my network I can use the M5300, with ACLs, as the gateway to my other devices on the secure VLAN?

Thanks in advance,

-pete

Message 3 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @pbrady,

@pbrady wrote:

Is the management VLAN then a full routing VLAN the same as any other VLAN?

Yes.

@pbrady wrote:

If I adjust the routing and ACLs across my network I can use the M5300, with ACLs, as the gateway to my other devices on the secure VLAN?

The VLAN interface will act as the default gateway for the device in that VLAN.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
pbrady
Aspirant

Thanks DaneA, this has fixed the problem for me.  Now just fine tuning the ACLs for full access.

Thanks again,

-pete

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pbrady,

You're welcome! Smiley Happy

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.  

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements