Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Benefits of installation on computers

jkimrey
Aspirant

Benefits of installation on computers

Can someone please explain the benefits of installing the Netgear Armor software on individual computers vs. just running on the router?

I have a lower spec'd laptop and installing the software on it really slows it down - wondering what I lose when uninstalling it from the laptop and just running on the router.

I understand I'd lose the protection when away from home (not connected to the router) - what other benefits would I be missing?

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Re: Benefits of installation on computers

It's cheaper for one thing, since you only pay for ONE liscense, regardless of the number of devices you have on your network. 

You can't have Armor installed on individual computers and other devices, since it is meant to be installed on the router. Netgear Armor is based on Bitdefender, a security software that you could indeed install on a specified number of individual computer and devices. But the latter set up usually takes a toll on the system performance of each protected device.

By installing ARMOR, Bitdefender does its work BEFORE it gets to your computers and other devices; such that each device should in theory not suffer from any performance deterioration.

However, I have yet to see any reliable tests that addresses the performance hit, if any, of using Netgear Armor when streaming videos, Netfilix for example. Since everything coming from the internet is scanned/monitored by Armor, I have to assume that there would be some performance hit. As to how that would compare with the performance hit from stand-alone AV/Security software on a single machine, I have no clue.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7