× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1 out 6 disk X-RAID Failure

davsoft
Follower

1 out 6 disk X-RAID Failure

I've had one disk out 6 fail in my X-RAID setup. I thought the point of this was that one drive can fail and you can continue, but with the failed disk removed I still can't access anything. No Volumes are found. I was on RAID5, which I understand is supposed to be recoverable after failure of a drive. Is there a way to recover this or is RAID mirroring completely pointless?

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: 1 out 6 disk X-RAID Failure

@davsoft wrote:

I've had one disk out 6 fail in my X-RAID setup. I thought the point of this was that one drive can fail and you can continue, but with the failed disk removed I still can't access anything. No Volumes are found. I was on RAID5, which I understand is supposed to be recoverable after failure of a drive. Is there a way to recover this or is RAID mirroring completely pointless?

Sounds like there might have been a second failure you didn't realize.   Another possibility is that you accidently pulled the wrong disk.

Have you downloaded the full log zip file from the admin web ui?  Look in disk_info.log at the smart stats.  You should also see the serial number of the disk that failed, so you can double-check that against what you removed.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements