× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mirror uplink on a stack

l27
Guide
Guide

Mirror uplink on a stack

Capture.PNG

I have enabled OSPF across a connection coming in and I want to split that connection and plug it in to both switches. Is this possible? I cannot add the same IP address to a port on the other switch. I guess I could configure a second IP address and enable routing on it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Message 1 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Mirror uplink on a stack

Hi l27,

Based on the diagram, the M4300-28G switches are in a stack which means that it will function as one switch.  Is the switch that will split the incoming connection also a NETGEAR switch?  If yes, what is the model of it?  

Let me share the article below as reference guide about planning your network setup:

How do I configure Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) on a border router using the web interface on my ...

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 14
l27
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the reply. It's an HP 2910al. Maybe I could create a trunk between the switches?

Message 3 of 14
l27
Guide
Guide

To add one more point. I have ospf working. I just want to split the incoming connection from the ISP which is a layer 2 connection so it's plugged into each switch should one fail. I know I still have a single point of failure with the additional switch and the ISP's equipment but it would make me feel a little better. I did ask the ISP if they would give me 2 routers, (They really aren't a router because it's a layer 2 connection so I'm not sure what to call them, I didn't put it in the diagram but it's between the switch and the cloud.), but they said no eventhough they brought in 2 pairs of fiber for redundancy.

Message 4 of 14
l27
Guide
Guide

One last bit of info. I also have an MPLS that I can use as a backup to this connection. Maybe I just rely on that and should one of the netgear switches fail I simply move the connection in the diagram from one switch to the other and reconfigure one of the ports.

Message 5 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi l27,

Welcome to Netgear Community!

According your description, I suggest you could create a trunk between M4300 stacking switch and HP 2910al switch just as you said.

One key point: Make sure the trunk mode should be same on two switches, M4300 LAG port default mode is LACP, so please make sure the LAG mode is LACP too on HP 2910al.

Regards

Ericz

Netgear Employee

Message 6 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi l27,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to create a trunk between M4300 stacking switch and HP 2910al switch?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 14
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi l27,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 8 of 14
l27
Guide
Guide

Sorry I haven't had allot of time to look at this. From the Netgear perspective how would I do this because I cannot figure out how to assign the same ip address to both ports.

I probably won't have time to look at this for a week or so. Thanks for helping me with this.

Message 9 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi l27,

As your reqirement, you could configure as below:

Step1: add two ports to one LAG port; refer to the link (Page258 Link Aggregation Groups).

Step2: create a VLAN, add the LAG port to VLAN; refer to the link (Page169-175 Configure VLANs).

Step3: enable L3 VLAN routing port and set IP address; refer to the link (Page315 Configure VLAN Routing).

Regards

Ericz

Netgear Employee

Message 10 of 14
l27
Guide
Guide

That makes perfect sense. I will give that a shot. Because of the nature of these changes I will not be able to do this without scheduling maintenance downtime. So please be patient if I don't reply within the next week or 2.

Thanks,

John

Message 11 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@l27,

I just want to follow-up on this again.  Were you able to try the steps suggested by @Retired_Member?  If yes, what are the results?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@l27,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information I’ve provided has helped resolve your concern or if you need further assistance.  

If ever your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 14
l27
Guide
Guide

Thanks for following up. I just got some time to try this finally. I couldn't get it to work. As soon as I disabled OSPF on port 1/0/2 it seams like all routing would stop. I did create the LAG and the VLAN, added the IP address and enabled OSPF for the new VLAN but it wouldn't work. I have a local VLAN that would stop working. Oddly enough I could ping a device on the other local VLAN from the other VLAN. So from VLAN 1 to VLAN 100 I could ping but nothing else would work. Very strange. Also routes to the other site would not work across the newly created VLAN 10. Also after I removed the port from OSPF and enabled OSPF on the new VLAN I could ping the VLAN ip address from VLAN 1 but I would have random time outs. 

Not sure where to go from here.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements