× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Anyone using the new Western Digital WD TV HD Media Play

dgerson76
Aspirant

Anyone using the new Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player?

This WD TV device lets your watch movies/pics from an external drive, and connects to your HDMI TV.
Looks awesome, connects via USB. Great price, about $80. Checking to see if anyone has used this with ReadyNas Duo or Pro. This would be a great device for anyone not running Media Center.

http://gdgt.com/western-digital/wd-tv-hd-media-player/reviews/

dg
Message 1 of 27
Morbo1
Aspirant

Re: Anyone using the new Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player?

You can't really use it with the readynas because it's not a networked device. You'd have to copy your content from your readynas to a USB drive and then plug it in to that WD thing.
Message 2 of 27
jraneses
Aspirant

I'm using a WDTV with a ReadyNAS Duo. The WDTV is running the WDLXTV firmware which among other things, adds support for USB network adapters. I have an Apple USB ethernet adapter attached to the WDTV and can stream 1080p from the Duo over NFS flawlessly.
Message 3 of 27
ppftong
Aspirant

@jraneses

I have basically the same set up - WDTV running WDLXTV but I can seem to mount the media directory on the ReadyNAS Duo using NFS.

Would appreciate your help in how you config your WDTV and your ReadyNAS Duo.

Many thanks
Message 4 of 27
jraneses
Aspirant

ppftong wrote:
@jraneses

I have basically the same set up - WDTV running WDLXTV but I can seem to mount the media directory on the ReadyNAS Duo using NFS.

Many thanks

I'm not currently auto-mounting shares on the Duo, but you can easily do so by editing the net.mounts config file. Any direct mounts you create on the WDTV via ssh are retained between power cycles of the device. Note that turning the WDTV off using the red button the remote doesn't actually power it down, rather it just puts the WDTV into sleep or hibernate mode.

Here's an example using xmount, where nas is the name of the ReadyNAS Duo, media is the name of the share, and duo is the name of the folder that will show up on the WDTV:

xmount nas:/media duo nfs
Message 5 of 27
dgerson76
Aspirant

Great info, thanks for that. Do you think it will work with any USB-Ethernet adapter? I see some cheap ones on eBay, about $6.

D
Message 6 of 27
jraneses
Aspirant

There's a list of compatible adapters on the WDTV wiki: http://wiki.wdtv.org/doku.php?id=supported_usb_devices
Message 7 of 27
yib
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I own a WD TV player and have connected it to my lan with a Belkin Gigabit USB 2.0 adapter. However 1080p video streaming may get poor losing audio and getting choppy video for several seconds.
Now I am considering of buying a Readynas and connect it to my WD through USB.
The idea is that the WD will see the Readynas as an external hard disk and thus giving me enough throughput for 1080p video.

I this right or am I missing something here?

Thanks for your response.
Message 8 of 27
jraneses
Aspirant

yib wrote:
Hello,

I own a WD TV player and have connected it to my lan with a Belkin Gigabit USB 2.0 adapter. However 1080p video streaming may get poor losing audio and getting choppy video for several seconds.
Now I am considering of buying a Readynas and connect it to my WD through USB.
The idea is that the WD will see the Readynas as an external hard disk and thus giving me enough throughput for 1080p video.

I this right or am I missing something here?

Thanks for your response.

No, you won't be able to use the ReadyNAS as an external disk. As far as your current setup goes, are you accessing the WDTV using SMB or NFS? While accessing SMB shares through the WDTV works, it doesn't do so efficiently. NFS is the way to go.
Message 9 of 27
Luuuukke
Aspirant

Hello,

I can't access my nv+ media share with the wdtv live

readynas NV+
security mode: share (workgroup name: workgroup)
Default shares: media (no password) + backup (password protected)
nfs service enabled, and aslo on the media share (read write)

the wdtv live always shows "no media ..." throught the file browser, ect
it obly finds the nas name on the network, bu does not show any subfolder (media, media/xxx),
i tried username blank, anonymous, Gusest... no success...

the nas is accessible without password from windows workstation

Any help ?

thanks
Message 10 of 27
Luuuukke
Aspirant

Finally found the solution : use the share name as username for authentication...
so simple, but not indicated nowhere in the documentation....
Message 11 of 27
hdfreak
Aspirant

Can you share your exact xmount command? I'm trying to get mine working and keep getting empty shares.

Thanks!
Message 12 of 27
mekatoka
Aspirant

Luuuukke wrote:
Finally found the solution : use the share name as username for authentication...
so simple, but not indicated nowhere in the documentation....

Thank you so much 🙂
That did it, I tried all kinds of options but all I had to do was to match the share name on NAS to the username used on WDTV.

Up until now was using the DLNA server and with this option not all files were visible. For instance the DLNA server would not show ISO files.

I am using the following
-- ReadyNAS NV+ (with Western Digital 1.5 TB Green Hard Drives WD15EADS)
-- WDTV Live
Message 13 of 27
JohnWB
Aspirant

I am a newbie to all this & I am just about to get a WDTV live to use with my new Duo so this is of great interest to me.

Could you please give a bit more detail about using the 2 together, what I mean is

What did you call the share name on the NAS &

Where did you put the username into WDTV.

Are you still using the DLNA server & was it easy to install / setup & what settings did you use in Front View

or have you tried the UPnP AV system

Any advice will be greatfully recieved.
Message 14 of 27
JohnWB
Aspirant

Bump
Message 15 of 27
mekatoka
Aspirant

JohnWB wrote:
I am a newbie to all this & I am just about to get a WDTV live to use with my new Duo so this is of great interest to me.

Could you please give a bit more detail about using the 2 together, what I mean is

Are you still using the DLNA server & was it easy to install / setup & what settings did you use in Front View

-- My share name on NAS was --> movies
-- The user name I provided for the authentication was --> movies
-- Since I did not set any password on the NAS to access the share, I left the password field blank
-- You will see the authentication if you are accessing the share on the NAS via Network Shares
-- A password is not required when you access a share via the DLNA server
-- To enable the DLNA server go to Services --> Streaming Services in Front View and enable the ReadyDLNA and select a share and a folder (if applicable) and click the apply button to save the settings. The NAS will scan the media files in it and those files are then available in the WDTV under the Media Servers. But I would suggest using the Network shares as any new files added are immediately visible.

I don't check these forums often, if you have questions please PM me.
Message 16 of 27
JohnWB
Aspirant

mekatoka wrote:
JohnWB wrote:

-- My share name on NAS was --> movies
-- The user name I provided for the authentication was --> movies
-- Since I did not set any password on the NAS to access the share, I left the password field blank
-- You will see the authentication if you are accessing the share on the NAS via Network Shares
-- A password is not required when you access a share via the DLNA server
-- To enable the DLNA server go to Services --> Streaming Services in Front View and enable the ReadyDLNA and select a share and a folder (if applicable) and click the apply button to save the settings. The NAS will scan the media files in it and those files are then available in the WDTV under the Media Servers. But I would suggest using the Network shares as any new files added are immediately visible.

I don't check these forums often, if you have questions please PM me.

Excellent, thanks very much, just what I needed to know.

One little question, what to you mean by
But I would suggest using the Network shares as any new files added are immediately visible.

Do you find that the WD TV Live plays everything that you have given it & are there any special tips for setting it up. 🙂
Message 17 of 27
mekatoka
Aspirant

JohnWB wrote:

But I would suggest using the Network shares as any new files added are immediately visible.

Do you find that the WD TV Live plays everything that you have given it & are there any special tips for setting it up. 🙂

I forgot to answer in my previous response but I do not use DLNA server.
There is a possibility that my response is confusing ... I gave you the steps to enable DLNA server however, I recommend using the Network shares. Do not enable the DLNA server and simple access it using a user name that matches the share name on the NAS.

WDTV plays everything and there is no special setup required for it.
Message 18 of 27
JohnWB
Aspirant

mekatoka wrote:
JohnWB wrote:

I forgot to answer in my previous response but I do not use DLNA server.
There is a possibility that my response is confusing ... I gave you the steps to enable DLNA server however, I recommend using the Network shares. Do not enable the DLNA server and simple access it using a user name that matches the share name on the NAS.

WDTV plays everything and there is no special setup required for it.

Once again, thanks for that, much appreciated
Message 19 of 27

jraneses wrote:
ppftong wrote:
@jraneses

Many thanks

I'm not currently auto-mounting shares on the Duo, but you can easily do so by editing the net.mounts config file. Any direct mounts you create on the WDTV via ssh are retained between power cycles of the device. Note that turning the WDTV off using the red button the remote doesn't actually power it down, rather it just puts the WDTV into sleep or hibernate mode.

Here's an example using xmount, where nas is the name of the ReadyNAS Duo, media is the name of the share, and duo is the name of the folder that will show up on the WDTV:

xmount nas:/media duo nfs

When I try to use NFS I can not read any files or folders.
My current setup is WDTV running WDlxTV and trying to connect to the Duo.
cmd i am using.
xmount 192.168.1.75:/movies movies nfs

when using cifs, I can see and stream the movies. but for HD content is is choppy and that is why I want to use NFS
xmount 192.168.1.75:/movies cifsmovies cifs

can you tell me how you got NFS working?
thx
Message 20 of 27
dweeby
Aspirant

Bump? Anyone?

I have the same issue, I can read from the Readynas Duo via CIFS but NFS not working.

I added the wdtv's IP address to the root privilege-enabled hosts field but still no luck.
Message 21 of 27
dweeby
Aspirant

Got WDTV (WDLXTV) working with ReadyNAS Duo via NFS

I finally got the WDTV to work with the ReadyNAS Duo via NFS!

My settings are here, substitute your own configuration in the instructions:
[ ReadyNAS IP is 192.168.0.5 ]
[ NFS share is named MEDIA ]
[ I want the NFS share to show up as "ServerMEDIA" on the wdtv ]

I did the following:

In the ReadyNAS Share Listing for NFS:
- Set the Default Access to Read/Write (or Read-Only if wdtv is the only device to mount it)
- check the box "Enable root privilege-enabled hosts"
- and enter the IP address of the wdtv
- Click "Apply"

In the "Advanced Options" tab:
- set the share folder owner to "root"
- Set the rights to Read/Write or Read-Only
- Check the box marked "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings..."
- Click "Apply" and wait for all the permissions to be changed.

Reboot the ReadyNAS box. I think this is a critical step here, because I had no success until after I rebooted it.

On the wdtv:
- telnet into the wdtv, login as root
- type showmount -e 192.168.0.5
- You will see something like:

Export list for 192.168.0.5:
/c/MEDIA (everyone)

- Note the /c/ at the front of the export.
- update your net.mounts file to have the following:

xmount 192.168.0.5:/c/MEDIA ServerMEDIA nfs

- cold boot the wdtv. Either type 'reboot' at the command prompt, or pull the power plug and put it back in.

Good luck!
Message 22 of 27
bobinatcat
Aspirant

Hi all,

Figured I'd bump this instead of making a new one.

I have an NV+ with two discs running RAID0 and a WD HD TV Live. (Running native not WDLXTV)
Ideally i want to get it streaming using NFS, as the DLNA doesn't display everything correctly, if at all...

I have been through this thread but unfortunately it almost becomes as different language to me.

If someone has the time can they please help?!

Thanks,

Matt
Message 23 of 27
bobinatcat
Aspirant

Re: Got WDTV (WDLXTV) working with ReadyNAS Duo via NFS

dweeby wrote:
I finally got the WDTV to work with the ReadyNAS Duo via NFS!

My settings are here, substitute your own configuration in the instructions:
[ ReadyNAS IP is 192.168.0.5 ]
[ NFS share is named MEDIA ]
[ I want the NFS share to show up as "ServerMEDIA" on the wdtv ]
done
I did the following:

In the ReadyNAS Share Listing for NFS:
- Set the Default Access to Read/Write (or Read-Only if wdtv is the only device to mount it)
- check the box "Enable root privilege-enabled hosts"
- and enter the IP address of the wdtv
- Click "Apply"
done
In the "Advanced Options" tab:
- set the share folder owner to "root"
- Set the rights to Read/Write or Read-Only
- Check the box marked "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings..."
- Click "Apply" and wait for all the permissions to be changed.
cannot change the share folder group from "nogroup"
Reboot the ReadyNAS box. I think this is a critical step here, because I had no success until after I rebooted it.

On the wdtv:
- telnet into the wdtv, login as root telnet?!
- type showmount -e 192.168.0.5
- You will see something like:

Export list for 192.168.0.5:
/c/MEDIA (everyone)

- Note the /c/ at the front of the export.
- update your net.mounts file to have the following:

xmount 192.168.0.5:/c/MEDIA ServerMEDIA nfs
yeaaahhhhhhh, you got me at telnet...!
- cold boot the wdtv. Either type 'reboot' at the command prompt, or pull the power plug and put it back in.

Good luck!
Message 24 of 27
bobinatcat
Aspirant

Bump!
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 13 in conversation