× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

APC RS 1500 - NAS shuts down during testing

NASguru
Apprentice

APC RS 1500 - NAS shuts down during testing

I just picked up my ReadyNAS Ultra 4 + last week and finally got around to loading 2 hard drives and testing it. My 1st order of business was confirming it's ability to stay active when the UPS was engaged and so far had minimal luck. For one reason or another, yanking the power to the UPS causes my RN to just power off. However, if I disconnect the LAN port and then pull the UPS power cord the RN will stay on most of the time. Plugging the LAN port back in while on the UPS with no line power causes the RN to shut down immediately. I'm also not able to power it up while the LAN port is connnected and powered by the UPS. It turns on and then immediately turns off while using the UPS for a power source. I only have LAN1 port configured at this time and have yet to try the second LAN port but doubt that will make any difference. The RN clearly sees the UPS and gives a status. I also tried 3 different UPS (2 APC RS 1500) and 1 APC RS LCD 1500. All three give the same results. I did move the UPS around to all 3 different USB ports and still no dice. I did upgrade the firmware again to 4.2.19 to see if that would help and no luck there. I should mention the upgrade button still says I have an update to 4.2.19 even though the Software manual states it should return you have the latest update. It makes me wonder if something is a miss/bug with the OS.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I did open a ticket with Netgear but have no heard anything yet. On a side note, should both LAN ports be configured? Will one fail over to the other or allow bonding for better peformance? Thanks in advance!

Model: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus [X-RAID2]
Serial: XXXX
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.19
Memory: 1024 MB [DDR2]
Volume C: Online, X-RAID2, 2 disks, 0% of 1841 GB used

Quick Update, the unit just started turning off on it's own now. 😞 Netgear is RMA a new one to me. I hope the next one last longer than 5 days. 😛 I should also mention it cost me $25 to ship the unit back to them and they do not ship the replacment until they have received your old unit. It would have been nice if Netgear sprung for the shipping both ways given the unit was essentially defective from the onset. It makes me wonder if I could have just return it to my place of purchase since I'm well within the 30 day limit but it's all moot now.
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: APC RS 1500 - NAS shuts down during testing

I would suggest working with NetGear tech support on this one.

NIC Teaming/Failover is only available on business models.
Message 2 of 5
NASguru
Apprentice

mdgm wrote:
I would suggest working with NetGear tech support on this one.

NIC Teaming/Failover is only available on business models.

So there is no 3rd party add-on to take advantage of the dual NIC on the personal side. I will call Netgear shortly and see what their recommendation is, but do remember slightly a few posts about power supply issues. I should mention that due to the hard drive/shortage/flooding that I had to buy/use HDs not on the HCL. I'm working to get HDs that are on the list but its proven to be difficult in terms of availablity and reasonable price. I could be wrong, but not sure that will matter much on a basic function such as this?
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

super-poussin has a teaming add-on. It's not supported by NetGear.
Message 4 of 5
NASguru
Apprentice

mdgm wrote:
super-poussin has a teaming add-on. It's not supported by NetGear.

Good to know and I'll check it out once I get this UPS thing figured out.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements