× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Don't know where to start.... So Lost

DPBauer
Aspirant

Don't know where to start.... So Lost

Model ReadyNAS 102, diskless - bought used on EBay - can't Register device, says S/N is already registered and I can go no further.

Purchased a Hitachi 2 TB HD on NetGear approved list and installed in NAS 102 – RAIDar indicates that the unit is functioning healthy – BUT – unable to upgrade to the latest version of firmware, multiple downloads and multiple installation attempts.

As long as I'm lamenting on my current status, I thought I had done reasonable study of the ReadyNAS 102, but I'm starting to doubt that I will end up with the configuration I want:

This NAS is part of my Home Network, my needs are driven by my Photoshop files. I have ~1.3 TB of photo files that I would like to store on the NAS, freeing my desktop or laptop's HD from being overwhelmed. In addition, I have 2 USB 3.0 3 TB external drives I would like to plug into the NAS for off-site backup storage. All my Photoshop platforms run Windows 10 and I don't need any file access outside of my own Home wireless network.

If I put the effort in to setting up the NAS 102, is this configuration possible? I would be so grateful for any help to get me going.

Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Don't know where to start.... So Lost

The warranty is for the original purchaser when purchasing from an authorised reseller. Second hand units may be in questionable condition.

You may need to use this workaround to update the firmware.

You should be able to do, what you want, yes.

The 100 series is a cost effective device for use in the home.

Message 2 of 8
DPBauer
Aspirant

Many thanks, if the Registration issue only affects Warranty Issues, then I'm perfectly fine with my status.

Your “work around” worked perfectly!

If I could impose further, I see on the Admin Page that the device is healthy and it recognizes NAS 102 Hard Drive and the Hard Drive connected via USB 3.0 – How do I manage, manipulate, and move Files and Folders on the NAS as easily as I can for the data on my PC's Drive C:? For starters, I would like to move Folders over to the NAS 102 HD that contain sub-folders. Ultimately, I would like to open images stored on the NAS 102 HD in the Photoshop on my laptop/PC.

Thanks so much!

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@DPBauer wrote:

Many thanks, if the Registration issue only affects Warranty Issues, then I'm perfectly fine with my status.

It affects support generally - meaning that you will be denied support even if you are prepared to pay for it,

Message 4 of 8
DPBauer
Aspirant

A bit harsh, but all I want is the device to work for me the way I hope it does.

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's a common stance in the industry for the warranty to cover the original purchaser only.

Message 6 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

@DPBauer wrote:

If I could impose further, I see on the Admin Page that the device is healthy and it recognizes NAS 102 Hard Drive and the Hard Drive connected via USB 3.0 – How do I manage, manipulate, and move Files and Folders on the NAS as easily as I can for the data on my PC's Drive C:? For starters, I would like to move Folders over to the NAS 102 HD that contain sub-folders. Ultimately, I would like to open images stored on the NAS 102 HD in the Photoshop on my laptop/PC.

Thanks so much!

The best way is to map a drive letter to your the share(s) you will use.  First, be sure you can see the NAS in "Network".  If you can't, and you have a Home version of Windows, you should be prompted to turn on network discovery and sharing, which you need to do.  It may also ask if you want to turn it on on all public networks.  If it does, say no, this is a private network.  If you still can't see it, make sure you have the same workgroup setting in Windows and the NAS.  In Windows, right click "My Computer" or "This PC" (depending on Windows version) .  You should see the workgroup name toward the bottom, and an option to change it if you don't like the default.  On the NAS, go to the Ststem tab, click on SMB (Samba) in the Services section, and make sure the workgroup name is the same.

Once you can see the NAS in "Network", open it up with a double-click, then right click on one of the shares.  You will see a "Map Network Drive" selection.  Select it and just follow the prompts.

From then on, your share(s) just look like a drive in the computer and you can use them accordingly (at least with most software).  If your login name and password are the same on the PC as the NAS, then you will not need to enter a name and password for the share.  Otherwise, you can enter them and indicate you want Windows to save it (or not, your choice).  Remember that name and password are case sensitive on the NAS.  Even if you have enabled guest access, you may be prompted for a password.  Use "guest" and no password, and save it.

Message 7 of 8
DPBauer
Aspirant

Thanks so much, now I am not so lost.   Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements