× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cheap options for 2 or 3 TB disks?

NASable
Aspirant

Cheap options for 2 or 3 TB disks?

I am just about to purchase a ReadyNAS 4+ for home use (msuic, videos, pictures), but looking at the official compatibility list, everything on it seems to cost double what a "normal" desktop HD would cost. Understanding that I would loose my "official support" options if I went this route, can anyone list drives that have worked for you that may be a cheaper option?

As a side question - are the 3 TB drives on the list likely to be the only drives that exist today that will make it on the list, or is the list still being enhanced? Do they come out with firmware updates targeted to support more drives? (I.E. Should I perhaps hold off for a few months?)
Message 1 of 6
fbmachines
Guide

Cheap options for 2 or 3 TB disks?

Welcome to the forum!

The Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI are great 2 TB drives and are around $79 normally. I've even seen them for $69 from time to time. Newegg had them for $59 last black Friday too.

I have around 24 (I lost count) of them without any issues. There was an early firmware issue with a downloadable firmware fix but anything now should be OK out of the gate.
Message 2 of 6
NASable
Aspirant

I found this thread talking about success with a 3TB WD drive: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=54149 and found them on Amazon for $125 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RORMF6). I went for 3 of those that I'll put in a RAID 5 config and have a little space left for future expansion.
Message 3 of 6
prometheus1
Aspirant

just installed a couple of these in my ultra 4
Seagate ST2000DL003 2tb drives from amazon and cheap as chips
Message 4 of 6
BrennanB
Aspirant

fbmachines wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

The Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI are great 2 TB drives and are around $79 normally. I've even seen them for $69 from time to time. Newegg had them for $59 last black Friday too.

I have around 24 (I lost count) of them without any issues. There was an early firmware issue with a downloadable firmware fix but anything now should be OK out of the gate.

Glad to hear this, I need 4 x 2TB drives (2 for each NV+ v1) and was sold on these except for two questions.

1. How is performance? I'm just using them for Flac and photo sharing
2. I have heard mention that Green/ECO drives shouldnt be used for RAID but have no idea behind the thought on this.
Message 5 of 6
NASable
Aspirant

BrennanB wrote:
1. How is performance? I'm just using them for Flac and photo sharing
2. I have heard mention that Green/ECO drives shouldnt be used for RAID but have no idea behind the thought on this.

1. I use mine for video streaming and have no problems handling multiple two concurrent video streams. You should have no problems with FLAC.
2.It's generally advised against because what makes them green are their ability to spin down (often) when not in use, combined with their slow spin speed. Often times people looking at a RAID array are doing so for mission-critical database applications where every microsecond counts. In those cases, you need the fastest drives possible - and anything labeled green is going to be on the opposite end of that spectrum. The only one we have to worry about is the spin down, and once you've run the tool to modify the spin-down, that's no issue either.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements