× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN Configuration

Issen
Tutor

VLAN Configuration

Hi,

I have installed a new network in our office to start implementing VLANs. 

We have today 3 Switches (2x GS724T connected to VMware ESXi Hosts) and (1x GS748T connected to all Laptops and our firewall).

We are using Watchguard XTM 330 as a firewall that support VLAN.

If I use the default settings on does Switches, everything works fine and everyone can ping eachother and all ports using Untagged VLAN 1.

But as soon I start involving VLAN, then do we have some issues.

What I try to do is create a Untagged VLAN for all my laptops.

My Production VLAN are at the moment using VLAN 1 but want to change in the future to VLAN 99.

My Clients will I move to VLAN 97.

When I setup VLAN 97 in my Gateway I can ping it from VLAN 1. But as soon I setup VLAN 97 on my Switches on port 47 and Tagged VLAN 97 on port 48 I can't ping the gateway anymore when I connect my laptop to port 47. (I using Static IP GW: 10.0.97.1 Laptop: 10.0.97.2).

Any ideas how to continue? 

Fireware level: 6.3.1.11 on all switches. 

Thanks

Christian

Model: GS724T|24-port Gigabit Smart Switch,GS748T|48-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: VLAN Configuration

Hi Issen,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Based from the firmware version 6.3.1.11 you have mentioned, it seems that you have GS748Tv5 and GS724Tv4 switches.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. How is everything connected? Kindly post an image or screenshot of your detailed network setup.

b. Is the port connecting the GS748T to the firewall set to tagged with a PVID=1 and member of all VLANs?

You may check this link as reference guide.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Issen,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Based from the firmware version 6.3.1.11 you have mentioned, it seems that you have GS748Tv5 and GS724Tv4 switches.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. How is everything connected? Kindly post an image or screenshot of your detailed network setup.

b. Is the port connecting the GS748T to the firewall set to tagged with a PVID=1 and member of all VLANs?

You may check this link as reference guide.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
Issen
Tutor

Hi Dane,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes the models is GS748Tv5 and GS724Tv4.

I have try to attach a small visio picture as an overview. 

But where Port 27 is my "Guest Network Port" are using Untagged VLAN 97 and on port 40, 49 and 50 I used Tagged.

Also on port 27 have I used PVID 97 to really say it should be on that VLAN. 

VLAN.jpg748-status.JPG

748-PVID.JPG

Port 40 goes to my Watchguard XTM Firewall/Router where I also have VLAN 97 configured as Tagged VLAN.

WG-VLAN.JPG

And to verify that VLAN doesn't work on the NetGear did I configured one interface on my GS724Tv4 with VLAN97 and static IP on both my laptop and the server. And I can't ping between them.

724-status.JPG

I will look at your link tomorrow. 

Thanks

Christian

Message 3 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Issen,

Just kindly check the link and that might help. 

Also, is VLAN routing configured on the GS748Tv5?  What I think is the ping reaches the gateway, have you tried to configure a default route?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 10
Issen
Tutor

Hi Dane,

I follow the link you sent me but that didn't work.

I have also add the Route in my IP settings but it doesn't work, and I have try to ping in the same VLAN without jumping to the Watchguard.

It seams like VLAN between Switch and Switch doesn't work.

Any more test I can try? Or should I open a Support ticket?

/Christian

Message 5 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Issen,

Let us isolate the problem if VLAN does not really work on the NETGEAR switches.  Kindly do the steps below:

a. Disconnect the GS748Tv5 from the existing network then perform a factory reset on the GS748Tv5.

b. Configure VLAN 97 then set ports 15-20 as members of VLAN 97 with PVID of 97.

c. Connect 2 PCs within ports 15-20.  Set a static IP address on the 2 PCs that is within the same range.  For example: 192.168.97.x/24 where x is any number.

d. Open command prompt on the 2 PCs and check if you will get a reply when you ping the static IP address from PC1 to PC2 and vice versa.

e. Kindly repeat same steps from above for the GS724Tv4 switches.

However, you may open an online case with NETGEAR Support here at anytime.  The support team will provide with further technical assistance. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 10
Issen
Tutor

Hi,

Intresseting, I have now reset one of the switches to factory default.

And it seems to work better now, (at least on the GS748Tv5) and I can now communicate between Firewall - Switch and WLAN Switch on the same VLAN. (Unttaged)

Will get back with more information when I start using multiple Tagged VLAN on the same port.

/Christian

Message 7 of 10
Issen
Tutor

Hi,

I have got a Service window yet to reset the GS724 Switches yet.

I hope to do this tomorrow.

/C

Message 8 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Issen,

Hope everything would be fine.  Keep us posted. 🙂

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 10
Issen
Tutor

Hi Dane,

I found the issue, maybe the factory default worked. 

But I think I see the issue with the GUI. (That's way I don't like GUI).

But when I go in to VLAN Members and click on the Check-Box for Untagged and Taggen Network on the Switches.

It really doesn't change anything really. Because when I go in to Port PVID and change PVID, then it doesn't work.

But if I skip the VLAN Member tab and change for each VLAN and instead go direct to PVID Configuration Tab and add all information direct under feild PVID, VLAN Member and VLAN Tag direct, then it works.

But again, this is not 100% verified but it looks like that.

Another idea that maybe is the problem, was that the first Configuration I did was containing local characters such ÅÄÖ from the Swedish langauge. And after the factory default I have only use English characters and maybe that helped aswell. 

But as I said, I have 1 switch left to play with so I will probably play around with that when I get back from my vacation.

Thanks

Christian Svensson

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements