Protect Yourself From Cybercrime: National Cyber Security Awareness Month
With National Cyber Security Awareness Month in effect, now is a good time as ever to be proactive in protecting yourself from cyber threats. Everyday thousands of people fall victim to viruses, spyware, and phishing scams and proper safeguards need to be taken to protect your network and data.
Here are a few statistics that show the serious threat of Cybercrime:
- Every 39 seconds, 1-in-3 Americans are hacked each year
- More than 4,000 Ransomware attacks occur every day
- 95% of successful Cyberattacks are the result of phishing scams
There are ways that you can help combat Cybercrime to help ensure you don’t fall victim. At the very minimum, these tips below should be practiced:
- Never click on email attachments unless you know and trust the source.
- Set devices to update automatically so you are always up-to-date and protected.
- Buy software only from reputable sources and never download or install apps from free sites or ads.
- Install credible security and anti-virus software.
- Change passwords regularly. Use a combination of numbers, letters, and case types to make it as strong as possible.
Additionally, you can try a FREE trial of NETGEAR Armor, which provides advanced cyber threat protection for all your devices, inside and outside of your home network. NETGEAR Armor will actively detect and protect your devices from cyber threats such as viruses, malware, spyware, ransomware, and phishing. Features that you will be able to try for free include:
- Network vulnerability assessment. Scans and identifies network flaws to deliver a weekly security report.
- End point device protection. Protects all computers, mobile devices, and smart home devices connected to your network locally (at home) or remotely (away from home).
- Automatic security updates. Sends real-time updates and alerts for events on your network.
- Device detection and management. Allows you to manage or block every device that connects or attempts to connect to your network.
Learn more about NETGEAR Armor powered by Bitdefender and try a FREE trial: https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor/
For more information about National Cyber Security Awareness Month:
NETGEAR blog articles covering the topic of cybersecurity:
What are some proactive actions that you currently practice for better cyber security? Share them in the comments below!