× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

AirCard 770s no battery error

GlenRoberts
Initiate

Re: AirCard 770s no battery error UPDATE

See my (GlenRoberts) message posted 11/20/2015.

Message 26 of 62
cathyr
Tutor

Re: AirCard 770s no battery error UPDATE

Great advice thank you.

I did a factory re-set and may have solved the problem that way, we'll see if the errors pop up again.  If so I'll remove the battery and SIM card as you suggested.  Glad you are up and running again.

Message 27 of 62
Rcmaling
Tutor

Re: AirCard 770s no battery error

I tried removing the sim, battery and factory reset...nothing worked. Also I tried using it without a battery installed but it would not start... I will probably buy a new one on Amazon then look for another solution when my ATT contract is finished. Unfortunately we do not have DSL available in our rural location.
Message 28 of 62
cathyr
Tutor

After going through two replacement batteries, two factory re-sets, removing the SIM card and battery the unit is now showing the No Battery error again.  Each time, the battery has to be removed and replaced.  Nothing has worked for more than a day or two.  No one at ATT or NetGear has been able to fix it.  They want us to buy another unit - no chance! With a year left on our contract all I can do is put up with it and not renew the contract. I'll never buy another NetGear product either.  After seeing all the complaints here with the same exact problems I have no doubts that ATT knows about whatever this defect is but is still selling the units.  Shameful.  I'm done with this shoddy POS.

Message 29 of 62
JasonE
Aspirant

Same issue for me also, and googling the problem it seems to be wide spread..  I went looking for a replacement device and my only option is another updated netgear product for my carrier..  I dont know if i want to risk it considering this is a known replicatable issues with this product..  does the new version have the same flaw?  

I have tried everything, new battery pack , factory resets, pulling the sim ect..  even setting the screen time out to never go to sleep, same isues..  I tossed money at this with new batteries, and my carrier must also be loosing money on the data I could have been using with them with a properly working device... that I am not using now.. 

Netgear fix this product or make it right for your customers and restore faith in your company's products. 

Message 30 of 62
cathyr
Tutor

Hi Jason sorry you are having the same problems we had.  There's no fix but to buy another device, and the AT&T store had one called the AT&T Velocity (not a NetGear product) that so far is working just fine.  We paid about $100 out of pocket.  No refund on the 770s, we were one year into our 2 year contract and the warranty ran out.

Message 31 of 62
frogclass41
Aspirant

I am on my 4th ATT Netgear hotspot in 3 years. Latest one only lasted 9 months. Same error message No Battery. Batteries are Not the problem. They must be just poor quality. It's great when it works but I use it for business and I need reliability.
Message 32 of 62
MadTechSkilz
Aspirant

Just began experiencing the same issue on my Sprint NETGEAR AirCard 771S

I work in tech support for an unrelated business. I have read through this message board, and all the workarounds everyone has tried, and seeing how wide spread the issue is.

Problem

NETGEAR AirCard 771S reports "No Battery" and will not function

Model

NETGEAR AirCard 771S

Analysis:

1. How likely is it that so many batteries are going bad within such a short time frame? No very!

2. New battery... still issues

3. Factory reset... still issues

4. Reseat SIM card... still issues

Questions:

1. Has anyone checked the firmware version?

I believe that,perhaps, NETGEAR released a firmware upgrade that has a defect that is triggering the "No Battery" error on these devices. Since the firmware is automatically updated upon connection to the internet, and consumers are unable to block firmware upgrades (to the best of my knowledge), it points to the most likely reason for these issues.

If we all can share the firmware version of our problematic devices, we may be able to identify the faulty firmware versions. Then NETGEAR can, perhaps, release a new firmware version with a fix.

Model: AirCard 771S

Firmware Version: NTG9X15C_45.04.12.05

Firmware Build Date: 01/19/14

Message 33 of 62
jor
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interesting theory, but not sure that's the problem. firmware versions both before and after factory reset are unfortunately the same for 770S:

Version NTG9X15C_01.18.02.00 

Build date 09/30/14

side note, i have several of these for different devices located in different places and am now having the same issues with all of them. 

Message 34 of 62
VAMike
Aspirant

I can verify that doing a factory reset and installing a new battery will not resolve the "No Battery" condition on the AirCard 770s.  I'm looking for a better unit.  Any suggestions?

Message 35 of 62
engdp
Aspirant

Same Problem. Have had unit working well for over a year....Just started the No Battery issue and locking up about a week ago (Early April 2016). Found this thread and thought I would add my 2 cents for what it is worth as I have not seen a solution anywhere. All suggestions in this thread have not worked for me. Thanks to anyone who can provide a solution. Else will be getting something else as we are full time RV'ers and this hotspot is our only lifeline to the internet, banking, and so much more. At this point....  next one will not be a Netgear.

Firmware Version NTG9X15C_45.04.12.05

Firmware Build Date 01/19/14

Web App Version AC771S_03.02.54.01

Bootloader Version NTG9X15C_45.04.12.05

Model: AirCard 771S|NETGEAR Zing Mobile Hotspot for Sprint
Message 36 of 62
opera88
Aspirant

I am having the same problems as everyone above. In my opinion, ATT has sold us a product that only has a life of one year (give or take a few months).  Then they force customers to sign up for a two year contract, knowing in many cases, the product will not sustain the warranty period.  Therefore, ATT must either release it’s customers from their contract or replace the products at no cost.  It would be illegal for ATT to charge customers for a product that should survive the warranty period.  

Model: AirCard 770S (AT&T)|AT&T Unite
Message 37 of 62
D001
Aspirant

We have three of these devices. I did an update on two of them to the Firmware NTG9X15C_01.18.02.00 - Build date 09/30/14. The two devices started acting up and providing the no battery error message shortly therafter. The device that didn't fail is working fine.

I have suspected the firmware update but after reading these posts Iconvinced the batteries are not at fault and it's all firmware. 

Model: AirCard 770S|AirCard 770S (AT&T Unite) Mobile Hotspot
Message 38 of 62
Duckdad62
Aspirant

I agree with this conclusion considering our position as end users. All the providers must know of the issue. Oddly my problem started about 3 weeks ago. All the symptoms as have been noted. My build date is 05/01/14 I just reset and same date. Why wouldn't it upgrade? I think there is firmware problem. Software check says no update. The fact that time of problem is so consistent and that when it works it's ok makes me think there's an unseen problem like maleware affecting download firm/software. Whatever there should be a resolution for this lemon. I do not know what agency could help. If any ideas on this I would be glad to support it. JL
Message 39 of 62
Duckdad62
Aspirant

This is for MADTECHSKILZ. WHY FORUM PUT IT HERE I DO NOT KNOW. JL
Message 40 of 62
engdp
Aspirant

Clearly this is a firmware upgrade that introduced a problem bigger than what was trying to be improved. Thirty years working for a company that did software updates a couple times a year ...I saw it far too often. Just as an FYI ... removing the battery and keeping it on the power cord has worked for me. Some mornings it has shut off and I need to unplug and re-plug it in again....so it has not been too much of an inconvenience. But it works for me. 

Message 41 of 62
RaeM
Aspirant

I too am having the no battery issue. All of the suggestions mentioned have been tried also without success. Tried the remove battery and using cord, but it keeps resetting. I have 6 months left on my contract and will be dropping from AT&T most likely. Can use my cell phone as a wifi hotspot for the laptop but don't like doing so. Device was working fine until about a week ago. I need laptop/computer connectivity and replaced a USB modem that was working fine, and gave me no problems for 4 years, with this device and am extremely unsatisfied.   Sounds like a class action lawsuit to me. Hmmm....

Firmware NTG9X15C_01.18.02.00

Build Date 09/30/14

Message 42 of 62
Mary_Cooper
Aspirant

I bought a certified refurbushed Untie in October 2014 and started getting the "No battery" message on June 1, 2016. When this happens, the Unite stops working. I have NOT tried replacing the battery, yet, but have just been removing and replacing the existing battery. It will then run for short periods before displaying the "No battery" message again.

I am also getting a software update failure message.

Firmware Version NTG9X15C_01.18.01.00

Firmware Build Date 05/01/14

When I go to http://attunite to manage the device, and go to Settings/Device/Software Reset and choose "Software Update" I get:

Update Error

There was a problem updating your device. Please try again later.

This is also displayed directly on the device's touchscreen.

Model: AirCard 770S (AT&T)|AT&T Unite
Message 43 of 62
cathyr
Tutor

Over a year and still not a peep out of Netgear (or AT&T on their community forum).

Wish I had known before I bought this.

Message 44 of 62
PattyC
Aspirant

Add one more voice of complaint.

Same message, same problem.

For now, removing the battery & keeping the unit plugged in seems to work.

Thanks for that tip, & for saving me money on a new battery and/or unit.

We are 1.5 years into a 2.0 contract with AT&T.

Class Action Lawsuit sounds like a great idea!

Before that, had a Verizon hot spot -- didn't like the reliability of that one, either.

Currently live in rural area with no option for cable internet or DSL.

Anyone have an alternative suggestion for internet access?

Message 45 of 62
Damon58
Aspirant

Add my grouse to the covey. Twice. Replaced my modem last year for the same reason. Had to buy the same model 771S as Sprint said it was the only model my plan would work on. Sounded like BS to me, but hard to argue with a Gorilla .

Both units lasted almost exactly a year before the "No Battery" error starts popping up. Really torques my bolts.

Units work great when they work. 

Error seems to pop up at the point where the battery is either full and calling to be disconnected or empty and asking to be plugged in.

Firmware version NTG9X15C_45.04.12.05

Build Date 01/19/14

Message 46 of 62
Bob-Z
Aspirant

AirCard 771s "No Battery" error w/ W-8 & W-5 batteries

I received a Re-Furbished AC771S (Netgear Zing) from FreedomPop.

It came with a W-8 Battery.

When powered-up, It displays "NO BATTERY" status on top line & "Battery Level Critical" message, then powered down shortly.

It was Charged overnight, Same symptoms.

FreedomPop sent me a W-5 replacement battery.

The Hotspot seemed to powers-up correctly & shows % Battery Charge & Senses that a Charger is attached.

But, after ~15Min, it reverts back to the "NO-BATTERY" display & "Battery Level Critical" message.

Removing the battery Cover has no effect.

Firmware Version: NTG9X15C_45.04.12.05

Firmware Build Date: 01/19/14

PRI version: 00.52

Web App Version: AC771S_03.02.54.01

Unable to Check for Software Updates: "Problem Updating your Device"

Also, Sometimes the Touchscreen "Locks-Up" !

Do I have a Defective HotSpot or just a Bad Firmware version ?

Model: AirCard 771S (Sprint)|NETGEAR Zing Mobile Hotspot for Sprint
Message 47 of 62
Damon58
Aspirant

Re: AirCard 771s "No Battery" error w/ W-8 & W-5 batteries

This seems to be a fairly common problem with this model of wifi router. I own two of them and the same problem has occurred with both of them shortly after one year of use. 

Netgear does not seem to have a solution as near as I can tell. It tends to occur after the year warranty expires so they don't seem to care that they have a s___ty problem. I, and others, have mused that it might be intentional. 

My solution is to run mine on a USB power supply cord. However, It is not a stable solution as the modem shuts or restarts at seemingly random intervals at least once per day and often multiple times. When it shuts down, I have to unplug the power cord and reinsert to restart the modem.

It does seem to be more stable than the "no battery" error which seems to occur when the battery level reaches minimum unplugged or maximum while plugged.

I'm on Sprint with mine and they say a Pocket Wifi unit would also deal with my data plan. I'm currently researching that option.

Sorry for your trouble. You might demand a refund for a faulty product.
Message 48 of 62
sfphoto
Aspirant

W-6 battery in 770s

I replaced the W-5 battery (original) with a W-8 and got another year (+/-) of use.

The W-8 is from the newer 779 so may be that the W-5's are old stock?

Wonder now if a W-6 from the 781 would work? May prohibit the use of the battery cover.

Message 49 of 62
Mhopk
Aspirant

Re: AirCard 771s "No Battery" error w/ W-8 & W-5 batteries

I have a 771S on Sprint and it worked great for 2 yrs. but started with the no battery issue last week. So I ordered a new battery thinking that was the problem. While I was waiting for the new battery I read a post where someone said it was a software change and it would work if you lay it on a blue ice pack. I tried it and it worked on the old battery fine and I'm still using it on the new battery as it didn't help the issue. As long as it is cold it works but if it gets back to room temperature it says no battery and locks up. Sprint support refers me to Netgear and Netgear refers me to Sprint.

Message 50 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7