× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot Browse NAS from XP?

brandtz
Aspirant

Cannot Browse NAS from XP?

Hi,

I have seen and read the other similar topics but cant solve the problem...I am using RAIDar 4.3.8 and can see the NAS and its IP 192.168.0.15 But the "browse" button is grey and cant be pressed..Also tried browsing to ip and /admin but nothing comes up. can of course also ping it.

Tried installing readynas remote but install ended in error saying "Initializin failed" and gives error code -3 and an URL that I try to click on but no browser window opens..

The blue lamp on the NAS is slowly blinking...

Help....
Message 1 of 10
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi Brandtz

I, like you, have a ReadyNAS Duo 2 and I am running it from my WinXP Pro SP3 PC.

OK, that said, I am communicating with my NAS via a modem-router that also acts as a DNS server and allocates IP addresses to my various Internet enabled hardware. However, for my NAS I have set my modem-router to provide it with a static IP while my PC has whatever IP is available.

Therefore, I must ask you this silly question, have you configured your set-up so that your NAS uses the same IP address all the time? And if so, then is your router still using the same IP to communicate with your NAS?

Let us know.

UK Bob
Message 2 of 10
brandtz
Aspirant

The NAS and my computer are on same network with same subnet. The NAS has a static IP just so we know from backup applications which it is.
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Does the blink pattern match any of these? http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=324

Remote is useless for diagnosing this, and might get in the way - I suggest you uninstall it.
Message 4 of 10
brandtz
Aspirant

Its very hard to determine the blink "pattern"....there is the blue on/off button that more "fades" on/off, some longer and some shorter, the small "act" led under blinks now and then..doesnt seems to be a distinct "pattern". After awhile (like now..) I cant see the NAS with RAIDar and would have to pull the plug and restart it. (The NAS has only one disk).
Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

What firmware is running on the NAS?
Message 6 of 10
brandtz
Aspirant

How can I find out which frimware it is?! I cant browse to it either usign its IP nor the IP/admin ..

Took out the disk, now I can still find it in RAIDar and it says "no disks"...

But the blue indicator in RAIDar (not on physical NAS...) is still there saying (by clicking on help) that a "lenghty" background task is active...

Have tried to look at disk by conencting it to a USB-SATA and can see partitions but now drive letter in Windows so I cant check much more...dont want to mess it up IF there any backups left on it...
Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

You can't read the disk on a Windows PC unless you use a third-party tool like Linux Reader (http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/)

RAIDar would normally tell you the firmware also (at least if disks are in place). One reason for asking the firmware is to determine if you have a v1 or a v2 Duo. The labels are misleading, maybe you can use this guide and see: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how ... -or-nv-v2/

Also, if you are the original purchaser, and bought the NAS around the time you joined the forum, then you are still under warranty. So you could try opening a support case at support.netgear.com (using email).
Message 8 of 10
brandtz
Aspirant

I think it is a V1, despite it says v2 under, look at another of my topics in this forum.
It has no warranty left I think, me joining here is much later than purchase...
Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Yes, this post indicates it is a v1 (and back then was running 4.1.6). viewtopic.php?f=24&t=63055&p=353259#p353259
Did you ever update it?

Linux Reader should let you access the data on disk 1, but will not work on disk 2. Be sure the NAS is powered down when you remove the drive (and stays powered down until you reinsert it).
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements