× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Smart switches question

johnny6
Aspirant

Smart switches question

Can these switch ports be set up to only allow one connection? For example, if someone decided to hook up a router or another network switch to one of the ports, they would only get one IP address?

We have a problem with some people connecting hardware up to our network and creates issues. I can't confirm this but I believe there have been times where something is connected to our network that is passing out DHCP IP addresses which are different than our subnet and course, creates real problems.
Message 1 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Smart switches question

you can assign specific mac address only to those ports so that will not work if other devices are used
Message 2 of 5
johnny6
Aspirant

what are my options? Do I need to look at different Netgear switches? Do I need a fully managed switch to do what I am trying to do?
Message 3 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

layer2 switch should able to assign specific mac address to each ports. meaning you will not hang off a switch behind from that ports unless switch behind another switches will have also configure that each ports going to each wall outlet specify with correct mac address.
Message 4 of 5
fordem
Mentor

Each network device has a unique MAC address, which can be used to identify it.

Sme, but not all, of Netgear's SmartSwitches allow you to lock a MAC address to a given port - once that has been configured, if a user then disconnects that device and connects another one in it's place - that second device will not connect to the switch, this can be used to prevent them from switching devices.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements