× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Apps page is blank after a factory reset

chopin70
Virtuoso

Apps page is blank after a factory reset

After a factory reset, I restored all my data from backup

Once I was done with restoring all my shares and settings + all the data, I just discovered that the apps page is blank !

I can install apps from SSH, but no Apps in the portal

I read in the forum on old threads:

- I don't have the .freeapps folder under /apps/

- Output of these commands:

root@NAS-01:/lib/systemd/system# cat apps.mount
[Unit]
Description=Apps Directory
Before=readynasd.service
ConditionPathIsDirectory=/data/.apps

[Mount]
What=/data/.apps
Where=/apps
Type=none
Options=bind

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
root@NAS-01:/lib/systemd/system# cat home.mount
[Unit]
Description=Home Directory
Before=readynasd.service
ConditionPathIsDirectory=/data/home

[Mount]
What=/data/home
Where=/home
Type=none
Options=bind

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Under /data/.apps I don't have apps either showing

My first volume is /data

Maybe I did something wrong when init the volumes, but is there a way to fix this bug without going again in a Factory Reset + restore all my data again. This is really bad

Best regards

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Apps page is blank after a factory reset

@chopin70 wrote:

Ah, I never thought about it

I restored my configuration settings without reinstalling apps

The problem is that some of the configuration settings include settings for the apps (which are no longer there).  That can mess things up.

@chopin70 wrote:

But if some Netgear tech can give a few steps/hints to fix the issue it would be great

You could try using ssh:

# apt-get install -fy rn-dictionary freeapp-collection readynasos ca-certificates

Be careful to log in as root, using the NAS admin password.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 17

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It can take a little while for the apps to re-appear.  If that's what's happened, then doing another reset won't speed anything up.

Make sure your NAS can reach the internet.  If you have ssh enabled, you can just ping an internet server ( ping www.google.com ).  It not, you can download the log zip file, and look in connman.log for stuff like this:

Oct 10 05:59:06 NAS connmand[5608]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.002097 sec

If you see these NTP adjustments, then the NAS is able to reach the internet (since the adjustments are computed using internet time servers).

But this is more of a convenience than something you really need.  You can directly download the apps from https://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9 and then install them using the upload control on upper right of the apps page in the web ui.

If you want plex, you should get it directly from https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/ - selecting Netgear from the pulldown, and then selecting the correct platform with "choose package".  That would be "Intel 64-bit" in your case.

Message 2 of 17
chopin70
Virtuoso

Thank you

I suspect there is something broken. Maybe because I did a factory reset many times, and no longer remember if the last time the volumes were in the device or that I put them later.

Ping works, and the restore is done since 2 days now, so I doubt it needs more time. It was restarted a few times also.

I will live with it in fact as it is just a minor issue. It is not daily that I install apps

Best regards

Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@chopin70 wrote:

I suspect there is something broken.

This isn't unusual after a reset, and I don't think it is related to the details of what you did.

Message 4 of 17
chopin70
Virtuoso

I remember that I had this bug once and now I made a link maybe: on Factory reset, there was no internet connection for the NAS as it was all the time directly connected to my PC on the 10Gb LAN port, not the switch/router. I enabled internet connection for the NAS only today. Maybe it couldn't build the Apps database.

Since you say it is common, is there a definite fix or workaround to restore it from Netgear ?

Message 5 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you restore configuration settings from a backup before you re-installed apps?  If so, that can create issues because some of what gets saved can be related to those apps.

Message 6 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@chopin70 wrote:

Since you say it is common, is there a definite fix or workaround to restore it from Netgear ?

As I've tried to say, the available apps should eventually show up on the apps page.

But in the meantime, just download and install your apps from apps.readynas.com (keeping in mind that you want to get plex directly from plex.tv).

Message 7 of 17
chopin70
Virtuoso

yes, I restored the configuration settings

But vefore restoring, I properly created all the shares and volumes exactly as they were

The restore was to quickly set up the user permissions

I noticed however that File Access permissions were not properly restored, but at least the users and Network permissions were

Message 8 of 17
chopin70
Virtuoso

yeh, got it this time

Still wired why it remains blank !

Message 9 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@chopin70 wrote:

yes, I restored the configuration settings

But vefore restoring, I properly created all the shares and volumes exactly as they were

@Sandshark was asking if you'd reinstalled your apps before reinstalling the configuration settings.

You can create some issues if you restore the configuration settings before you do that.

Message 10 of 17
chopin70
Virtuoso

Else, I would have noticed it and I would have not restored my data before fixing it.

I am really questionning my self if it is not the fact I did a factory reset without the disks or that I did rest without connecting to internet before a few days once restore was done.

To speed up thing, I made a direct connection with my PC using a 10 Gbps LAN connection without using teh 1Gbps switch

By the way, the apps did not show again yet !

I am not going to factory resest again for this. But if some Netgear tech can give a few steps/hints to fix the issue it would be great

best regards

Message 11 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@chopin70 wrote:

The problem is that some of the configuration settings include settings for the apps (which are no longer there).  That can mess things up.

@chopin70 wrote:

But if some Netgear tech can give a few steps/hints to fix the issue it would be great

You could try using ssh:

# apt-get install -fy rn-dictionary freeapp-collection readynasos ca-certificates

Be careful to log in as root, using the NAS admin password.

Message 12 of 17
chopin70
Virtuoso

Sorry, I hadn't much time to test. I got an error with this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ca-certificates is already the newest version (20141019+deb8u4).
readynasos is already the newest version (6.10.3).
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  freeapp-collection
The following packages will be upgraded:
  rn-dictionary
1 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 32 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,297 kB/3,793 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,743 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Err:1 https://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos 6.10.3/updates amd64 freeapp-collection amd64 1566939625
  403  Forbidden
E: Failed to fetch https://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos/dists/6.10.3/updates/pool/f/freeapp-collection/freeapp-collection_1566939625_amd64.deb  403  Forbidden

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

I did not try the solutions suggested my the text as I am not sure it will really fix it or even break more the NAS

Any more help here ?

Thank you

Message 13 of 17
StephenB
Guru

The -403 problem needs to be fixed by Netgear (something's wrong on their server).  Several other folks have posted this problem (inability to install any apps), and I've duplicated on my own NAS.

The mods are on it, so hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Message 14 of 17
chopin70
Virtuoso

I will test in a few days/weeks and once fixed, I give feedback here

Thank you again

Message 15 of 17
chopin70
Virtuoso

Thank you, your command fixed it.

Can you provide some info on how it did, because here's teh output of the command:

root@NAS-01:~# apt-get install -fy rn-dictionary freeapp-collection readynasos ca-certificates
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
rn-dictionary is already the newest version (20200514).
freeapp-collection is already the newest version (1566939625).
ca-certificates is already the newest version (20141019+deb8u4).
readynasos is already the newest version (6.10.3).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 32 not upgraded.

As you see, nothing was actually done, but it did fix the apps page !

Message 16 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@chopin70 wrote:

Thank you, your command fixed it.

Can you provide some info on how it did, because here's teh output of the command:

As you see, nothing was actually done, but it did fix the apps page !

Honestly I don't know.  I have seen other posts where that command did fix it - though as you say, in your case it doesn't seem to have made any changes.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements