× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup OS 6 snapshots to older ReadyNas?

ryanp
Aspirant

Backup OS 6 snapshots to older ReadyNas?

I Have a Duo, NV+, & NVX and now it's time for an upgrade. I'm looking at a 516. Will I be able to backup snapshots on the 516 to the older NVs? Rsync is my preferred method and it would be going over a WAN connection after an initial backup.

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backup OS 6 snapshots to older ReadyNas?

You can backup shares on the 516 to the older NAS.

More than likely you don't want to back up the 516 snapshots.
Message 2 of 10
ryanp
Aspirant

Yes, backing up the snapshots is exactly what I want to do.

Maybe someone knows if this would work.

Thanks in advance.
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

ryanp wrote:
Yes, backing up the snapshots is exactly what I want to do.
Why?

Each snapshot will consume the full space of the share on older NAS. It will not be stored as a delta.
Message 4 of 10
ryanp
Aspirant

Bingo! This is why I was asking if I can back up the snapshots.
Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

ryanp wrote:
Bingo! This is why I was asking if I can back up the snapshots.
Again, why?
Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A snapshot is the NAS frozen at a point in time. Backing up the live data you may get an inconsistent backup.

It should be possible to backup snapshots.

Snapshots for the Documents share on the data volume would be stored in: /data/Documents/.snapshots/

You can figure out what path you would like to backup.
Message 7 of 10
ryanp
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm for actually answering my question. That helps me with my decision.
Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
A snapshot is the NAS frozen at a point in time. Backing up the live data you may get an inconsistent backup.
If an OS6 backup job doesn't create a snapshot before beginning, it should do that automatically (or at least have an option to do so). No need to make getting a consistent backup difficult with btrfs.

mdgm wrote:
Snapshots for the Documents share on the data volume would be stored in: /data/Documents/.snapshots/

You can figure out what path you would like to backup.
Well, not really. They are actually in /data/._share/Documents/.snapshots

In there you will find a list of folders, looking something like "c_1405396809", with different numeric strings. Backing one up automatically (for instance the most recent) would take some effort, and it cannot be done from the web UI. What one might do from the UI is manually clone a particular snapshot, which then could be backed up more easily.

BTW, ryanp, I was not trying to be difficult. Understanding your purpose often helps when answering a question.

On my RN102 I have an "Archive" share with about 500 GB of data. Weekly snapshots are enabled, and at the moment there are about 30 of them for that share. Yes, I could back them up, but it would take 15 TB of space on my older NAS to do so. And that is just one share- and not the largest.

So it is possible but usually not practical. If you search the forums here, you will find a lot of posts from people who are wanting to know how to exclude snapshots from their backup jobs. There is a reason for that.
Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Oops. Thanks for the correction.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements