× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need 24 port POE 16 watts per port managed (Gigibit)

Fred2634
Aspirant

Need 24 port POE 16 watts per port managed (Gigibit)

New to community......Looking for the best solution for a 24 port POE Gigibit switch with 16W per port and managed. Want to be able to re-boot each port and the switch remotely. We will have 3 of these switches cascaded together. Any suggestions which would be the best product? We do video surveillance cameras.

Thanks,

Fred

Model: FSM726|24-port 10/100 Mbps Managed Switch with Gigabit ports
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Fred2634,

Thanks for the reply John. Our project includes 3 cabinets located 30' at ceiling level in a warehouse where the POE switches will be installed (24 port) for the IP cameras. The cameras will require up to 16V. If we need to reboot a camera and or the complete switch through the IP address of the switch, is what we are looking for. From what I understand this would be a managed switch ........... that we can "manage". There are 3 switches connected together throughout the warehouse (cascaded together) with 1 CAT5 cable going to the headend room to manage switches. Can you recomend a switch that will do this?

Thanks,

Fred

Yes, you are correct. If you wanted a switch that has a remote management, then the least that I can suggest is the M4300 series. Just put a check on the lower left corner, "POE+ up to 30w per port" so that you can filter the POE switches.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Fred2634,

Welcome to our community!

It seems that you were looking for a POE+(802.3at) as it can provide power upto 25 watts per port. Is that correct? I just want to make sure that we are in the same page before we provide you the right product.

You may check our POE switches here.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
Fred2634
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply John. Our project includes 3 cabinets located 30' at ceiling level in a warehouse where the POE switches will be installed (24 port) for the IP cameras. The cameras will require up to 16V. If we need to reboot a camera and or the complete switch through the IP address of the switch, is what we are looking for. From what I understand this would be a managed switch ........... that we can "manage". There are 3 switches connected together throughout the warehouse (cascaded together) with 1 CAT5 cable going to the headend room to manage switches. Can you recomend a switch that will do this?

Thanks,

Fred

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Fred, 

With a camera requiring "up to 16W" it can't be PoE as per the initial IEEE 802.3af-2003 standard, which can provide up to 15.4 W on each port (at the power source equipment, PSE), but only 12.95 W are guaranteed at the PoE device (powered device PD).

Next higher standard is 
IEEE 802.3at-2009also known as PoE+ or PoE. Here we have up to 30 W vailable at the PSE, and maximum of 25.5 W at the PD.

A camera requiring "up to 16W" must request a Class 4 power from the PoE+ switch:

PoE Classes.PNG

Provide more information on the camera (make, model, PoE class, ...).

TIA,

-Kurt

Message 4 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Fred2634,

Thanks,

Fred

Yes, you are correct. If you wanted a switch that has a remote management, then the least that I can suggest is the M4300 series. Just put a check on the lower left corner, "POE+ up to 30w per port" so that you can filter the POE switches.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Something more hit my eyes.
- CAT5 ... are you sure?
- All links well under 100 meters?
- Cascading ... enough bandwidth for all the (3 X 24?) camera video streams?

From the reliability view, the risk of issues due to thunderstorms or static discharge, I would tend towards fiber (is. OM3) links for connecting each switch and camera group individually to the next distribution point.
Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@Fred2634 ... can we come back to the camera make/model you have in mind? When I'm reading "16 W" this reminds me somehow to some legacy or PoE standards compliant power injectors. Why do I ask? If the cameras can operate from a "normal" PoE switch, and you need simple admin capabilities, the new Insight Managed Switches come into my mind, ie. the GC728XP (599 USD including two SFP and teo SFP+ 10 Gb uplink ports). Beyond the pure mobile App, Netgear has added a nice Web portal ... now figuring out of there will be simple PoE Reset and PoE On/PoE Off toggles available on the coming-up version.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements