× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Add new drive to a NAS ND-312

Ematheu
Aspirant

Add new drive to a NAS ND-312

I have a NAS RN-31200 with one drive, I plan to add another drive but I don't know if I can lose my data when I add the new drive, any help is appreciate

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Ematheu

Welcome to the Community!

You don't have to worry about your data when adding a new drive, it should not affect the data 🙂

Once you add a drive, if your NAS is configured with X-RAID it will automatically have a RAID1 array after the resync. This gives your NAS a mirrored drive giving you protection in case of a drive failure. If you are on Flex-RAID the drive you will add will be available to be created as another volume or be synced as RAID1 as well.

**Still before adding or replacing any drive it is always recommended to do a backup of your data, even if your data is safe a backup is always a must.

https://kb.netgear.com/22894/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Adding-a-disk-to-desktop-models

HTH

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 25

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Ematheu

Welcome to the Community!

You don't have to worry about your data when adding a new drive, it should not affect the data 🙂

Once you add a drive, if your NAS is configured with X-RAID it will automatically have a RAID1 array after the resync. This gives your NAS a mirrored drive giving you protection in case of a drive failure. If you are on Flex-RAID the drive you will add will be available to be created as another volume or be synced as RAID1 as well.

**Still before adding or replacing any drive it is always recommended to do a backup of your data, even if your data is safe a backup is always a must.

https://kb.netgear.com/22894/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Adding-a-disk-to-desktop-models

HTH

Message 2 of 25
Ematheu
Aspirant

Thank you, but how I can see how my drive is configured? where in the admin page I can check it? thanks, also I was planning backup the actual drive to add  2 bigger drives but if it is now x-raid I can add one bigger drive and after they are mirrored, remove the small one and add the other big drive, can I do that? thanks for your help really appreciate.

Message 3 of 25
Ematheu
Aspirant

I think I find it, there is a picture

Message 4 of 25
StephenB
Guru

I suggest enabling XRAID first - just click on the XRAID control on the volume page.  If that is successful (as it should be), then there will be a green stripe on the control.

Then hot-insert the first larger drive in bay two, and wait for the resync to complete.

When that is done, remove drive one, and hot-insert the new larger drive.  Do this with the NAS running.  That will resync again - in two stages.  The first will resync your current 3 TB volume.  The second will expand the volume to fill the larger disks.

If you don't want to enable XRAID for some reason, then you will need to convert from jbod to RAID-1 manually.  You will also need to do the expansion manually.  XRAID makes this much simpler.

Message 5 of 25
Ematheu
Aspirant

Thank you, if I click on the x-raid in the tab on the right I not going to lose data in the actual drive? I can click r-raid and insert the new drive, wait till sync is finishe then remove my old drive and insert the other big drive, is that correct? thanks for your help 

Message 6 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Ematheu wrote:

Thank you, if I click on the x-raid in the tab on the right I not going to lose data in the actual drive? 

Correct - no data loss.  It's just a configuration change in the NAS.

Though as @Marc_V said:  Still before adding or replacing any drive it is always recommended to do a backup of your data, even if your data is safe a backup is always a must. Sometimes new disks can fail quickly (during the resync) - plus an unexpected power failure during the process could also result in loss.  

@Ematheu wrote:

insert the new drive, wait till sync is finishe then remove my old drive and insert the other big drive, is that correct? 

Yes.  As I mentioned above, you do all this with the NAS running.

Also, performance will be sluggish while the NAS is syncing (and the more you use it, the longer the resyncs will take).

Message 7 of 25
Ematheu
Aspirant

Thank You!

Message 8 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

Note that because the volume will be RAID1, your free space will be equivalent to only one drive.  The other drive will contain the redundant data.  I'm not sure that's what you want.  If you want the space of two drives, but no redundancy, that must be done with XRAID disabled (so, under FlexRAID).

Message 9 of 25
Ematheu
Aspirant

Thank you for your advise, I know what you explain, that was the way I have my other NAS to get more space but I was thinking if the drive fail I’m fry. Encause I lost all the data, that is why I upgrade drives to get it mirrored, thank you for your help really appreciate
Message 10 of 25
Ematheu
Aspirant

how can I fix degraded drive, and make the NAS recognize the 6tb on each drive?

thanks

Message 11 of 25
Ematheu
Aspirant

Please I need to know how to get the full capacity of my drive, originally where 2tb, I swap one and put 6tb, but after sync I get only the 2 tb, now I swap the other 2tb with another 6tb but I saw only show 2tb, and one of the dri ve sa VOLUME DEGRADED, I format the new drive in the NAS and he is zync, but I see only 2tb, how can I get the 6 tb to show up?

thanks

Message 12 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Ematheu wrote:

now I swap the other 2tb with another 6tb but I saw only show 2tb, and one of the dri ve sa VOLUME DEGRADED

The first thing to do is label the drives, so you know which drive was in which bay.

Then try testing the drives in a PC with the vendor tools - lifeguard for western digital, seatools for seagate.  Run the long non-destructive test.

If both drives pass that test, then reinsert the first 6 TB drive by itself in the NAS (powered down) with the other bay empty.  Power up the NAS, and check that your data is still there.

Then either 

• unformat
  • zero
  • or reformat

the second 6 TB drive.  Then hot-insert it into the NAS (with it running).  If you re-formatted, then you'll need to format it again on the NAS volume page.  Then (if you use XRAID) it will automatically be added to the volume.

There will be two resyncs when it is added.  The first converts your 2 TB volume from jbod to RAID-1.  When that completes, there should be a second resync - which will expand your volume to 6 TB.

As an aside - several drives in the 2-6 TB range are now using SMR technology.  They aren't a good fit for RAID - they can take a very long time to sync.  Some Seagate Barracudas are now SMR, and also the WD60EFAX.  If you happened to purchase these models, you might want to exchange them for CMR/PMR drives (for instance the WD60EFRX or Seagate Ironwolf).

Message 13 of 25
Ematheu
Aspirant

Thank you for your help, the drive that say VOLUME DEGRADED still having my data, that is the first 6tb I add, now when I inser the second 6tb I hit format, NAS FORMATED IT, AND THEY ARE SYNC FOR FEW HOURS, bout drives are Ironwolf 6TB, but I was afraid the first 6TB not expand to the 6TB, but let me see when sync finish what it show, thanks again, I see it still at 57.7% (already 2.30 hours running)

Message 14 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Ematheu wrote:

the drive that say VOLUME DEGRADED 

Let's clarify this.  The volume has multiple drives (now that you have added the second).  The volume is what is degraded - not the drive. 

The volume normally becomes degraded when one of the disks has failed or has been removed.  In your case, it sounds like it was reported as degraded simply because the new drive wasn't synchronized yet.

@Ematheu wrote:

... but I was afraid the first 6TB not expand to the 6TB, but let me see when sync finish what it show, thanks again, I see it still at 57.7% (already 2.30 hours running)

Syncing does take quite a while - every block of storage on every disk either needs to be read or written.  

It sounds to me like everything is working normally - get back to us if the volume hasn't expanded (and the sync completed) by this time tomorrow.

Message 15 of 25
Ematheu
Aspirant

Thanks, everything is ok

Message 16 of 25
Ematheu
Aspirant

LOL I try to replay with a picture and I get freeze couple times, after I add the drives I see

it say Healty but when I try to get to the admin page is blanc, look at the picture pease and let me know what can I do, thanks

when I try to log off it say UNDEFINED, I try to reset and come back to the same, pinch the hole for 30 seconds, turn it ON and wait, then the same thing, don't find the share drives.

Message 17 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Can you access the shares with Windows File Explorer (or Finder with a Mac)?

What status is RAIDar giving you?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Message 18 of 25
Ematheu
Aspirant

yes i went to my old computer with windows 7 (I'm using mac) and I saw the admin page I start the settings but it say one drive is sync, I going to wait , is weird because in raidar say Volume C synz, 0.0 but when I log in in my old computer I see it say sync 57 % I'm very confused

thank you for your help

Message 19 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Ematheu wrote:

because in raidar say Volume C synz, 0.0 but when I log in in my old computer I see it say sync 57 % I'm very confused

Me too, since you don't have a C volume.

Make sure you don't wipe your original 3 TB drive, as it does still have all your data.

Message 20 of 25
Ematheu
Aspirant

No that is the problem, that drive is from another NAS and I want to use in the DUO, but I try to format iin my computer and the drive don't show up, so I put in the DUO, and then another new 3tb drive, I try to reset the DUO but never give me the option to make the raid, it start and I see it recognize one drive as a 1 tb ( I think that is my ood drive) and then the other is sync, and is at 72%, I don't know how to make the DUO recognize my drives as a 3 tb. I hold the paper clip in the hole for 40 secons and wait but nothing, I turn off and back ON and nothing so I lose there

thanks for your help ( my ND-312 is working ok now after I upgrade the drives but this DUO is giving me a hard time

Message 21 of 25
StephenB
Guru

If your duo is running 4.1.x firmware, then it can't handle drives larger than 2 TB.

Message 22 of 25
Ematheu
Aspirant

Ohhh probably is that because when I reset it, I will check because now I deleted the volume, to see if the DUO recognize it, but I think the issue is the firmware, I will update it and try again, 

thanks for keep helpiing me.

Message 23 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Ematheu wrote:

but I think the issue is the firmware, I will update it and try again, 

The final firmware for your Duo is 4.1.16, and I do recommend upgrading to that version.

To be very clear - the hardware is limited to 2 TB drives.  It just won't work with larger ones.  There is no workaround.

With a 3 TB drive, the NAS size detection generally overflows, and you will see a volume size of about 750 GB.  Though I think there are also cases where the NAS behaves in other ways.

Message 24 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB was only asking the SW version as a way of definitively determining which NAS hardware you have, not saying that upgrading it can give you access to drives the hardware cannot deal with.  Due to some poor (IMHO) decisions with labeling, there can be confusion as to which version Duo or NV+ somebody has.  But the software doesn't lie.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements