× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Smart switch VS. Managed switch

Eryk1138
Aspirant

Smart switch VS. Managed switch

Greetings,

I have a question in regards to if I should purchase a managed or Smart switch. We currently have a JGS524. Just an old Bit spitter for a Small office. I have an issue with bandwith allocation due to an expantion of remote users connecting to my firewall and running through a VPN tunnel.

I need a solution that will be more efficiant to manage bandwith for my users both internal and external. The current configuration is my router is forwarded to the firewall, the firewall connect to the JGS524 switch. My users are connectin directly to the firewall. Behind the firewall I have a ReadyNas, I also have another ReadyNas at an offsite location that my main unit replicates to.

That being said due to our repid growth with the Nas and VPN users I am concernedabout bandwith both within the office and the remote VPN users. Would a Smart swich or Layer 3 managed switch allow me to manage/allocate bandwith usage for my users. We purched much more bandwith but haveing a more efficiant switch and one with better control seems to me like a worth while upgrade. I was looking at the FS728TL.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122597&cm_re=smart_switch_POE-_-33-122-597...

Can anyone confirm if I am going in the right direction? I am a little unsure if I would need a managed or smart switch.

Message 1 of 4
Eryk1138
Aspirant

Re: Smart switch VS. Managed switch

Just a minor correction, I have my internal users connecting to the switch, and My Remote users connectiong directly to the Firewall Via VPN.

Message 2 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Eryk1138,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Based from the network requirement you have stated in your initial response, I believe that the FS728TLP smart switch is not suitable.  I suggest that you go with the NETGEAR Fully Managed Switches like the M4100 Series​​​​​ or the M4300 Series.  

Let me share this forum thread here since its kinda similar to your concern and it will give you an idea why a Fully Managed Switch is needed instead of a Smart Switch.

Furthermore, let me share the NETGEAR Business Products Catalog 2017 here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Eryk1138,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to access and read the links I have shared to you?  Let us know if you have questions.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements