× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Compatibility list

Knorske
Aspirant

Compatibility list

Just wondering ...

The compatiblity list cites WD 2004FBYZ for the ReadyNAS 212, with a warning of "no support" if one installs a disk NOT of the list.  A newer version of the hard disk is WD2005FBYZ.  Will I run afoul of NetGear support if I do, indeed, load the 2005 rather than the 2004 versions?  Thank you.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Compatibility list

@Knorske wrote:

A newer version of the hard disk is WD2005FBYZ.  Will I run afoul of NetGear support if I do, indeed, load the 2005 rather than the 2004 versions?  Thank you. 

Netgear's never been able to keep these HCLs current.

I guess it's possible that some support engineer might raise this as a barrier.  But if you were to escalate it, it's hard to see how Netgear could deny support for a WDC (or Seagate) high-end enterprise drive designed for RAID and data center use.  That's just my opinion though, and I don't work for Netgear (or represent them in any way).

Personally I get current drives (NAS-purposed so far) and just assume that the HCL will eventually catch up or not be a problem.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Knorske wrote:

A newer version of the hard disk is WD2005FBYZ.  Will I run afoul of NetGear support if I do, indeed, load the 2005 rather than the 2004 versions?  Thank you. 

Netgear's never been able to keep these HCLs current.

I guess it's possible that some support engineer might raise this as a barrier.  But if you were to escalate it, it's hard to see how Netgear could deny support for a WDC (or Seagate) high-end enterprise drive designed for RAID and data center use.  That's just my opinion though, and I don't work for Netgear (or represent them in any way).

Personally I get current drives (NAS-purposed so far) and just assume that the HCL will eventually catch up or not be a problem.

Message 2 of 3
Knorske
Aspirant

Stephen B ...

Many thanks for your very "common sense" reply.  It is good to learn it does rein in some arenas!!

Have a blessed day.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements