× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No internet connection through switch gs324

suUsr
Initiate

No internet connection through switch gs324

Hi there - I installed GS324 per the Small Office/Home Office Network Diagram mentioned on the box and am having issues.  I have cat5e through the walls to many rooms, connecting desktop PCs and an Xbox 360.

My Network topology is TWC Cable coax for internet into a ARRIS SB6183 cable modem + ASUS RT-N66W wifi router, into the Netgear GS324 switch and through port # 1. I plugged in my home network patch cables going to different rooms from ports 2-24.

Internet access through Wifi (using the ASUS RT-N66W wifi router) and any of the 4 ports connected to the router works well. I also tried connecting another 8 port D-Link switch to one of the 4 ports on RT-N66W and I have no problems whatsoever with my home network. 

Any connections out from GS324 switch via an ethernet cable can no longer see ethernet. I do get at an IP address from my router so I assume the connections and cables are just fine. Just wierd that I cannot ping (may be disabled in the router config) or traceroute to my Router/default Gateway.

I don't know what troubleshooting steps to take to get the GS324 switch working, and would appreciate help.

Message 1 of 2
suUsr
Initiate

Re: No internet connection through switch gs324

Hello community,

I submitted a ticket with Netgear support and received a suggestion to isolate the problem with only one host on the Switch network. I followed their suggestion and removed all cables from my wifi router and switch, restarted router and made a single connection to test Netgear support engineer's suggestion. The connection I made was Cable Modem to Router's WAN port and from Router's LAN port to Switch's Port #1 and then from Switch to my laptop. Restarted Switch.

This single connection worked just fine. 

Thereafter I slowly reconnected cable after cable in my home network and the network so far has been working OK for the last 15 minutes.

I'm guessing that there was a loop in the switch of some sort with my previous connection. I swear I double checked everything, but since I'm unable to prove at this time, I'm second guessing myself.

I will keep an eye on the network for the next 24 hours. Thank you for your assistance Netgear Support.

Thank you!

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements