Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unknown Device in Armor, but not in Nighthawk Page

Skunky-One
Aspirant

Unknown Device in Armor, but not in Nighthawk Page

Hi. I've got a weird situation where Armor displays a device connected to my network that doesn't appear when I login to my router. My questions are as follows:

1) If I remove the device in Armor, does that just stop armor from looking at it, or am I removing it from my network?

2) Is there any way to tell if it's connected to Wifi or a wired connection?

3) This isn't my device, so how do I get it off my network?

4) Why would this device show up in Armor, but not the router page?

The device that shows up is an 

ARRIS SET-TOP BOX

Thanks in advance for your help.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Skunky-One
Aspirant

Re: Unknown Device in Armor, but not in Nighthawk Page

I removed the device from my network by increasing the strength of my password, and using access control. This was not my device. I plan to switch to WPA2 Enterprise encryption. That's pretty much kryptonite for hackers, isn't it?

It would be really nice if Netgear could build a radius server into their routers. That's what's needed for WPA2 Enterprise security.  Those servers don't need a lot of horsepower. People have built them with Raspberry Pi model B. That's a 700 MHz processor. I'm not sure if this would be a good idea from a security perscpetive. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
ChristineT
Admin

Good afternoon @Skunky-One ,

This is an interesting case that may require a little investigation on our part. This doesn't sound like expected behavior. Can you confirm if this is on the admin page via a web browser or via the Nighthawk App? 

I'll be back in touch asap.

Best Regards,

Christine 

Message 2 of 6
Skunky-One
Aspirant

There is one thing that shows up in the Nighthawk Admin page which might be it. I read that Arris Set Top boxes can be android devices. At this time, I have no Android devices using 5G wireless. I'm not sure why it would have been given the highest priority. I certainly didn't do that.

Is there any way to tell if that MAC address would show up as an Arris Set Top Box?

I'll attach files showing what I see.

Message 3 of 6
Skunky-One
Aspirant

The other screen capture...

Message 4 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Skunky-One, I've provided a response on your identical post on another board linked below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Unknown-Device-in-Armor-but-not-in-Nighthawk-Page/m-p...

To confirm, you don't have an Arris set top box in your network, correct?

Dexter

Message 5 of 6
Skunky-One
Aspirant

I removed the device from my network by increasing the strength of my password, and using access control. This was not my device. I plan to switch to WPA2 Enterprise encryption. That's pretty much kryptonite for hackers, isn't it?

It would be really nice if Netgear could build a radius server into their routers. That's what's needed for WPA2 Enterprise security.  Those servers don't need a lot of horsepower. People have built them with Raspberry Pi model B. That's a 700 MHz processor. I'm not sure if this would be a good idea from a security perscpetive. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7