× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet connect

JPHey
Guide

Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet connect

My NAS works fine....

I thought. Untill receiving this (yesterday and today  just before noon)

Ready NAS Alert Message / System,: Error.

"Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download
failure. Check your Internet connection"

There is as far s i can see, nothing wrong with my Internet connection....

So what?

Please advise!

Model: RN212D21|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (2x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet con

If you had looked though the forum before posting this, you would have found several message chains about this.  Netgear and ClamAV are working on it.  What we don't need is yet another message chain about it, so I hope nobody else replies.

Message 2 of 8
JPHey
Guide

Re: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet con

Thank you for your input. However somewhat moralistic. If all were ideal, the world would be a better place.

Message 3 of 8
JPHey
Guide

October 25 you informed that "Netgear and ClamAV are working on it". 

Since then things have worked fine. Antivirus definitions are updated daily

Untill today.

The same message as received October 23 and October 25 pops up again

Your finger pointing that i should have checked the community before posting my concern, unfortunately does not help. 

The question is ; should I just disregard the NAS alarm and wait patiently for a solution?

Nov 02, 2020 11:59:23 AM

System: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet connection.

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@JPHey wrote:

The question is ; should I just disregard the NAS alarm and wait patiently for a solution?

Nov 02, 2020 11:59:23 AM

System: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet connection.

I think that depends on how important the NAS Antivirus feature is to your overall network security.  I have AV protection on my PCs, and don't allow others to upload content to the NAS.  So I normally just keep the feature off.  

It sounds like these aren't happening every day, but are only happening occasionally - is that correct?

There is a workaround - using ssh to manually add a chron job to update the definitions does appear to work for folks.  Reply back if you are interested in going that route.

FWIW, I enabled AV last July on my RN202 when I saw the issues posted here.  So far it has updated the definitions every day with no errors.  It is puzzling that this issue is only affecting some people.

Message 5 of 8
JPHey
Guide

Thanks for stretching out a hand, Stephen B.  Your support is readable and highly appreciated. The error reported occurs occationally, with no pattern ; only four times during the last three months (August 7, October 23, October 25 og November 2)   As long as the NAS Antivirus feature seems of less importance (i.e. no external uploads) I guess I am fine with the few hick-ups experienced. Yesterday / today things work fine. Again thanks for listening and offering advise, rather than patronizing "not so trained" users.

JP

Model: RN212D22|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (2x 2TB Desktop)
Message 6 of 8
LarryMoberly
Aspirant

I am curious about this issue, too. My ReadyNAS 214 has not updated Antivirus since October 4th, and sporadically before that. So I see the download warning every day. This issue started mid summer, and I don't think it is an internet connection, per se, since most of the time it successfully sends routine information emails.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 7 of 8
LarryMoberly
Aspirant

I did finally see the more detailed thread on this issue.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements