× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Change PSU ?

usergb
Aspirant

Change PSU ?

Hi !

My Ultra 6 from year 2013 just died. 
I suspect a faulty PSU since the power outlet fuse overloads.

Honestly, my primary goal is to have a quick look in the RAID 5 and see if there are any files worth saving.

So I wonder, is it possible to replace the PSU with a cheap standard PC one?

Or better, is it possible to take out one disk and mount it under Linux and look at the content?

Model: RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Change PSU ?

Actually, the cables on a standard ATX supply are typically long enough to reach where they need to to use it externally.  What you may need is SATA to 4-pin MOLEX (old hard drive) connector(s), since the NAS uses three.  If you are going to do anything more than just verify the power supply is the problem, then make sure you seal up the gap where the cables come through with masking tape or similar so the air flows properly and the drives stay cool.

You will need an extender for the 24-pin ATX connector if you are replacing internally with a standard SFX format supply, and may still need the MOLEX adapters.  The most recent supply I've used is a APEVIA SFX-AP400W, but those also seem to be discontinued now.  It seems that anything under 500W is becoming hard to find.  Of course, a 500W or bigger will work, they'll just cost more.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@usergb wrote:

... is it possible to take out one disk and mount it under Linux and look at the content?

No.

@usergb wrote:

So I wonder, is it possible to replace the PSU with a cheap standard PC one?

If you replace the NAS with a current 6-bay ReadyNAS (or 8 bay), then you can migrate the disks to the new NAS.  If the array is undamaged, then it will mount the array as read-only so you can offload the data.

However, you can also replace the PSU. There's one on ebay at the moment for ~$65.  There likely are other models that will fit - @Sandshark might have some suggestions. 

You can temporarily use a standard PC supply externally, if you have suitable extension cables.

Can you confirm that you have an Ultra 6 (and not an Ultra 6 Plus)?

Message 2 of 6
usergb
Aspirant

Thanks for your help!

It says RNDU6000 , so I assume this is Ultra 6

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@usergb wrote:

It says RNDU6000 , so I assume this is Ultra 6

Yes.

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Actually, the cables on a standard ATX supply are typically long enough to reach where they need to to use it externally.  What you may need is SATA to 4-pin MOLEX (old hard drive) connector(s), since the NAS uses three.  If you are going to do anything more than just verify the power supply is the problem, then make sure you seal up the gap where the cables come through with masking tape or similar so the air flows properly and the drives stay cool.

You will need an extender for the 24-pin ATX connector if you are replacing internally with a standard SFX format supply, and may still need the MOLEX adapters.  The most recent supply I've used is a APEVIA SFX-AP400W, but those also seem to be discontinued now.  It seems that anything under 500W is becoming hard to find.  Of course, a 500W or bigger will work, they'll just cost more.

Message 5 of 6
usergb
Aspirant

Thanks for all good advices!

I will go for temporarily use an existing PC psu

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation