× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MAC Based VLAN question

TedW
Aspirant

MAC Based VLAN question

I currently have an M4300-52G-PoE+ switch stack consisting of 4 switches.  Right now I have ports 1-18 on each assigned to VLAN 1 and Ports 19-48 assigned to VLAN 5.  Each VLAN has their own DHCP Scope on our Windows Server 2012 R2 DHCP Server, with VLAN 1 being 10.1.0.1/255.255.255.0 and VLAN 5 being 10.1.12.1/255.255.254.0

We keep all of our company printers on VLAN 1 with IP reservations on our DHCP server in the 10.1.0.X range.  Last week I accidentally moved one of the Printers from a port on VLAN 1 to a port with VLAN 2 membership.

My question is, could I have used the MAC Based VLAN feature on my switch to avoid this?  Can I simply add the MAC addresses of all of my printers into the MAC Based VLAN  Configuration table, and no matter what port I plug them into they will automatically get VLAN 1 assigned to them?  If that is the case, do I need to add VLAN 1 as TAGGED to all of the ports that it is currently not UNTAGGED on?

MACvlan.JPG

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

TedW

Message 1 of 2
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: MAC Based VLAN question

Hi TedW,

Yup, that is exactly what MAC-based VLANs are for 🙂 

Your printers are likely not VLAN aware, so you would add VLAN 1 as UNtagged on all the ports where you potentially would plug in a printer.

Cheers

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements