× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

8 TB HDD

hunger
Apprentice

8 TB HDD

I noticed that there are no 8 TB disks on the hardware compatibility list, even though 8 TB enterprise disks have been available for some time now and the specs for the RN3138 say that the maximum capacity is 32 TB, which is really hard to do without 8 TB drives. I am out of room on my RN3130 with four 6 TB disks and can't go to a larger rackmount ReadyNAS as they are too deep for my rack. Anyone have any idea when 8 TB drives might appear on the compatibity list or which 8 TB drives are supported by the RN3138?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
hunger
Apprentice

Re: 8 TB HDD

I have installed four Seagate ST8000VN0002 drives in my RN3130 and they appears to be working just fine. It took about an average of 12 hours per drive, plus an additional 12 hours at the end to create the new space.

I started the process Wed Mar 16 2016 0:59:03 and, with interruptions, finished Sat Mar 19 2016 0:45:33.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello hunger,

The HCL is a list of disks that were tested. Some users try disks that are not listed and were able to get them working. 

I personally do not know if there is an 8TB that will work with ReadyNAS OS6 rackmount models with the latest FW, but that is a good idea testing them then adding to the list.

Let's wait if someone in the community can share their results. 

Meanwhile, here are some discussions I found that have the same question that may also answer you:

Can I use 8TB drives in my 104 

Seagate 8TB Archive drives (ST8000AS0002) do work

Worth the read as one of them was able to use 8TB on a Pro6 running OS6.

Regards,

Message 2 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I suspect the OP is thinking about 8 TB enterprise drives (like the HGST he8 and Seagate ST8000NM0055).  If so, the archival drive threads probably aren't on point.

The 8 TB PMR enterprise drives should work, and wouldn't present the performance challenges that the SMR archival drives do.  Though Netgear has a policy of denying support if you use drives that aren't on the HCL.

If you do add this request to the ideas exchange, it would be good if you identify some specific models you'd like to see added.

Message 3 of 12
hunger
Apprentice

Thanks, Jenn and Stephen.

Looking at Seagate's Enterprise NAS HDD web page, it appears that the ST8000NE0001 would be a great candidate. Amazon has them for around $480. Maybe I'll put one in and see what happens. Hopefully, mixing it with my existing ST6000NM0024 drives won't upset my ReadyNAS too much. Alternatively, the ST8000NM0055 would be a closer match to the ST6000NM0024.

Henry

Message 4 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi hunger,

Let us know what happens once you've tested it. Also, I will encourage you to follow StephenB's suggestion in posting a topic about 8TB here.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 12
hunger
Apprentice

Thanks. I've posted a message to the Idea Exchange for ReadyNAS Network Storage as https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/8-TB-HDD/idi-p/1035290.

Message 6 of 12
hunger
Apprentice

The ST8000NE0001 is out of stock at all of my usual suppliers. Should be back in stock at the end of the month. I'll check again then.

Message 7 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi hunger,

Thanks for posting feedback on this thread. I have added a kudos to the topic that you've posted in the idea exchange board. Hopefully, soon you can order the 8TB drive that you need 🙂

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 12
hunger
Apprentice

I have installed four Seagate ST8000VN0002 drives in my RN3130 and they appears to be working just fine. It took about an average of 12 hours per drive, plus an additional 12 hours at the end to create the new space.

I started the process Wed Mar 16 2016 0:59:03 and, with interruptions, finished Sat Mar 19 2016 0:45:33.

Message 9 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi hunger,

Thanks for posting back. It appears that you have successfully installed four 8TB hard drives on your ReadyNAS RN3130 system. We're glad that it worked and didn't cause you any problem. You may continue to post feedback about your system or if all is set, this thread can be mark closed.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 12
hunger
Apprentice

Hi Brian,

Since my RN3130 has been up and running with the new disks without a problem for over a month now I'll mark this as solved.

Henry

Model: RN3130|READYNAS 3130 1U 4-Bay
Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the update.

It is possible that higher capacity disks may work in the RN3130 at some point in the future. It depends on what the hardware supports and what the firmware supports.

If the hardware supports it but not the firmware then a firmware update may resolve compatibility, but if there is a hardware reason for it not to work then there may be nothing that we can do.

One would have to see once higher capacity disks are available in decent volumes.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements