× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Duo V1 Memory Upgrade : Recommended module at this time?

BadBrad
Aspirant

Duo V1 Memory Upgrade : Recommended module at this time?

HI Everyone,

In order to boost performance of my DUO v1 with respect to add-ons, I wanted to upgrade my stock 256mb memory chip to 1GB. I have read Netgears's official stance on upgrading RAM (i.e. don't do it and if you do, support will be denied) and read a number of posts in this forum related to what people have gotten to work. I also realize I will not see a speed improvement related to data access. Merely a potential improvement when it comes add-ons.

Does anyone know where I might purchase a 1GB memory module (or even 512 MB) that is highly likely to be compatible with my Duo V1?

Maybe some here knows were I can obtain an older module, who someone who just purchased a newer one a few months ago that they know works for them.

Alternatively if anyone here as a 1GB memory module that they were using reliably on their Duo v1 which they no longer need I would be willing to buy it off of you.

-Brad
Message 1 of 16
Etz
Aspirant
Aspirant

If I remember correctly (from my Duo which I upgraded to 1GB), there were an issue, with memory timings.
CL2,5-3-3-7 DDR400 SODIMM from PQI was the only one which worked for me.
Actually DUO memory runs slower than 400Mhz (DUO has 333Mhz Bus), but I discovered that its pretty explict on timings.

With "high-performance" CL2-2-2-5 DDR400 Memory it didnt even boot, regardless of the fact that memory modules are definitely capable of running on more "loose" timings.

As old DDR memory modules arent actually manufactured anymore, you may run into problems finding one... :roll:
(I had to buy my PQI stick from aftermarket, and this was already 2 years ago)
Message 2 of 16
BadBrad
Aspirant

Hi Etz,

Thanks for the information. I don't suppose you no longer need your 1 GB CL2-2-2-5 DDR400 memory module by any chance? I'd be willing to buy it off your hands since you know it works.

--Brad
Message 3 of 16
Etz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I dont have that anymore, as I sold it with my Duo... :roll:

And that other CL2-2-2-5 SODIMM is in use unfortunately...also it didnt work with Duo... 🙂
Message 4 of 16
environ
Aspirant

I've just confirmed a brand new Crosair VS1GSDS333 for my ReadyNAS Duo v1.
Works like a charm, but as expected no fancy speed upgrade, bottlenecked by CPU.

Exact type for reference:
Message 5 of 16
ryanp
Aspirant

Also just installed a Corsair VS1GSDS333 for my ReadyNAS Duo v1 (went from 512Mb to 1 Gb). Ran the memory test 2 times, both successful, booted and everything looks okay. The Squeezebox Server responds noticeably faster (still not screaming fast) which was my goal. No other noticeable improvements.
Message 6 of 16
pozo
Aspirant

FYI, I just installed this memory (which you can still buy in several webshops in the Netherlands) in my Duo and it seems to be working fine.
http://www.mushkin.com/Memory/Essentials/991304.aspx
Message 7 of 16
BadBrad
Aspirant

Thanks for the info!! I'll go online and purchase the memory from amazon or newegg later today!!
Message 8 of 16
BadBrad
Aspirant

Just installed the Corsair VS1GSDS333 memory module and I am running through the first time through the memory test now. Last night I ran through the memory on the existing 256 mb module just to make sure I understood how to start the test and read the results. Thanks to Afiorai for his post on translating the LED sequence from the 4 bay NV to the two bay Duo (since the duo only has two drive LEDs).

I'll let know how well the Corsair works for me.

Incidentally, The factory installed memory module was an Apacer SOD PC3200 CL3.(P/N 75.85387.G00)
Message 9 of 16
BadBrad
Aspirant

Well it looks like a no go for my new Corsair VS1GSDS333. Although it passed the memory test twice, when i tried to boot using the new memory module it failed to boot. I put the original 256 mb module back in and the units booted fine.

I will try once more tomorrow just in case it was a problem with seating the memory (though I would have thought that would have resulted in a failed memory test). If it does not work, I may be able to put the !GB module into our old Toshiba satellite laptop.

If tomorrow's try does not work, any other suggestions ?
Message 10 of 16
WSJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having a Duo v1 as well I'm Interested in your experiences.
But from what I've read so far, it seems to be a risky operation with unclear results.
And the performance gain seems to be minimal. So I do hesitate.
Message 11 of 16
BadBrad
Aspirant

Well, I tried the Corsair again just in case it was not seated properly the first time , but same behavior. The unit does not get through the boot sequence. I noticed that when it tries to boot, I get the flashing blue light and a few flickers in the drive led but that it is. I wonder if the parts are such that either the voltage or the power to the module drops during the boot sequence below what the module can handle.

Ryan P: I noticed you said you had a 512 mb module in your unit before you went up to 1 Gig. That must mean you had upgraded your standard 256 mb module to a 512 sometime in the past before going to the 1 GB. If true, would you be willing to part with your 512 mb module?
Message 12 of 16
BadBrad
Aspirant

When I dragged out our old Toshiba Satellite A85-S1072 (Circa 2005) I discovered it had 768 MB of system memory not the 256 I thought I had remembered it had. Further 512 MB of the memory is in a simm in an easily accessible slot.

So tonight I took out the 512 MB module and put the Corsair in the laptop so the laptop now has over a I Gig of memory on it. The Laptop seems to boot, run fine and see the additional memory.

I am hopefully I can use the 512 MB memory module (which just took out of the laptop) in my duo!!

I'll try that sometime later this week and let you know. Incidentally the 512 MB module that was in the Toshiba is a Kingston KVR333S0/512R 2.5 v memory module.
Message 13 of 16
BadBrad
Aspirant

Well it is certainly more than a week later, but tonight I finally got around to trying out the 512 MB memory module from the old Toshiba laptop in my Duo v1.

Ran the memory test twice, passed both times (although so did the corsair which did not work), and booted up the duo with the 512 MB simm. Unlike with the Corsair this one booted up fine and so far so good. The duo reports seeing the memory and so far everything is running fine. I'll let you know if I have any issues

One question though: I though I probably should do a timing test. Not because I expect faster performance on file access, since I already know from other posts that is unlikely. What I would like to confirm however is that my file transfer speed has not gotten slower. Although I have doubled the ram, I do not know for sure how this ram performs compared to the factory installed ram.

Any recommendations on testing file transfer rate?

I can run a test with the new simm and then put in the old simm and test that and compare the results.

--Brad
Message 14 of 16
jhnordeco
Aspirant

A successful 1 GB RAM Upgrade with Ready NAs Duo v1
w/ RAIDiator 4.1.13 [1.00a043] and 2 x 2Tb WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 Green Disks

I have managed to upgrade from Unigen 256MB DDR400 Cl 2.5 [2.5-3-3-7]
to Corsair Select 1GB DDR-333 SO-DIMM CL 2.5 [2.5-3-3-7] and it booted and is faster !

I could find in Sweden Corsair 1GB DDR-333 only with CL 3- value but I found with Google the Corsair RAM from a German web shop with description as above. The RAM is brand new one from their distributor and on the packet was only a ticket with p/o VS1GSDS333 G but without any CL-values but I was confirmed by the seller that the RAM CL-values are correct. You should be able to find the RAM from the web site with Google with description as above.
/Jorma

P.S. I saw even later on eBay a second Kingston 1GB RAM with the same CL-value [2.5-3-3-7] value as mine for sale. There are even other second hand Laptop RAMs for sale on eBay and those could be worth of checking and buying.
Message 15 of 16
gbe92
Aspirant

I bought today a 1GB module of Corsair Value Select vs1gsds333.
The memory tests were fine (I did them twice).
But my ReadNas Duo v1 does not start 😞
The symptoms are the power button which blinks and all other LED which are off.

There was no CL indication, so I can't say if my module got distinct CL
Regards!
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements